Dedicated firewood saw:50 vs. 70cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know alot of full time firewood cutters run 066's and 385/90's up here. You can simply cut more wood faster with a bigger saw and the saws take less of a beating. Cutting firewood off a 20 cord pile of 8' logs isnt real taxing on the body so the added weight of a bigger saw isnt a hindrance. Plus a big saw with a short bar is pretty handy. At least my 372 is.
And keep in mind climate plays a part in this. I live on the south shore of Lake Superior where winters are long. To heat my house for a full year I need at a min 14 full cord of wood and maybe more if I run the boiler through the summer for domestic hotwater or if we have a real cold winter. I wish I could get by on 4 cords!

Unless my 029 Super is some sort of secret weapon that someone had constructed before my possession, it cuts the smaller stuff about as quick as my 064. No, it isn't near the saw that the 064 is, but it just seems the wood stacks up pretty quick when I use it. Keep in mind, this is a lot of smaller wood 8-12", there that saw seems to shine.
I cut mostly ash, cherry, and black locust. I haven't used the 029 in any locust, but I think that the reason behind it's efficency is the less fuel- and ability to fling it around a bit more. Anything beyond 14-16", it does seem to slow down quite a bit, where my bigger saws come out to play.
I only cut about 6-7 cords this year, and end up selling most of it. If I had a boiler to run, I would probably do things a lot different, and spend a LOT less time splitting.

No pine. About 95% sugar maple.
I wouldnt want to think about how much pine it would take to feed my boiler...:dizzy:

Get a gasification boiler and some thermal storage. You would be amazed how much you saved vs. a standard owb. Ive got a gasification stove that I use to heat my 4000 sq. ft. house(about 3 to 4 cords). I do not have the kind cold winters that you have. But looking a what my father burns to heat his 3800 sq. ft house(about 6 to 9 cords) with a standard wood stove. We do not have any hardwood to cut for firewood. The best wood we have is juniper and pinon pine. Dried pinon pine is a heavy as hardwood and has high btu(24-26 million)for cord of wood.

I am going to get a inside gasification boiler to run my radiant floor heating plus domestic hot water.

Saws.....

For the tiny tree that Ive got access to. Most of the tree that I cut for fire is in the 8" to 16" range. I from time to time get access to white fir up to 50", but it is on a very limited basis. I use a univent screamer or a 372xp that is stock. I do not have a problem with the weight of the saws.

The first and second time that I got firewood cutting for the season. I do get a bit gassed(tired) towards the end of loading the truck up. But after that, it is no problem. I am in my mid 30's , so weight is not my concern as of right now.

My father is in his late 60's and cuttting wood does take a toll on him. He tore up his body in the navy. Ive noticed that he has been slowing down a bit.

The only 55cc saw I own right now is a 455 rancher. I never use it... It is a loaner saw. I can not stand using it. I cut much quicker with my uninvent or 372xp. Even with the tiny tree's that I cut. I see a big time improvement over the 455 rancher. I wood rather spend the time hanging out with my father then cutting with a SLOW saw.

Cheers everyone and happy XMAS!

Hopefully I can now join the Dolmar club thanks to mowoodchopper. I'm just glad I don't have to choose one or the other 50 or 70cc. I always take 3 saws to the woods, 50, 60, and 70+. Past year I cut probably 14 cords and my 254xp got the most use, followed by 262xp. Time will tell how the 5100 stands up to the husky competition.

Get a gasification boiler and some thermal storage. You would be amazed how much you saved vs. a standard owb. Ive got a gasification stove that I use to heat my 4000 sq. ft. house(about 3 to 4 cords). I do not have the kind cold winters that you have. But looking a what my father burns to heat his 3800 sq. ft house(about 6 to 9 cords) with a standard wood stove. We do not have any hardwood to cut for firewood. The best wood we have is juniper and pinon pine. Dried pinon pine is a heavy as hardwood and has high btu(24-26 million)for cord of wood.

I am going to get a inside gasification boiler to run my radiant floor heating plus domestic hot water.
A couple problems with that. In my house I dont have spare room to put a water storage tank, I dont want a wood burner inside my home and the unit I have has years of service left(I hope!). When it does come time to replace it I wouldnt mind one of the newer EPA compliant OW boilers.

i cut most of my firewood with the 361. the 460 comes out only in the big stuff. i think a 60cc saw is perfect for firewood. but also lets not forget that there has probably been more firewood cut with a 54.2cc saw that was produced from 1964-1988 than any other in history....yes, my friends, it's the homelite XL-12:cheers:

When I was younger I would stay with the big saw for fire wood.
Heck 30 years ago all I had was a Partner S65. It was faster than my BIL's 041 Farm Boss. We thought we were doing great with those saws.

Now that I'm getting older I wouldn't want to be without my 7900 EHP or 5100. If I'm not in a hurry I'll take my 5100 and enjoy cutting. But if I need production I grab my 7900.

My 7900 will go through a 24'' Cherry faster than my 5100 will go through a 12'' Cherry.

Now I want a lighter saw for limbs! Maybe a Top handle.

Every time I think about getting rid of the 7900, lightning will take out one of my 30-40'' Red Oaks, and that wouldn't be much fun with a 5100, but if 16'' was my biggest that I would ever cut, I would pick my 5100.

Last edited:
60cc with a 18" bar for the 16" and smaller.
90cc with a 28-36" for the other.
Current properties that I am cutting on are mostly smaller stuff thinning(-18") so a 32cc goes along for the sake of diversity through out the day.

There has been the typical mix and match of brands but usually a 1125/1122 and a small Mac. The Makita 6400 and Husqvarna 181 seem to get put in the truck often.

50cc w/ 18" bar with a 70cc as a backup

I really can't see being able to swing the 70cc for the same amount of time I use the 50cc without getting tired (and dangerous) sooner. I have the 70cc as a backup and in case I run into the heavy stuff, but the 50cc with an 18" bar (actually a pair of them) is my every day do anything saw.

The extra weight adds up.

I recommend using a 50cc for a while and then switching to a 70cc for a day or two of similar work then ask yourself how it made you feel.

All this talk about "what I run is right" and "waht you run is wrong". Does it really matter?
8 pages worth. :jawdrop:

I have everything from 26cc to 130cc.
I use an 064BB/20" as my go to saw and an 041FB/20" for limbing and to give the BB a rest from time to time.And I am no spring chicken.

:agree2:

Be a bleak world if we all just used the one saw. Sure would make gettin' parts a hellova lot easier!!!

One mans meat is anothers poison etc'.

b4b.

Have a great Xmas everyone!

Yes ! But that post got me laughing so you can still be in the gang!

Heck I dont even know if Im in the gang! LOL

Hey you can join my 60cc plus firewood gang ,I just posted it yesterday!

Hey Ill even change the name to 60cc plus firewood cutters and one camp fire wood cutter if you like!

I didnt get to catch up on this thread until this morning,seems it ran it's coure and all is settled..
but MO !! THAT was funny !!! spewed a bit of coffee but thats ok :)

Hopefully I can now join the Dolmar club thanks to mowoodchopper. I'm just glad I don't have to choose one or the other 50 or 70cc. I always take 3 saws to the woods, 50, 60, and 70+. Past year I cut probably 14 cords and my 254xp got the most use, followed by 262xp. Time will tell how the 5100 stands up to the husky competition.

I think youll like the 51 madman, but dont talk about it anymore I miss it ! Even if it is a 50 cc saw!

I use a ported 026 with a 16" 3/8. For a firewood only saw, the 361 or 362 would be my choice. Anything bigger than 16", the 70cc Stihl club comes out to play.:rock:

Back