Upgrading to 70cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcoon

Reaction score
On my last post I wanted to upgrade my 350 husky, to a saw that would push a 24inch bar and the responses where overwhelming to go with a 70cc saw.Since alot of you guys have saws in the 70cc class of different makes a I was wondering how the dolmar 7900 compares to the others.Thanks Earl.

attachment.php

What kind of dealers do you have locally? If you've got a Husqvarna dealer you like, see if he can score you a 372. You'd be a happy camper with that saw. Husqvarna's 575 may or may not be worth looking at, depending on whether they finally have the issues worked out of that saw or not.

Otherwise, Stihl 440 (if you can find one), 441, or 460 would work well, as would Jonsered's 2171. Dolmar's 7300 or 7900 are also superb choices; the 7900 outperforms any of the other saws listed in this post by a clear margin.

What kind of dealers do you have locally? If you've got a Husqvarna dealer you like, see if he can score you a 372. You'd be a happy camper with that saw. Husqvarna's 575 may or may not be worth looking at, depending on whether they finally have the issues worked out of that saw or not.

Otherwise, Stihl 440 (if you can find one), 441, or 460 would work well, as would Jonsered's 2171. Dolmar's 7300 or 7900 are also superb choices; the 7900 outperforms any of the other saws listed in this post by a clear margin.

Just to clear things out: The 2171 works exactly as well as the 372 ;)

My understanding is the 575 is a new saw (again) this year, like the 346 is a new model this year.

Jred 2171 would be my bet at this point,.,.,

Jonsered 2171

Any of the saws already mentioned above are top choices. I went from a Husqvarna 350 to a Jonsered 2171. I only cut firewood for my elderly father, but lack of time is a major factor with me. If I spent four hours sawing with the 350, it takes me less than 2 hours to cut the same amount of firewood with the 2171. Even though the saw is a little heavier (not that much), it takes alot less energy to operate the 2171 for less than 2 hours compared to the 350 for 4 hours. JMHO

docshank

P.S. - I probably would have went with the Dolmar 7900 , but nobody keeps them in stock around here.

I called a dealer an hour away from me 'my local Dolmar dealer' and picked up my 7900 that day. It's an awesome saw!

Earl,
You know it would be nice to find a Dolmar dealer close by or if said dealer was Mr Congeniality. It would be nice if I could buy a Ferrari AND get good gas mileage. People don't buy supercars looking at gas mileage or trunk space. Find your nearest Dolmar dealer and buy a PS7900. It's so much better than anything else in the 70cc class, it's worth driving a little further or putting up with a not-so-perfect dealer. Or see if one of the site sponsors here (who are Dolmar dealers) can hook you up.

I was wondering how the dolmar 7900 compares to the others.Thanks Earl.

well earl. you cant miss with that dolmar 7900. thats a fact. problem with the dolmar is the lack of dealer support though.

372 will do what you want and then some. give a stihl its run for the money as well. that way you can choose knowing you touched them all.

372xp, or PS7900 if you "need" the extra power, at the cost of the air injection system, and a bit more vibes (at least on paper). :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I say you find a dealer you like and then pick a saw.

Sorry Husky guys, but I would stay far away from the 575 right now!!! Let someone else be the guinea pig!!!!

70 cc saw

IMHO, 044 if you can find one, 575 is smooth steady power, 372 saves you a little weight. If it came down to one saw for felling, bucking, and limbing 372 hands down. I haven’t ran a 7900 yet, heard allot of good things about a stock Dolmar.

I'd go with the 460 instead of the 7900.
Although the word is the 7900 is a heck of a saw. :cheers:

Last edited:
In this order: 7900*, 460, 440. All of those get a :bowdown: :bowdown:

*Only #1 for power to weight ratio, never ran one myself but hear they are great. You wood love a 460/440:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back