Can this weekend warrior get by with just one saw? + tree pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raventai

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, noob here,

Got 6 acres of Florida Oak hammock that I have been carving a fire break around and walkways & driveways into, plus yearly storm clean up. I have had a 16” poulan for many years it was up to the couple times a year use I used to give it but this new property has killed it, it seams the oiler has stopped, it has spit the chain off twice ( scary ) cleaning it out has not helped, I really need a real saw.

I am not planning cutting down any of the large trees, the 85% of what I do is 3”-8” young under story hard wood: oak, sweet gum, red bay, hickory, maple, sweet bay, beech etc, Ideally I would want a small handy saw for this work,

But

There are some massive Live Oaks on this property (the largest 72” diam at chest height), some of the smaller oaks have fallen and some large branches have fallen in the storm season, there are many logs on the ground right now up to 36”, theses larger logs laughed at my poulan and they are still sitting where they fell. For these I need a large saw.

There is a lot of fire wood here so I eventually want to get a wood burning stove for heat, the heating season is short here though so more likely it will see more use for clearing than firewood.

I really don’t want to spend any more than $600 on a saw this year, I would of course prefer to spend 400 or so. I have both Stihl and Husqvarna dealers in my area, I have not yet figured out the Stihl model line yet though, from what I can tell at least on husky you can get much better prices online. Any recommendations on where online to buy? I have found site like Norwalk, Baileys, Southwest trading, northwest power tool, amazon, any others?

I probably really need 2 saws but I am hoping I can make do with one.

1 saw plan

Would a 357XP or 359 with a 20” or 24” bar be able to cut these large logs? Could I then get a 16” bar for the small stuff, would this be too much saw to haul around for the small stuff?

Could a 353 do it with two bars? I know it would be slower but if it is realistically doable (1 min or so max cut time) I would go that route.

2 saws

Should I just get a small handy saw now saw for the 3”- 8” stuff and let those large logs sit and get a 70cc monster next year? :chainsawguy:

If I get a small saw now would I be better off with a 346XP/353 size or is there any good reason to go for a smaller 7 or 8 pound saw? is the handiness worth the reduced power?

Last edited:
Stihl 260 - 361 will last for years and years
Jonsered 2156 or 2159 will last for years and years
Husqvarna 357 - 359 - 455 will last for years and years

20 in bar should do you

One of the above saws would be the only saw you should ever need for your applications.

Anyway - JMO

Last edited:
I'd go with two saws if at all possible, even if that means that you buy one now and another one later.

361/357xp could probably do it all, but it'd be a LOT of work on the bigger stuff and overkill on the 3" stuff. Maybe you could do something like a 353 for "everyday" use and, later, add a used big saw (066 class) for the huge trunks and massive branches that you get from time to time?

Unless you know your saws inside and out, I'd probably be inclined to hunt around for a good local dealer, even if that means paying a few bucks more initially. Otherwise, the folks at Bailey's are good people.

I use an 036 [about the power/ability of the MS361, replaced by it in the Stihl lineup] and use a 20" bar. If you want to keep it down to one saw, the 361 one for sure would work. I'd get me a shorter bar if you are trying to squeeze the weight down when limbing, etc., but the 20" is fine and I use it all the time even when cutting smaller stuff. If you had a day of cutting small branches, understory and etc., might save you some physical exertion to have a 16" bar in your toolbox....
Don't know what the comparable Husky is, but it would work as well, from what the guys here say. The MS361 would meet your cost parameters, or would around here, in Colorado, where I have seen them at the dealers for less than $600, with 20" bar and out the door with taxes. You could get something this size as your main saw and keep your eyes open for a smaller saw, used and not much $$ for those smaller sticks and limbs and etc. With the 361 you'll be working those great big hunker trees with that 20" bar a bit longer, but I've done it and it goes just fine. Biggest ones around here are maybe 36" and I don't cut down/section more than a half dozen a year, mostly 18 to 20" stuff. My 036 eats them up those smaller ones and does fine with the big guys.

Last edited:
Stihl MS440 :) Light weight and plenty of power. Any stihl or husky or jonsered pro model will do. Stay away from the MS290 or Husky 455 or 460 though. Lots of weight and no power. IMO

Stihl MS440 :) Light weight and plenty of power. Any stihl or husky or jonsered pro model will do. Stay away from the MS290 or Husky 455 or 460 though. Lots of weight and no power. IMO

I would recommend a 357 husky or if you like them a stihl 310.A friend at work does all the land clearing for Mr. Frier and all he uses is a 310 with a 20 inch bar.Go with what feels right in your hand most dealers will be happy to let you demo the saws.

I would recommend a 357 husky or if you like them a stihl 310.A friend at work does all the land clearing for Mr. Frier and all he uses is a 310 with a 20 inch bar.Go with what feels right in your hand most dealers will be happy to let you demo the saws.
He has a point!
I always say go with what feels good to you not everybody is the same! What's with you giving a Stihl some positive words, Paw getting to you?

He has a point!
I always say go with what feels good to you not everybody is the same! What's with you giving a Stihl some positive words, Paw getting to you?

Maybe he is starting to get some sense knocked into him :clap: :clap: :clap:

He's been training him with the help of Thelma(Manual) & Louise (Woodie)
I can't stop laughing! but I also have to admit a dark secret. I really did not like the smaller stihls at all never did like there little 40cc and down saws as most of my neighbors own one and always bother me to get there saw running!But I now know it was not the saw but the owner! My only two Stihl's are a 041 and 056 both in great shape but getting long in the tooth.

I can't stop laughing! but I also have to admit a dark secret. I really did not like the smaller stihls at all never did like there little 40cc and down saws as most of my neighbors own one and always bother me to get there saw running!But I now know it was not the saw but the owner! My only two Stihl's are a 041 and 056 both in great shape but getting long in the tooth.

90% of the home owners problem with a saw is properly starting it, so not to flood it. As well as bad fuel.

I was in a similar position. Have a little Poulan that was fine for keeping the yard clean, until I started burning to heat the house. That left me needing to replace the poulan with a bigger saw. I was trying to find the perfect one saw will do it all solution and what I found is that it doesn't exist.

I decided to work into a three saw plan. I am going to hang onto the Poulan and put a short bar on it for trimming. I bought a Dolmar 5100s as a mid size saw. At this point, the Dolmar is also doing the heavy lifting (as far as it will go), until I can add a big saw to the collection.

I will probably add a Dolmar 7900 when the budget allows. Alternatively, I may end up with a makita 6401 from Home Depot and eventually replace the top end.

Latest posts

Back