People are stupid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a gun for the very minuscule chance that I would find myself in a situation that I never ever expected to need it.
I carry a gun for the same reason I carry a pocket knife and credit card, for the same reason all my vehicles have a stowed spare tire, a roll of TP in the glove box, a Bic lighter in the ash tray, and a couple of blankets folded up under the seat... so I'm never in a situation where I wished I had one. It's not complicated, it's simple preparedness, basic common sense... nothin' more than that.

We've all had Walter Mitty daydreams about how we'll be prepared and save the day when some big emergency happens. But you won't. When something major happens, chances are very high that not only won't you react, you'll never even see it coming, never even think of looking for it there. If you're even functioning afterwards, the preparation you'll need most will be mental. Some things and tools could be useful - blankets, etc. Guns and shooting are fun, but a hand gun is way down on my list of likely useful items, well below a roll of TP - the multitool I like to wear is far more likely to come in handy.

That is my direct experience of emergencies, one of which left me dead for all practical purposes - the look on the EMT's face in the ambulance told me the odds. That was 24 years ago, before wife, kids and home, so this is all bonus time for me. The other emergencies which involved loved ones and others were the same - never saw it coming.

I carry a gun for the same reason I carry a pocket knife and credit card, for the same reason all my vehicles have a stowed spare tire, a roll of TP in the glove box, a Bic lighter in the ash tray, and a couple of blankets folded up under the seat... so I'm never in a situation where I wished I had one. It's not complicated, it's simple preparedness, basic common sense... nothin' more than that.

Agree. No illusions of saving the day. Like you said, just basic common sense. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

We've all had Walter Mitty daydreams about how we'll be prepared and save the day when some big emergency happens. But you won't. When something major happens, chances are very high that not only won't you react, you'll never even see it coming, never even think of looking for it there. If you're even functioning afterwards, the preparation you'll need most will be mental. Some things and tools could be useful - blankets, etc. Guns and shooting are fun, but a hand gun is way down on my list of likely useful items, well below a roll of TP - the multitool I like to wear is far more likely to come in handy.

That is my direct experience of emergencies, one of which left me dead for all practical purposes - the look on the EMT's face in the ambulance told me the odds. That was 24 years ago, before wife, kids and home, so this is all bonus time for me. The other emergencies which involved loved ones and others were the same - never saw it coming.

The above is is true, but if you train regularly and correctly you ca change your odds.

When I was in USMC bootcamp we did a lot of hand to hand combat training.
In high school if I was fighting ,which I hated and still due, if it was a purely physical thing i would typically win due to being 6' tall 215lbs and farm tough muscles. Then one day a scrawny 90lbs worked me over good.

I hated the hand to hand combat training. We practiced slowly on each other for hours a day. Throwing each other to the ground(padded with mulch). I hated it.

Fast forward a few years I was setting in a bar, drinking sprite as I was the DD. A behemoth of a man assaulted me and without any thought I had his hand in a painful control hold. I was surprised as much as he was I think but I was able to make that 325 6'4" man cry like a little girl. I did exactly what I was trained to do. After kneeing him in the face and breaking his nose, my friend and I advanced in the other direction in an expedient manner(cue Charlie Daniels uneasy rider, literally). Found out minutes later that my "buddy" was hitting on this guys girl and he confused me with his friend.

Another year latter I was assaulted/attempted pick pocketed? In town. Next thing I know the degenerates skull was bouncing off the sidewalk and I had my knee in his throat. Again, training was automatic.

In reading I found that even the shape of the targets on the rifle range has a purpose. In early ww2 the navy psychologist realized that most men have a natural aversion to killing another man. The estimated when a man was thrown into combat that only 30 percent of the time would a man place his sights on the enemy and pull the trigger. Most would shoot over the enemies head. This was subconscious. Just by switching from round targets to human silhouette targets they raised this average to well over 50 percent.
Unfortunately the army did not listen,want to know, or cared until officers noticed whole entrenched platoons opening up on VC advancing across open rice patties and getting point blank before being shot, all the while the jungle back drop was trimmed by machine gun and rifle fire 8 to 10 feet up.

Police nationally have a 6% rate of hitting their target. Your average patrolman shoots about two boxes in training every year after leaving the academy. Some such as NYC officers it's more like 25 shots. The success of officers that receive much more training such as swat or gun enthusiast officers that shoot on their own have much higher odds of hitting their target.

So if your preparing, train and not just plain slow fire target training but using correct handling and shooting from cover and reloads. Just popping off as many rounds as you can as fast as you can is useless as well.

