Youngest CAD victim - Yes there are pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Digger is into the small engine thing, you need to get him a leaf blower project. He needs something he can run all by himself after he gets it going. Plus, you get the added benefit of never having to rake again! I understand why you don't want to turn him loose with a saw, but there is little damage he could do with a blower. Let us know what the folks at the saw shop think of Digger's work. You never know, maybe they'll have a job waiting for him when he gets old enough.

Great idea!!!!!!! :clap:

Great thread Fellas!

Now its time for a mini bike and some Briggs lessons on valves!

You know what happens when you give a kid a 5hp briggs right?....... The next thing you know, 4 tires show up....... Then a clutch....... Then a pile of tubing......... A steering wheel..... And then he will want you to show him how to weld...... Ta da! Instant go-cart!!! That's how I got one! HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE.

If Digger is into the small engine thing, you need to get him a leaf blower project. He needs something he can run all by himself after he gets it going. Plus, you get the added benefit of never having to rake again! I understand why you don't want to turn him loose with a saw, but there is little damage he could do with a blower. Let us know what the folks at the saw shop think of Digger's work. You never know, maybe they'll have a job waiting for him when he gets old enough.

I wish I had thought of that first. Great idea! Maybe a wheeled string trimmer, too...

Rep for ya!!

This is the sort of thing I wish we saw more of -- "passing it on"! I remember being a young sprat, all bent out of shape because dad wanted me to come watch him work on the car AGAIN. FINE, I'll go get that wrench, what size was it? and then one day I had a car of my own and I knew how to work on it. It was the damnedest thing. I was actually as peeved as I was surprised at first, because I couldn't figure out how the Old Man had got one over on me so smoothly. Well, years later, those skills still serve me daily. There will never come a time when it's not handy to be handy.

Very well said. My dad did the same thing to me. I was under a datsun truck when I was 5 years old when he was rebuilding the engine, under the house with him doing plumbing and duct work. Rewiring parts of the house. Adding on rooms, roofing the garage. Making all sorts of things. He even made a woodsplitter that operated off the pto of the tractor. It had a rotating drum that you put a few wraps of rope around. The rope went up and over some pulleys to raise the "hammer". When you pulled on the rope, it tightened it around the drum and lifted the hammer, you then let the rope slide back for the hammer to fall. It worked. Not as good as a modern woodsplitter, but still. What I learned from my dad is that I can do anything. I have done everything from wire and plumb my own house, to build 500hp mustangs, to fixing old chainsaws that didn't run. When I was a kid, it was drudgery to have to do all that stuff when I had rather play video games or whatever. Now the skills are worth their weight in gold. I am a family practice doctor, so I don't use those skills directly in my job unless something is broken at the office :), but I use them all the time at home. My wife appreciates me being handy. Like one of the other posters on here, I have girls, and they like dolls, although the 2 year old sees me on the computer and comes up and saws "I want to watch chainsaw." (I've been watching the 441cm and the 576at).

Props to the op for getting the kids involved and teaching these skills. More important than the specific skills I think is the confidence building to know that "I can do this." With information literally at your fingertips with the internet (forums are awesome), you can learn and do just about anything. The attitude and belief that "I can do it" is what changes lives. Part of it is independence. Lots of kids nowadays can't change a flat tire or for that matter, even air it up. I could go on all day about this, because I think it is really important. Really seems like nothing on the surface, but the real value of what you are doing here is tremendous.

It's awesome to read all these stories of bringing kids up right. I was raised that way - a tool in my hand and the confidence to try most anything. I've worked hard with my son and daughter to pass it on.

My son is now 14 and works with me in the woods. He wants his own saw now, but wants a project to restore so he can understand how it works (That's my boy!). I'm thinking something in the 40cc range with a chain brake. Anyone have any suggestions? We work with all brands. I'd like it to be a saw he can keep. I still have my first saw, a little Poulan 2000, and it's still useful.

