Mission Backpack MS460 joat/Brad/Terry project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay

I have some stuff on eBay, will get more tickets as am able. I never had a brand new saw, this is going to be great.

OK boys and girls, we made some chips today. I'll tell the story along with the pics, kind of like a story board.

Nik, Andre, and myself spent 4-5 hours this afternoon doing the machine work on this new MS460. I'll let the cat out of the bag and tell you that I'm using a 038 Mag Meteor piston. It has wider skirts, which happen to be the same as the 064 piston I sold to Wiggs for his 460. The only real difference is the skirts on the 038 Mag piston are nearly identical in length to the 460 piston. We had to open up between the wrist pin bosses, in order to fit the piston over the rod. The same is true for the 064 piston.

We started by machining a set of soft jaws to hold the piston upside down for maching the pin bosses. Here we're using two wrist pins to indicate the piston into position.
IMG7451-M.jpg

Making the cut.
IMG7456-M.jpg

IMG7454-M.jpg

IMG7458-M.jpg

Making sure we cut to the top of the boss.
IMG7460-M.jpg

Deburring the pin bore.
IMG7463-M.jpg

Here I am setting up the piston for the popup. This is my standard job on saw machining days. Andre usually works on the lathe with the cylinder. Of course, Nik is the brains behind the operation, and we're just his grunt labor:)
IMG7464-M.jpg

Here I'm indicating, shiming, and getting the crown of the piston flat, within .001" or less.
IMG7465-M.jpg

Here's Nik dialing in the X and Y axis', finding the dead center of the piston.
IMG7471-M.jpg

IMG7473-M.jpg

Making the first shallow pass.
IMG7474-M.jpg

Taking off some meat.
IMG7478-M.jpg

Here's a vid of cutting the popup.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sDqLenkoEUA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deburring in order to check the popup height.
IMG7475-M.jpg

Zeroing the depth guage.
IMG7476-M.jpg

We have a .041" popup, leaving the crown .100" above the top ring groove.
IMG7481-M.jpg

The finished product.
IMG7483-M.jpg

Layout fluid is sprayed on the crown, dropped into the cylinder, and then spun. If any part other than the squish band is touching, it will be ovbious. This is to make sure that the popup is not too big and hitting before the squish band does.
IMG7487-M.jpg

Here's Andre setting up the lathe to turn the spindle that will be used to turn the base of the cylinder down.
IMG7469-M.jpg

IMG7470-M.jpg

Turning the spindle down to size.
IMG7489-M.jpg

Ready to accept the cylinder.
IMG7495-M.jpg

Checking runout on the cylinder base before cutting. It was within .0005". No, that isn't a typo.
IMG7496-M.jpg

Here's a vid of it. I believe the dial is in .0005 increments.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wag-Ej3F7IY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG7497-M.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some technical specs as it stands right now. No port work has been done at all, so these numbers are just where it ended up after the piston swap. It would be a good runner like it is, no doubt.

Exhaust 102°
Transfers 122°
Intake 76°
Squish .019"

The squish is final. All of the other numbers will be changing;)

That's only 50 more tickets. We will get there!

I'm confident the always generous AS community will step up like they always do. Remember guys, here's your chance to win an awesome saw but most importantly, help out some kids in the process. Children can't control their situations or circumstances. If this saw fills one little belly, think how good that'll make you feel. The more tickets, the more full bellies.

As always great pics, video and write up Brad. We always have a good time with these projects, I'll add Nik does most of the real work, as Brad said we just do what he tells us to.:msp_smile:

Can't wait to run the saw when it's ported!!!!!

Latest posts

Back