People are stupid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a little tip for epidemic survival. Spray paint" we have it stay out"on your doors. Wrap caution tape around your house, and throw your sh#t out by your entryways and maybe some fake blood.

This is to keep people away from you and your family. So people don't try to get in and steal your supplies. Or expose you to whatever the sickness is. I have 7 kids so I have put a lot of thought into protecting them.

I see a hole in your prep thinking when it comes to this kind of pandemic.
The government will declare marshal law and send in the army and police agencies and force you out of your home.
One home at a time and block by block and ship everyone infected to one of the thousands of holding camps they have built over the last 10 years. The camps will be filled way over capacity and you will most likely die there.
If you plan to try and bunker down in one place, it would be easy to just kill you or wait you out.
No mater how many guns you have and how much ammo you have, a small family cant defend a bunker very long.
In a pandemic, you need to stay mobile and stealthy.
Of course all of this depends on where you live.

The bunker in method is good for lots of emergencies but not all.
Information would be critical and determining if that information is real or propaganda.
I mainly just prep for natural disasters and things like power outages, hurricanes, ice storms and things like that.
But I do have a weak bug out plan.

During hurricane Ike I sat here and bunker down and watched the hoards of people try to leave the city all at the same time.
ALL highways were locked down and everyone was trapped on the interstates.
Thats why I'm a back road kind of guy, I googal and map out back roads on my trips, just so I can learn where all theses back roads go. I've been back roading my whole life, and gettin pretty good at it.

The government will declare marshal law and send in the army and police agencies and force you out of your home.
One home at a time and block by block and ship everyone infected to one of the thousands of holding camps they have built over the last 10 years. The camps will be filled way over capacity and you will most likely die there.
If you plan to try and bunker down in one place, it would be easy to just kill you or wait you out.
No mater how many guns you have and how much ammo you have, a small family cant defend a bunker very long.
In a pandemic, you need to stay mobile and stealthy.
Of course all of this depends on where you live.

The bunker in method is good for lots of emergencies but not all.
Information would be critical and determining if that information is real or propaganda.
I mainly just prep for natural disasters and things like power outages, hurricanes, ice storms and things like that.
But I do have a weak bug out plan.

During hurricane Ike I sat here and bunker down and watched the hoards of people try to leave the city all at the same time.
ALL highways were locked down and everyone was trapped on the interstates.
Thats why I'm a back road kind of guy, I googal and map out back roads on my trips, just so I can learn where all theses back roads go. I've been back roading my whole life, and gettin pretty good at it.
I'm thinking if stuff gets really bad everything will crumble. Everyone will quit going to work. Police and military will shut down also. Also too many sick people to move or quarantine. Just my theory. I have too many people to stay mobile. Also have thought someone could start your house on fire if you don't help them. I hope things never get that bad.

Preparation is great - I don't want to be a burden on others from having not prepared. But prepare for what?

I am expecting something quite different from what is being described here. I expect a long decay of the the society lasting many generations, punctuated by events that might feel quite catastrophic at the time. Some of the tips here might be useful short term, but you won't be able to outlast events that take lifetimes holed up in a bunker, and you cannot eat guns.

Your best defence is to be a valued part of a community, someone who is known to have skills that are useful to others, and to have built relationships that last. The rest of this stuff is frankly absurd.

The government will declare marshal law and send in the army...
Way, way, way to many assumptions on your part...
You're assuming the government would still be in operation...
You're assuming there would still be a healthy army and police force...
You're assuming the army and police would obey such orders...
You're assuming there would be means and infrastructure to "ship" everyone to a "camp"...
Stay mobile and stealthy?? Maybe... maybe not. What if the cause of the pandemic is raining from the sky??

Not that it's a bad idea to have a plan, but those who make it through any sort of emergency unscathed are the ones able to remain calm, clear-headed, focused, and above all... are flexible and adaptable, even on a second-to-second basis when required. If your plan is to just "bug out"... well, even a deer won't run from noise until it visually identifies it as a threat... blindly running can turn out to be the equivalent of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
All the weaponry, food, water and whatnot won't be worth cold owl squat if you ain't able to mentally deal with the situation.

Although, I agree with Chris-PA, rather than some sort of pandemic, nuclear winter, alien evasion, or some such... we're much more likely to see a collapse of society as we know it. Think more along the lines of The Great Depression (only worse), forget about Ebola...