Very well said. My dad did the same thing to me. I was under a datsun truck when I was 5 years old when he was rebuilding the engine, under the house with him doing plumbing and duct work. Rewiring parts of the house. Adding on rooms, roofing the garage. Making all sorts of things. He even made a woodsplitter that operated off the pto of the tractor. It had a rotating drum that you put a few wraps of rope around. The rope went up and over some pulleys to raise the "hammer". When you pulled on the rope, it tightened it around the drum and lifted the hammer, you then let the rope slide back for the hammer to fall. It worked. Not as good as a modern woodsplitter, but still. What I learned from my dad is that I can do anything. I have done everything from wire and plumb my own house, to build 500hp mustangs, to fixing old chainsaws that didn't run. When I was a kid, it was drudgery to have to do all that stuff when I had rather play video games or whatever. Now the skills are worth their weight in gold. I am a family practice doctor, so I don't use those skills directly in my job unless something is broken at the office :), but I use them all the time at home. My wife appreciates me being handy. Like one of the other posters on here, I have girls, and they like dolls, although the 2 year old sees me on the computer and comes up and saws "I want to watch chainsaw." (I've been watching the 441cm and the 576at).

Props to the op for getting the kids involved and teaching these skills. More important than the specific skills I think is the confidence building to know that "I can do this." With information literally at your fingertips with the internet (forums are awesome), you can learn and do just about anything. The attitude and belief that "I can do it" is what changes lives. Part of it is independence. Lots of kids nowadays can't change a flat tire or for that matter, even air it up. I could go on all day about this, because I think it is really important. Really seems like nothing on the surface, but the real value of what you are doing here is tremendous.

I didn't know we had any doctors on here. It just goes to show how little I know... Thanks for the comments, I agree with you right down the line on involving our children and helping them learn life skills. My wife and I have always tried to steer the children in the direction of self-reliance and critical thinking about problems. I think those skills will serve them well in life.

Digger has picked up VERY strong ideas about gender and roles, which we encourage to a point. One of the things he does is "protect" his mother and sisters. He opens doors, he brings the wood inside, etc. I believe strongly that a woman can do just about anything a man can do if needed, but that she shouldn't have to. My sons seem to be picking up on this.

I want my children to have the knowledge and confidence to adapt to the changes the world brings, but still be grounded in the importance of God, family and country.

It's awesome to read all these stories of bringing kids up right. I was raised that way - a tool in my hand and the confidence to try most anything. I've worked hard with my son and daughter to pass it on.

My son is now 14 and works with me in the woods. He wants his own saw now, but wants a project to restore so he can understand how it works (That's my boy!). I'm thinking something in the 40cc range with a chain brake. Anyone have any suggestions? We work with all brands. I'd like it to be a saw he can keep. I still have my first saw, a little Poulan 2000, and it's still useful.

Maybe an 026 Pro? Small enough to start out with a 14 or 16" bar, but big enough to run something larger if the need arises. It's quality, so it should last a lifetime. There should ALWAYS be parts available for those things, 'cause everybody runs 'em. On top of all that, I don't know a saw that has been experimented on or modded more than the 026. There should be a huge amount of information out there about it when he decides to do a tear down and rebuild.

I suggest an 028 Stihl for him. There are ALOT of them out there, they can be had for not much $$, and they are pretty easy to work on.

I didn't know we had any doctors on here.

You would be surprised at the folks who like to play with chainsaws. We have a pretty amazing mix here in our dysfunctional family.

Maybe an 026 Pro? Small enough to start out with a 14 or 16" bar, but big enough to run something larger if the need arises. It's quality, so it should last a lifetime. There should ALWAYS be parts available for those things, 'cause everybody runs 'em. On top of all that, I don't know a saw that has been experimented on or modded more than the 026. There should be a huge amount of information out there about it when he decides to do a tear down and rebuild.

I think the 026 is a great saw! The one I have has a special meaning to me. It was my dads saw and the first saw that I rebuilt after I ran it over when I was 16. My dad passed away when I was 21 and that saw means a lot to me. In my avatar I say its the best saw ever, but what I mean is, its the saw that means the most to me. I don't have any kids of my own but, I have a three year old nephew that means the world to me. I think he will be just as into saws as his dad and uncle are! It makes me sad to know that he won't get to know both of his grandpas, but he will know that both of them will be watching over him. I hope to pass down to him what his grandpa passed down to me. So I thank Diggers Dad and all the other fathers and mothers for the job they are doing!! I think this is the reason im taking this thread to heart. We here at AS, should keep this thread going!! HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE

You would be surprised at the folks who like to play with chainsaws. We have a pretty amazing mix here in our dysfunctional family.