If you can't train maybe you should be carrying a 357 snubbie. It's been found that even if you don't hit your target, anyone but the most hopped up junkie or hardened combat veteran and advance into the spectacular and horrific muzzle blast of a 357.

Your not going to be able to prepare for everything, cuz you never know where its coming from. That part is true.
But failing to do any training almost guaranties you'll lose.
It's called mussel memory, If I blindfolded you and asked you to do a task, if I asked you to touch your nose, you could do it blindfolded. If i asked you to do many tasks you could do them blindfolded.
The point is, the more practice you do the more mussel memory you have and it becomes automatic and you don't have to guess or think about it.
So prepare or not thats your choice. Its called training, and the more you do it, the better you get at it.

The issue is what you spend your time preparing for. I'd like to have combat training, but at this point it would take more of an investment than I can spare the time and money for. I believe there are many things heading our way and much to be prepared for. Guns and fighting are only going to be useful for a small number of those, and one can try to avoid them, so I'll spend my efforts in other areas. Things like heating my home without (much) in the way of fossil fuels, preparing for food and power shortages, etc. The weapons and abilities I have with them will have to suffice if needed, because I can't risk being less prepared for more likely eventualities.

Hmmmmm.....
Forget about fighting for a moment, a firearm and the ammunition it carries is still a pretty handy piece to have with you. It can be used as a hammer, the lever for a tourniquet, to start a fire, cauterize a wound, simply make a hole in something, a location signal, to harvest something to eat, and at least a dozen more. Self defense (from man or beast) is just the icing on the cake.

Now let's talk about preparing for what's "heading our way"... I once heard a (so called) expert say you have three days before you'll need to defend what you have. Just three days... three days without food and water is the turning point for most humans... at three days even the most honorable of men will become panicked and desperate. If you believe you can just "avoid" confrontation when, or if, the $h!t does hit the fan... your a fool.

Still, that ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout. I'm talkin' day-to-day preparedness... like carrying a pocket knife or credit card. I ain't talkin' about surviving a nuclear winter (that's a different sort of preparedness), I'm talkin' 'bout gettin' done what needs doing now... this very minute.

A hammer?

Thanks - I'll be laughing about that one for a whole.

EDIT: Is there a particular gun you prefer for framing? How about roofing?

A hammer?
Well... yeah...
I prefer the 7½ inch barreled single-action hog-leg for framing... the longer barrel puts more power into the striking grip frame when driving longer nails.
Roofing depends on the decking... but most of the time any snub-nose will get the job done.
Ring-shank nails get a bit tricky... sometimes just gettin' them started and finish with a rock is better.

Honestly though, my comment wasn't referring to a "nail" hammer... but, whatever...

Ever watch the news? There is no safe place anymore.
I live in a area that we have no proplem except for stealing we don't lock doors. All the time since we have 5 police living in less than a mile. About 50 % of the people carry guns I've carried a gun for 60 years. We are all farmers and country folks

Well it started off about stupid people calling wanting wood but not leaving no call back number. But the threads tend to migrate into something else. and I don't mind a bit, just as long as everyone shows respects and doesn't start arguing. And I'd have to blame myself for taking the thread off track buy saying I open carry.
So Blame me if you will. lol

I'm not likely to blame anyone that can shoot so much better than me!! :bowdown:

When getting for a disaster you can for see, Stealth is the way to go. Shooting guns can be heard for a long way.
Bow hunt if you can, and save the ammo when you really need it.
Dont burn wood unless thats all you have, and keep the fire small. a fire can be smelled and seen from a long way.
If you have a bunker in you home. loot your own house, so people can see its already been picked over.
Always have a bug out plan and supplies along several routs, just in case.

The trick is to not let anyone know your there.

There are a lot of ways to prepare for a disaster, lets hope we prep for the rite one.

When getting for a disaster you can for see, Stealth is the way to go. Shooting guns can be heard for a long way.
Bow hunt if you can, and save the ammo when you really need it.
Dont burn wood unless thats all you have, and keep the fire small. a fire can be smelled and seen from a long way.
If you have a bunker in you home. loot your own house, so people can see its already been picked over.
Always have a bug out plan and supplies along several routs, just in case.

The trick is to not let anyone know your there.

There are a lot of ways to prepare for a disaster, lets hope we prep for the rite one.
There are many kinds of disasters - the advice you give is only useful in a small subset of those.

I like my 12 gauge and buck shot for disaster prep. You open that door and you get 00 buck to the gut. I actually started prepping a little with the ebola scare. Even a little prepping can go a long way. Spent about$ 500 on food to store away. And ammo, lots of ammo.

Latest posts

Back