I agree with Spidey. The average household only has 3.5 days of food. The grocery store only has 2 days. Some inner city folks only have today's. Watching the news during the huge blizzard in western New York a few weeks ago, it seemed as they were interviewing folks stranded that most of them were out trying to get food even though their was major coverage that the storm was coming????

In less than 5 days in a minor interruption in fuel production, or hundreds of other systems nation wide will cause looting and rioting, compounding things worse. I am sorry to say if you live within 2 days walking distance of a major city your probably screwed. And by the time you realize you need out there will be no driving possible to bug out either. Roads and highways will be littered with abandoned cars and anything moving will be attacked. Good luck hunting or fishing as well anywhere but the most remote corners of Alaska or Rockies. Again every poor white trash meth head that's to lazy to prepare but thinks their a hunter will be out shooting anything that moves.

Think what interruption in the drug supply will do? Millions of junkies going through withdrawal. What will they do?

The only solution to me is groups or families of individuals that are prepared mentally for challenges and will stick together. A family of four can not stand watch 24/7. A group of ten+ can.

Preparation is great - I don't want to be a burden on others from having not prepared. But prepare for what?

I am expecting something quite different from what is being described here. I expect a long decay of the the society lasting many generations, punctuated by events that might feel quite catastrophic at the time. Some of the tips here might be useful short term, but you won't be able to outlast events that take lifetimes holed up in a bunker, and you cannot eat guns.

Your best defence is to be a valued part of a community, someone who is known to have skills that are useful to others, and to have built relationships that last. The rest of this stuff is frankly absurd.
If there would have been 50 confirmed cases of ebola in the U.S. There would have been mass hysteria. I'm not sure how long you would need to stay in. What if it's 10 below zero? You can't really be mobile. I remember the day of the 9/11 attack, by 2 in the afternoon the gas stations were packed, and everyone was buyin gas cans at the store. People react fast. I guess I try to prepare for whatever threat is imminent.

If it's a pandemic, while everyone else is out getting supplies , possibly exposing them selves to the sickness. I am in my house deciding what to make for supper. And I bought good food for my supply. Not just flour and noodles. And we will be drinking tang not plain water. Tang has vitamins in it.

Way, way, way to many assumptions on your part...
You're assuming the government would still be in operation...
You're assuming there would still be a healthy army and police force...
You're assuming the army and police would obey such orders...
You're assuming there would be means and infrastructure to "ship" everyone to a "camp"...
Stay mobile and stealthy?? Maybe... maybe not. What if the cause of the pandemic is raining from the sky??

Not that it's a bad idea to have a plan, but those who make it through any sort of emergency unscathed are the ones able to remain calm, clear-headed, focused, and above all... are flexible and adaptable, even on a second-to-second basis when required. If your plan is to just "bug out"... well, even a deer won't run from noise until it visually identifies it as a threat... blindly running can turn out to be the equivalent of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
All the weaponry, food, water and whatnot won't be worth cold owl squat if you ain't able to mentally deal with the situation.

Although, I agree with Chris-PA, rather than some sort of pandemic, nuclear winter, alien evasion, or some such... we're much more likely to see a collapse of society as we know it. Think more along the lines of The Great Depression (only worse), forget about Ebola...

As I said, it would all depend on the epidemic or pandemic that happens and how the country reacts to it.
When Ike was coming in, I knew I was going to bunker down in my own home because I was prepared for it.
This was just after Rita hit New Orleans and I saw what happened there.
So I prepped a few days ahead of Ike and was ready.
I spent 14 days without electricity, but I had 200 gallons of fuel and 2 generators a pantry full of food and all my laundry was done, before it came in.
Meanwhile, while I'm sitting at home with my genny going and watching everyone go crazy trying to flea the city was serial.
All interstates and HWY's were jammed shut and looked like a parking lot, and people had nothing with them and no where to go.
My mother and step dad decided to head to Little-rock, It took them 37 hours to drive from Houston to Little rock.
She actually melted the break light covers on her car because she sat idling in traffic. It took over 24 hours for them to drive from Houston to Brenham Tx witch is normally an hour to an hour and 15 min drive.
Cell phones were down because everyone was trying to make calls. Land lines were dead and pay phones don't really exist anymore.
I sat here and watched the whole thing unfold while I was BBQing watching movies and TV everyone else was panicking.
Tought me a good lessen on staying prepped for at least two weeks at all times and longer if I see something coming.
I am already prepped for an ice storm this winter and with wood for heat I should be fine.
In fact we've had ice storms before that lasted for several days and you couldn't go anywhere, even if you wanted to.

