Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I feel like the unedumicated one here

I own my own window company. I sell em and I install em.
The reason I own chainsaws.I have always owned saws, grandpa had em dad had em. I had to have one too.
I was a volunteer fireman for 20 years.I always maintained a chainsaw of some sorts for storm clean up.
Last fall we had our 90 acre farm logged, so I wanted a newer more powerful saw, so I bought a 6400, well that was not enough. I ordered a jug and piston to make it a 7900, That is enough.... for now.
I was cutting up tree tops and giving it away. I always said I would never burn wood. as I was almost 18 before I found out my real name was Eric and not "get wood". But I realized I could weld me up an outdoor unit and tie it into my solar panels that feed my radiant floor system.So now I have a reason to own umpteen chainsaws I reckon.I now burn wood.. a lot of it.. All to save some money on my 125 a month winter heat bill.. LOL

I was almost 18 before I found out my real name was Eric and not "get wood".

That's funny...I grew up in the logging business,none of my family were loggers,but my neighbor was and he drafted me when I was around 12...I think I was around 20 when I realized my name was Paul and not "DAMMIT BOY HURRY UP!!!"

I'm a software engineer by trade.

I bought a 039 new and used it for years to cut the firewood I heated my house with. Probably 3-4 cords/year. Never had one problem with it. I was happy with it until last year when I found AS. Yes it all y'alls fault. Now look at my sig! And to make matters worse, I don't even burn firewood anymore. I haven't for 3 years. I got lazy and bought a pellet stove when I moved. My saws are now only used occasionaly. But they sure scratch that "more power" bug I've got:rock:

Howdy Folks,

Wow, what a mixture of professions. I'm retired military and took a job at a restaurant doing everthing but cook. I just recently was hired by CertainTeed to work as a Technician at a new wallboard plant.

I heat with wood (OWB) and love my saws. When I need to get away I just go out to the shed and ole Jake my shadow goes with me. He gives everything the final OK before cold start.

I'm having fun, very glad I found this site and thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge, stories and experience. It is greatly appreciated.

v/r

Mike

I am a heavy duty diesel mechanic for Canadian Pacific Rail Way. I got real interested in saw's when as a '' Kid " I worked as a firefighter ''Smoke jumper"For a few years, part time fire season only.Now I just cut fire wood to feed my three wood stoves. But I have pretty much liked anything with a motor on it my hole life.

15yrs Military as an Armor Officer, production supervisor providing painted plastic fascia's for those of you driving Chrysler's.
Started chainsaw fascination as a kid pulling brush while Dad cut...finally got the chance to do the cutting and haven't looked back.
Now cut 8-10 cord for my OWB, haven't touched the fuel oil in three years.
Started w/ 1 saw and AS helped me get a few more.

I'm just a lowly saw and small engine mechanic,but I love my saws and I cut and split a dozen or so cords of would every fall,gets me in shape for hockey season.:rock:

21 yrs as a soil scientist. 54 yrs on or around the farm w/ saws always around. my granpa had one of those monster mauls many yrs ago. shop burned and melted it.
today i just use them for some weekend exercise. takedowns and firewood for neighbors and friends. occasionally hit the woods for my logging cousin. the only tractor w/ loader around so there is always plenty of exercise.
need to keep n shape for burd season.
use the 066's w/ csm to slab the bigger logs for future table tops.
and enjoy the smell of fresh cut wood.

obtw great idea for a thread JONSERED2095. and hows the weather down there?? unusually hot n super dry here. 1.2" rain in last 10 weeks w/ 28 days of >95*!!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a logger any more, but 20 years ago I was. The biggest share of our logging was popple (quaking aspen) for paper pulp, but we also logged quite a bit of white cedar for building log homes, lots of firewood on the side too. Now I live in Suburbia (northern Utah) and there isn't much call for logging around here!! I do tree removals now to help folks out and bring back some old memories of logging with Dad and Grandpa.:greenchainsaw:
Thanks for starting this thread, it's been real interesting to hear a little bit about all these folks!

