Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
I had a 2 stroke motorbike in my pre-marriaged life and spent a fortune modding it to get the best performance out of it. It had an expansian pipe and the carb was beefed up to consume more fuel that my dad's smaller car. People in town hated me, because you could hear me coming from a few miles distance away. Reportedly, my picture was hanging in the local police office with a disturbing 'Wanted, dead or alive" message, but somehow I've managed to stay out of their hands...:givebeer: But Lord, I had some fun with that thing...:):)

At the moment, I do not have a single modded saw as I do value the comfort of a smooth saw over the extra performance that you can get out of a mod.
A modern,well tuned pro saw with a sharp chain will give me plenty of power to handle. But I am just the ordinary firewood guy. And as far as I know, there's no picture of me hanging anymore in the local police office ....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That makes me a dedicated anti-modder I reckon.

Roland- I'd sure enjoy seeing some video of a running Rexo...:clap:

ha ha LOL. Yup I've seen some pretty mean Striaght 6's

A buddie of mine had a '65 Mustang with a heavily modded straight six, he could pull the left front tire off the pavement on takeoff !
What they say about the straight six is its naturally balanced over the V-8.

I bought my 066 mag dual outlet back in the early 90s and in the woods it was loud and emptied the gas tank fast. After that ever since it has done a little milling and now just urban tree removal. I had to block off the middle muffler outlet because it was just too loud, scared away potential customers. Since quieting it down it burned alot less gas and time filling it up.

Last edited:
I will not own a stock saw, LOL.

They are a waste of my time on a professional level, and they are less fun on a private level.

If the modds are done by a knowledgeable individual, nothing to very little, is sacrificed in reliability, while speed and power are gained in spades. The same saw will cut like a saw one or one and a half model sizes larger, while typically burning less fuel than that larger saw, because you are just making it more effecient.

I wear ear protection at all times so I don't care about a little more noise, as a stock saw is not quiet, so no net loss there, for me personally.

My opinion,

Sam

Modified saws are dangerous and illegal.

If you are going for a work saw, a modified muffler is illegal and is dangerous. Most of the modded saws lack EPA compliance and are darned right too noisy.

If one of your workers is injured using a modified saw and he sues you, guess what, that's an automatic winning lotto ticket, for him. God Help you if he is killed.

I know that this is not popular thinking, but facts are facts.

-Craig

If you are going for a work saw, a modified muffler is illegal and is dangerous. Most of the modded saws lack EPA compliance and are darned right too noisy.

If one of your workers is injured using a modified saw and he sues you, guess what, that's an automatic winning lotto ticket, for him. God Help you if he is killed.

-Craig
What you just wrote, now while it might be completely factual and true on a lawyer's level is completely gay to say, LOL, and I mean that in a happy way.

Your title says, Modded saws are dangerous, as if a stock saw is like snuggling with a soft kitten, LOL. As if anything related to working with a chainsaw is not dangerous at some advanced level.

I don't have any employees and my ear protection works just fine, so I will live even more dangerously and get more accomplished in that same amount of time then you will, by being "safer" yet spending more actual time standing under that tree while I am already walking away, LOL.

"Dangerous", LOL, you make a funny,

Sam

-Craig

you've obviously never had a tree blow up in your face or pull the stump out of the ground because the saw won't cut it fast enough.

although i agree that maybe modded saws are not for all users. i honestly believe that they are safer for the professional user because they will allow you to do things that you typically would not be able to get away with. Lawyers lick their chops enough when dealing with loggers and their injuries, they don't need to be coming after our chainsaws too.

i laughed btw.

Financial Ruin awaits you.

If you are going to risk the Fires, The Government, and the safety hazards associated with Modified saws & OSHA, I assure you that financial ruin awaits you.

Just run the saw stock, its ok. Using a stock saw does not make you any less of a man and using a Modified Hot saw does not make your wiener larger.

-Craig

If you are going to risk the Fires, The Government, and the safety hazards associated with Modified saws & OSHA, I assure you that financial ruin awaits you.

Just run the saw stock, its ok. Using a stock saw does not make you any less of a man and using a Modified Hot saw does not make your wiener larger.