I am learning that more and more, and I like it! I never imagined looking for information on chainsaw chain one day would turn into this. Ain't it funny how life works? :biggrin:

We don't have children, but these are my kid's, left to right. Tanner, Jack, Jude. Tanner and Jack are brother's. We got Jude from the pound she is a sweetheart. I do have nephew's, and a few of my best friend's have kid's, so when they come around, I try and spend time with them. I showed two of my nephew's how to ride a four wheeler. We have taken two son's, from a couple best buddy's, they hunt with us, and we are showing them the ropes, with Boar dog's and Tree work, and wood cutting.

We're in Alpena, a little wide spot in the road in Boone County. Roger, who has the small engine shop in Alpena, is the guy who gave Digger the Homelite.

Alpena.......there's a machine gun shoot there twice a year. I'll PM you next time I'm going and you guys can come out and shoot some of my machine guns.

We don't have children, but these are my kid's, left to right. Tanner, Jack, Jude. Tanner and Jack are brother's. We got Jude from the pound she is a sweetheart. I do have nephew's, and a few of my best friend's have kid's, so when they come around, I try and spend time with them. I showed two of my nephew's how to ride a four wheeler. We have taken two son's, from a couple best buddy's, they hunt with us, and we are showing them the ropes, with Boar dog's and Tree work, and wood cutting.

You know my in-laws!!!

Alpena.......there's a machine gun shoot there twice a year. I'll PM you next time I'm going and you guys can come out and shoot some of my machine guns.

The kids already like shooting the AR-15 with the collapsible stock. I don't think I need to get them in "full-auto" mode. If you think saws are expensive, try shooting for a while.

Thought i'd post a pic of my shop helper, my nephew Ronnie. He wanted me to start the little 017, so I had to finally had to get around to fixing it. She runs good now!!

Great thread!
When I was that age, my father wouldn't let me touch his crappy electric chainsaw. Had to learn to use tools on my own (mainly with model racing cars). At the age of 13 I was already mounting a chainsaw engine on a bicycle (with no technical help). By the time I was a teenager (and forestry student), I was the one choosing his next chainsaw. I now have to drop by to fix all his mechanical problems. It's much easier when you have a dad that can teach you those things... Way to go digger! If I was still in the states, I would love to send him a project saw!

Great thread!
When I was that age, my father wouldn't let me touch his crappy electric chainsaw. Had to learn to use tools on my own (mainly with model racing cars). At the age of 13 I was already mounting a chainsaw engine on a bicycle (with no technical help). By the time I was a teenager (and forestry student), I was the one choosing his next chainsaw. I now have to drop by to fix all his mechanical problems. It's much easier when you have a dad that can teach you those things... Way to go digger! If I was still in the states, I would love to send him a project saw!

He's settled down a little bit at this point, but not much. We worked on a wooden sailboat tonight; nothing fancy. I let him do most of the decision making on design, material, etc, and really just helped with the power tool stuff. I can see in his mind he believes he can do about anything right now and I want to foster that idea by keeping him moving forward with more and more involved stuff. Not just hands-on, but decision making skills and so on. I didn't have a lot of that with my dad and I want it to be different with all my children.

I will tell him about your experience, or let him read it. He has enjoyed the thread quite a bit and has started to warm up to the idea of using the internet to his advantage. (It does more than games!?!?!?)

Thanks for your sharing your experience and kind thoughts. Merry Christmas wherever it may find you.

I just read through this thread and all I have to say is wow. There is hope for youth today. All I see is these kids buried in media type stuff all day and its depressing. Digger you :rock: Marc you :rock: My oldest son just turned two. He watches me work on my saws and has seen me run them. I bought him a used e-bay craftsman saw already.
spin_prod_534588201

He puts it on the ground, says, "Watch this da da", one hand on the half wrap and the other pulls the cord, then he proceeds to cut up everything in the house. Best part is, when I gave it to him, he needed no instruction on what to do.

Back