Kart Saw / Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brian! 0.080" over might get to the bottom of the trenches, I will be in contact with Terry Ives to see what the possibilities might be.

Mark

I could probably sleeve that if it needs to be done.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate turn of events, Mark. You take it very well though, a testament to your character. This saw shows well how even with careful work, sometimes our projects come undone.

Geez, that's hard to look at.

Reckon I'm pulling tanks to check pins on mine before I run them again...

What a bummer Mark. Sorry it didn't work out.
Who installed the piston? They should have known
the pin wasn't a tight fit and stopped. I agree with
Brad. Off set bore the block. I bet it can be saved.

Lee

I have a puller set up and removed the pin from the old piston and pressed the new one in. It certainly seemed as tight as any other I have changed but my total is in the teen's or twenty's, not hundreds or so as some more experienced builders have experience with.

Mark

Sorry to see that Mark, I hope you can get something going for next weekend.
Scott

My sad story...

I reported yesterday regarding the idle issues, as well as the loose screws in the carburetor body. Of course I tightened the screws, made sure everything else was in order and started it back up. Without the air leaks in the carburetor I could now get it to idle properly, even had to turn the idle speed screw back up a bit to keep it going at idle. It would rev up O.K. and I was just starting to work on getting the carburetor set (no load) when it stopped...dead...locked up...

Opened up the intake side and discovered this.

attachment.php

Kept going and found this.

attachment.php

Ultimately got into it and oh boy.

attachment.php

I don't know if the rod was slightly bent, or if the wrist pin had been in and out too many times but finally got the piston out and noticed the pin had moved completely over, letting the needles out of one side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I do have a worn out Mac 10 on the shelf, I will try to get that one installed in this saw so I can still have something to run next week, but it just won't be quite the same.

I figure this one cost around $2.00/second for the run time I got out of it...

Mark

Romans 8:28

I've had that happen with a new pin in a new rod because I let it run lean just seconds too long. The heat will draw that pin to the exhaust side quicker than you would think . Sorry to see the carnage, I've also talked to Terry about offset boring and resleeveing, he is for sure the man to talk to.

I've had that happen with a new pin in a new rod because I let it run lean just seconds too long. The heat will draw that pin to the exhaust side quicker than you would think . Sorry to see the carnage, I've also talked to Terry about offset boring and resleeveing, he is for sure the man to talk to.

Wow. Did not know that could happen.

Good to know about the lean running!
Do the kart engines not have a circlip or anything to hold the pin in? I would have thought that would have stopped it....

I was having such a good time watching you!

Bummer Mark! Those little round shafts aren't for carbon buildup reduction? Just kidding, sorry about the bad luck and isn't it amazing how fast stuff can south so fast?

Big Bro Ray

Never heard of that one ol mate its a new one on me

McBob.

I pulled my Mac 40 off the shelf and tore it down tonight, piston and cylinder didn't look too bad. Crankshaft was shot, somebody had welded on it right where the clutch bearing would ride but I found another in the attic that should work. I had a set of rings as well.

I will have to go another route on the intake since the 40 utilizes the third port. I have the conventional kart kart intake and a flatback that was on it, not nearly so impressive as the BDC sticking up there. I will have to make hay tomorrow since I will be hitting the road next Tuesday, not much time left to get things ready.

Mark

The wrist pins are pressed through the rod no circlip needed

Good to know. I have never pulled the pin off a mac before. Just removed rod and piston in one unit.

Sounds like a bit of a pain to do.

Back