But spidy is rite, There would have to be a healthy army and government to pull off Marshal law and there would be some that refused to take those orders.
After all the army and police are made up of people just like you and me.
Depending on the disaster, would dictate what action one should take.
Not many people could bug out on foot and survive very long.
My own brother would not make it long with out all his meds even if he had everything else.

Not many people could bug out on foot and survive very long.
My own brother would not make it long with out all his meds even if he had everything else.

That's why I only gave them two days, if even that. I have done 40 miles with an 80 pound pack and a machine gun in hills while in the Corps. Many people think that's it's impossible? Easy math, 4 miles an hour, break every two hours to change socks and piss. Break for 30 mins for lunch. 12-14 hours your done. Wouldn't want to do it again or back to back. Did you know man is capable of running a horse to death. Not in short burst of speed but can run farther over a day than any other animal on earth. That is if good shape and mentally prepared. I could easily do 25 miles now with a 50lbs pack but most would be hard pressed to make it 5 without anything on.

Last winter the neighbors step daughter had the front wheel fall off her blazer about a mile from the house. She had known it was going out for weeks yet still drove 60 miles to his house. It was about 20 degrees out. It was 11pm and Saturday so it wasn't getting fixed that night anyhow so to teach her a lesson I told him, make her walk to the house. We had to go get her because she had no jacket and was wearing flip flops! That is the best thing about it all. You don't have to worry about millions of others for to long. The stupid will perish very quickly.

I think a pandemic is worst case scenario. If it's any other disaster I believe people would be willing to help one another. If it's a sickness every person outside your house is a possible threat.

Weather related disasters are short term and more of an inconvenience, or you can evacuate the area..A pandemic could last month's or years.

There's also the difference in geographic locations to consider. Here in southern Idaho, we don't have many big cities, a big city to me is 15,000 people. We are small town (100 - 2000) people. Prepping for a disaster for me is food, water, ammo, and fuel. In the event of an EMP horse travel is avaliable. Plenty of meat standing around too. Our county has almost 3:1 ratio of dairy cows to people. That's in the hundreds of thousand cows in one county. Also lots of natural shelter if I need to bug out. The most important thing to me though is not freaking out. Keep my head and rationalize the situation, then act.

There's also the difference in geographic locations to consider. Here in southern Idaho, we don't have many big cities, a big city to me is 15,000 people. We are small town (100 - 2000) people. Prepping for a disaster for me is food, water, ammo, and fuel. In the event of an EMP horse travel is avaliable. Plenty of meat standing around too. Our county has almost 3:1 ratio of dairy cows to people. That's in the hundreds of thousand cows in one county. Also lots of natural shelter if I need to bug out. The most important thing to me though is not freaking out. Keep my head and rationalize the situation, then act.

Time of year or what season it is would also affect when and how you travel.
I have put some thought into an EMP attack and do have a small stash of electronics that are EMP resistant. "I hope"
With an EMP attack it would not affect all electronics and some only for a short time.
I stick with the older tube type electronics as back ups to my EMP resistant electronic box.
The older analog type electronics are not as badly affected as is the newer micro chip electronics are during an EMP.

I remember the days when everything had tubes in them and they always had new ones at the local store.
I remember keeping spare tubs for back ups just like we do now with light bulbs for the TV and radios that we had at the time.

It's funny but a couple of years ago I was working 200 miles from home and my daughters were staying with my parents. It was the Mayan calendar scare deal and for some reason I was thinking of an EMP and how if get back to my girls if that happened. My rock drill has no electronics, all mechanical and there were a couple old D6 dozers and an old D9 that were all mechanical too. I figured worse case scenario I could take the 9 and push my way down the interstate and back home. Crazy I know but when you're drilling deep, you have time to think of these things

It would be the micro electronics and things with chips and processing chips that would be most at risk.
Old machinery probably wouldn't be effected unless there were running at the time of the EMP.
I don't know how it would effect batteries though.
It would depend on the location of the EMP and how strong it is and how shielded it was.
I have an old horse but I haven't road her in years.
I think bicycles would be the new transportation for most for a long time.
But there is still hydro power that could be back up and running but getting the grid back up would take a long time.
Old analog electronics would become a priceless item.
Old CB's would be like cell phones again.

Yeah bicycles and horses would be in high demand again. You are right about hydro power too. the electronics involved in the inverters on wind turbines would determine if they were able to still produce.

Latest posts

Back