-Craig

no...but it does make the check at the end of the week larger. I'm not too worried about calling up osha on myself either.

btw... if logging and the economy doesn't do an upturn, "Financial Ruin awaits me anyway"

-Craig

How is the risk of fire any more?
Many here use a screen even on a modded muffler.

-Craig

Again, I can't stress enough that I mean this in a "happy way", but that last quote was again, ........... gay, on a safety level, and now you are talking about my wiener too, which is also gay, but on a homosexual level.

At no point were you ahead in this discussion or quite possibly in any of your first 5 posts on AS.

So here is my suggestion:
Log off, grow up, come back under some other alias, like Stephan or something and start again.

Just here to help,

Sam

you've obviously never had a tree blow up in your face or pull the stump out of the ground because the saw won't cut it fast enough.

although i agree that maybe modded saws are not for all users. i honestly believe that they are safer for the professional user because they will allow you to do things that you typically would not be able to get away with. Lawyers lick their chops enough when dealing with loggers and their injuries, they don't need to be coming after our chainsaws too.

i laughed btw.

Well said.

Unsafe practices are no substitute for using the properly sized equipment.

And you don't know me well enough to make statements pertaining to my expertise.

I am not making this personal. I know that the majority of folks here want a really super fast saw. I would suggest just trying to learn how to sharpen a decent chain.

You could always make a hotsaw and do the weekend races. Those do not apply to EPA regulations. But keep the work saws stock, safe and legal.

-Craig

in logger land there comes a time when u have to make due with what you have, and there are also times when there is no such thing as "properly sized equipment"

And you don't know me well enough to make statements pertaining to my expertise.

you don't know me or the people here enought to comment on our saws or how we run them either. have you ever ran a modded saw day in and day out? have you ever made your living by how much wood you put on the ground AND how you go about doing it?

I am not making this personal. I know that the majority of folks here want a really super fast saw. I would suggest just trying to learn how to sharpen a decent chain.

I do agree with you that learning how to sharpen a chain is a fundamental start to a fast cutting saw, but after you reach a point a chain will only let you cut soo much faster, and then you have to work the motor. The fact of the matter is...if you are getting paid by how much wood you put on the ground, sharp chains and modded saws are the mainstay.

Running modded saws is about like gun rights, the people that have them swear by them.

You could always make a hotsaw and do the weekend races. Those do not apply to EPA regulations. But keep the work saws stock, safe and legal.

-Craig

If we don't know you good enough to make judgements on your lack of expertise, then you don't know me good enough to suggest that I need to sharpen my chains better, and when that chain is wrapped around the sprocket of a Hopped up saw, what a wonder it can perform.

Again, where is a modded saw, less safe than a stock saw in an already dangerous situation and conditions?

Is a modded 441 more unsafe than an unmodded 084?

Ah the slippery slope of safety arguments they are such a waste of time when the subject is about, already dangerous equipment and proceedures and how to somehow make them marginally safer or marginally unsafer. At some point is just a matter of what's in a person's brain and simply luck or lack of it.

But that is just coming from someone who has made a good amount of money the last 13 years, logging and riding bulls, which aren't exactly the pinnacles of a life lived based on walking the "safer" path.

My opinion,

Sam

The issues of legality are fact. A modified chainsaw breaks several EPA, OSHA, Federal Safety Guidelines and they hurt the environment. These are all non-disputable facts.

If you run a modified saw you are breaking the law.

These are not opinions, as the thread was started with. These are Federal Laws.

No Mods on work saws.

And this is not the same as Gun control. Weapons are legal. Modified saws are not. No matter how much you dislike what I am telling you, they are not legal in the normal work setting.

The issues of legality are fact. A modified chainsaw breaks several EPA, OSHA, Federal Safety Guidelines and they hurt the environment. These are all non-disputable facts.

If you run a modified saw you are breaking the law.

These are not opinions, as the thread was started with. These are Federal Laws.

No Mods on work saws.

And this is not the same as Gun control. Weapons are legal. Modified saws are not. No matter how much you dislike what I am telling you, they are not legal in the normal work setting.

What is illegal about them? Besides no spark screens.

Back