Youngest CAD victim - Yes there are pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DANG! I wish I had a father who would have helped me with stuff like that. Id ask when hed be doing projects, "dad, can I help?" "No. Now If you go sit over there, you can stay out of my way." Or the usual, "maybe later"

So I signed up for "tech ed" where we did wood working, and built CO2 cars, and a model rocked. (mind you I was in 6th grade.) I learned how to use the "basics" and then, I had the itch to get a snowmobile. So i asked for dern near 5 years. Got one 2 years ago for christmas. Cheap, worked, suprised it ran. It had a broken crank. Didnt expect it to run. So when he went on his winter ice fishing trip (never includes us) I ebayed up a used crank, and pulled engine. split it all apart, and rebuilt it. Know how? Yea. Taught myself. Out of books, reading forums, and youtube helped some too. He came home and I said "dad. Can I show you something?" we went to the shed, I showed him the broken crank "dad, Merry christmas." That was the golden rule. He intentionally bought a sled with a bad crank. thinking id get out of the hobby because of the cost. Nope. He learned that since he was not the father he should have been. he failed on me.

It doesnt help that when he sorta acted like a father, he wasnt. Then he fell out of a tree stand 20' up in the air. Crushed 4 vertabrae, 9 ribs broken, and gashed his skull in. I would have hoped that after 4 months of taking care of his equipment, wheelers, truck, vehicles, house.... that he would respect me. Nope, he changed. Sour attitude to everyone. november 6th 2007. Life has been different around here.

Guys, Dont do this to your kids. I love my mother to DEATH! but cannot say the same to my dad. He has failed me. I look up to my scoutmaster (im a life scout) as more of a fatherly figure than he. Too bad! Digger must be DANG lucky to have a loveable father. I love the thread, keep on keepin on!

sorry to hear that axl. sounds like you have the cajones to persevere. carry these lessons forward to when you have your own kids. some guys just aren't touchy feely but there is no excuse for being an ass to your kids. eventually you're gonna have to forgive him, for your sake not his, so it doesn't eat you up from the inside out. now, carry on and persevere.

As a kid, I learned a lot by holding the flashlight ("keep it steady!"), fetching tools, and watching the old man turn a wrench. Like most of you, I hated it but when I got older I learned quickly that there isn't much I can't fix. Now combined with the internet, there is so much free information and videos out there it makes it even easier!

:beer:

Way to go dad

That's really a great story. Sounds like diggers got one cool dad. +1

My pops is still around and knows much, but I can't ask him anything because he has a prolific temper. Doesn't communicate well.

I have to learn here on AS. Oh yeah wait a few years before you let him know about porting and modded saws! :cheers:

Adam

I threw a house party at 18 pops kicked me out, we didn't talk for 4 years. Now were close again. I have my own family and he loves coming to play with my kids and help me with the projects around my house. You can not imagine how badly I wish I could get those lost years back.
Wasn't tossed out, but I chose to leave. Worst three years of my life and my worst decision yet to not talk to him. Like you though we're back on track and ironically enough saws/firewood is one of our shared hobbies!

Latest posts

Back