Youngest CAD victim - Yes there are pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW Dad, Your killin the little guy.
Ya trainin him on a Mini Mac. He gets
through this saw he'll fix any saw.

Good Job Digger.

Lee

I let him make the decision on which one to work on next and I'm not pushing him on any of them. However, I will make him stick to it once he starts. I hate to see a job left unfinished or done half-way. I also want him to see he can work his way through anything if he puts his mind to it. He hit me up about working on it tonight but we didn't have enough time since this is mid-week service at worship. The other thing he asks about on a regular basis is shooting his .22. He's starting to get pretty good at it, too.

dd

Just read this whole thread begging to end...It is great to see you turning your boy to young man, your not just teaching him how to fix but you are teaching him so much more, patience, confidence, humbleness and lots more. Thanks for being a awsome father, leader, mentor

from,
One God fearing man to another.

Just read this whole thread begging to end...It is great to see you turning your boy to young man, your not just teaching him how to fix but you are teaching him so much more, patience, confidence, humbleness and lots more. Thanks for being a awsome father, leader, mentor

from,
One God fearing man to another.

I believe that's the finest compliment I've ever been given. Thank you. Of course, you have to remember the things I post here are our better days. I leave out the days where I lose my temper, get frustrated, tired, grumpy, etc. I hope I'm improving with age and experience. (and prayer)

Marc, everything OK? Haven't seen any updates lately.

Yup, all is well, just too busy to do much saw work. We did work on the Mac a little Saturday, but the replacement coil we bought didn't fire. He was pretty disgusted with Macs at that point, so I told him rather than continuing on it we could work on another project. We haven't selected a victim yet.

I did buy him a new Estwing camp axe for chopping wood; he was VERY excited about that. I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Oh! Almost forgot! He put one of the saws he rebuilt in an auction my neighbor had a couple of weeks ago and it brought $45. He was in high cotton for several days over that! I explained how the auction worked, we had to pay the auctioneer a portion, etc, and after it was all done he put $40 in his pocket. Maybe we'll get to attack some more this week.

I think a Poulan 2450 would be a good "next project", and it'll help erase the memories of that Yellow Nightmare.............I'm just sayin'

I think a Poulan 2450 would be a good "next project", and it'll help erase the memories of that Yellow Nightmare.............I'm just sayin'

Digger had a friend over last night and his attention was focused on HER, rather than saws. I'll try to bribe him with saw work tonight. He has an uncle that told him to build him a saw so that will be the next one on the list.

A certain left-handed Poulan from Cali is next on the list...:msp_rolleyes:

Well, after a long hiatus and some trouble with Mini-Macs, we're finally back to working on saws again. Digger and I took some parts from the Mini-Mac he started and combined them with some other parts I had to make a complete Mac Cat which he sold to an uncle. The uncle was cutting with it today and seems to think Macs are great. Digger is really starting to see a cash potential here. He's out NOTHING and turning a profit on everything he touches.

Today we tore into the Poulan Jon1212 was kind enough to send. Not just a saw mind you, but a complete saw, low hours, bar and chain, all in a nice case. Digger has been excited about this one.

We started with the chore of tearing it down and cleaning.

100_1126-1.jpg

100_1127.jpg

Those little hands are SO HANDY for reaching and pulling new fuel lines!!!

100_1131.jpg

And the finished product: Jon1212 even sent a SHARP chain with the saw!

100_1133.jpg

That saw turned out really well, and I'm glad it was an easy fix. $50 seems a little low.....LOL!!

That saw turned out really well, and I'm glad it was an easy fix. $50 seems a little low.....LOL!!

Digger thought that was a fair price and I didn't argue; he's done pretty well so far. Do you remember when $50 seemed like a LOT of money? The Mac he sold last week is running strong and doing a fine job for his uncle. I think he's starting to be a bit of a saw baron. He has 2 or 3 projects left and his little brother has 2 Homelites to start working on if I can drag him away from the Star Wars video game.

Congrats to your sons and more importantly congratulations and thank you to you diggers_dad! You're doing a really great thing here by taking time with your family and learning together. I just want to first say that this site is incredible, I'm blown away by the generosity and interest that is displayed among members here. It truly is a great site.

I read through each page of the thread and it is awesome to see the progress your sons have made. Being of this newer generation I have to absolutely agree with what has been said about the lack of trade skills and involvement of parents with their kids these days. As a business major at college all I hear about from colleagues is, "I want to make $____,____ and then I'll be happy." Even more frustrating is the reinforcement of this notion that professors pass on to the students. Sure money may make life easier at times but it should not rgovern your happiness. In the end it is the time and memories we share with those around us that truly matter.

Although my father and I have not spent tons of time together working on things, I will always be grateful for what we have had. I taught myself most of what I know mechanically and the skills I have learned give way to new interests all the time. The ability to analyze and diagnose problems in any situation is fast being replaced by a "do exactly as the book says" approach from what I can see in my generation.

Just remember to keep fueling their curiosity as you never know where it may lead. I'm really looking forward to following this thread and if I come across anything I can donate I sure will. Props again diggers_dad keep up the good work:rock:

Digger thought that was a fair price and I didn't argue; he's done pretty well so far. Do you remember when $50 seemed like a LOT of money? The Mac he sold last week is running strong and doing a fine job for his uncle. I think he's starting to be a bit of a saw baron. He has 2 or 3 projects left and his little brother has 2 Homelites to start working on if I can drag him away from the Star Wars video game.

Marc,
$50 still seems like a lot of money to me. The problem is it just doesn't buy much these days....LOL!!!
What is priceless though is seeing kids like Mason stick with something all the way through, even though they have other distractions tugging at them.

Max's turn

Max received some project material from John (tbone75) in the form of 2 1/2 Homelite XL's. He was ready to get started; they were already partially disassembled so we started cleaning.

100_1134.jpg

100_1135.jpg

We had to put a new rope on the starter. Once again, those little hands work great in tight spots.

100_1138.jpg

After the starter rope I believe we were being attacked by giant lizard Nazi aliens in the front yard. Max and Mason defended our house against them for a couple of hours before they moved on to a pile of dirt in the back yard.

His attention span isn't very long yet, but we'll work on it again soon.

Digger's 10th

Digger will be 10 years old tomorrow. I told him we could do whatever he wanted today. What did he choose?

Lunch?

Ice cream?

The park?

Movie?

Nope...

He wanted to go look for chainsaws. This is what we found for him. He made the deal from start to finish.

100_1233.jpg

100_1232.jpg

He paid $5. The saw has just over 150 psi and great spark. That's my boy!!:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back