After watching cops ruin a innocent guy who gave me a lot of work i j ave lost a lot of respect for them they wanted his land an lied to get it planted some a ya know what kind of seeds on it took damn good care of em too finny they knew just how to find them . th guy is adecent man and I am sick of a bunch of cops abusing thier power .
to get what they want we should not be giving 20 somethings that much power as welll a sa firearm . I pay 100 bucks for them to drink coffee for 2 hours ?? WTF Do something like slow down the cars Duh
maybe wher you are they are cool but we have a major problem with them .
we are implementing a civilian oversight committee over the PDs objections tell me a lot forcing cameras into cars cannot take guns at home for now . have to turn all in . they made thier own mess but too late my buddy is suie the town our taxes are rising great going so yeah i am abit mad at them
So when socop over does it and has cop suff it is annoying just say I am acop and cut fire wood no need fro all the Look at me I am a cop BS
Oh another one is cooling his heals in county jail pending assault and rape of his wife nice guy . :chainsawguy:
and no supervision .
Oh just saying he enjoys beating things that do not obey says it all to me . most cops i know would cringe at that . even the guys who drink coffee and watch cars go by .
Sorry but after my court room experience and seeing out right perjury they lost any rep sect i had and i am sick of all cops as heros most just do thire jobs .
Thankfully he was acquitted his life is still a mess . Not much happened to the cops at least prison for thiner crimes??? :chainsawguy:

I did not mean to offend your wife just the overkill I am a cop stuff not all cops a nice guys or heroes a over used word . OK

My brother is a deputy and I know he does not have, no does not get the time, to sit around and drink coffee for hours on end.
They do not get enough praise or glory but all the bad publicity when one cop is overzealous. Remember, while watching tapes the beginning of the event is often not shown so we have no idea what sparked the fights or takedown.
It sounds as if mtn man has courtroom experience, which table was he sitting behind, maybe that is why he hates cops so much!:hmm3grin2orange:
Saying all cops are bad because 1 is bad is like saying all sting rays are bad because 1 killed a guy and now we have to exterminate the species:yoyo: .:blob2:

Cheers those that are!! :cheers:

A breif history and/or pedigree would be interesting if you fellar's (Fellers) are willing. And whats your main saw :chainsawguy:

I'm a tree surgeon...climbing, pruning, dismantling and felling. I'll prune your prized shrubs or takedown that overgrown 70' casuarina. I also teach horticulture, landscaping and chainsaw skills to industry (basics). Started in commercial landcaping, then into hotel grounds and interior plant maintenance, then to teaching, now tree work. Love it!
I'd say my main saw is a Silky Zubat, closely followed by my ancient 020t, then the MS250 then the MS290 - soon to be an MS361.
An 021 was my first saw, used around the house, invasive species destruction, firewood and BBQ fuel!

Well, I'm a mechanic/welder for the hwy dept. I fix everything from saws to dozers. I use my saws to cut wood to feed the OWB and heat my shop and house.

Architect (in training) in NW Minnesota. I use a MS290/20" bar for between 12-15 cords a year for my home boiler.

Jaberwky - Where are you at in Northwestern, mn if i may ask? I'm currently by Detroit Lakes, but grew up by Hibbing.

30 yrs. as a Field Engineer in the semiconductor business. Work for a Silicon Valley Company at a customers mfg. facility in the North East. Up to about a year ago I used a Homey 200 Classic to cut wood for our wood burner. Ran it with a dull chain until it got so hot that It melted a hole in the oil tank! When I began looking for a replacement saw I stumbled across this site and a couple of others, got hooked, began to learn and don't run dull chains any more. ;)

Danger Dan
150 AO
026 RS
046 RS

Another NW Minnesota contribution

I am the school band director and elementary music teacher. I also coach a Jr. LEGO robotics league. I help my inlaws on their 5000 acre farm in the summer over in North Dakota.

I have two wood furnaces that I feed and I love to work on saws. I love looking for parts and feeling great when I can rebuild an old saw. Jonsereds are my saw of choice since my dad used nothing but them all his life. This year, my two sons will be helping me in the woods and I am really looking forward to that.

Latest posts

Back