Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By day I'm working for the Blue Oval designing electronic modules for autos. Was in the market for a new saw and found this site while searching the web. Ended up getting a great deal on a 359 Husky.

Got the bug and picked up a 066 earlier this year. Now I cut for fun helping friends take down trees and stock up on firewood. Must have cut 6 cords worth so far this year.

Looking to pick up a WB system for the house soon and get off the natural gas.. I have found this site to be a warehouse of information on CS and am looking to mod the 066 this winter. Thanks everyone.

I am an IT Security Engineer/Consultant.

I'm a country boy, who moved to the city, and just bought a house outside the city this spring. Getting back to my Roots :)

I have an acre yard, with alot of tree's. I wanted to clear out a small patch in the back yard, but I didn't want a Wild thing. I also Hunt/fish alot, and I wanted something reliable to take with me, on the ATV and in the truck for Wind Fall and old trails I'm on that might be grown over a few years.

We also need to cut up a few cords every year for our Moose Camp, and we also have another camp that I go to in the winter on the Sled, so I need to cut a cord or so up there every year too.

On top of that, the house I just bought has an Airtight stove in the basement, and the old owner left me about a face cord of Cedar, so that should be gone in about 2 weeks!! I will likely burn about 1 cord a year at the house. I am not going to use it as a main source of heat, but mainly to keep us warm while we watch some Tube in the evenings during the winter.

Been working as a crime analyst in a medium-sized city PD for just over a year; was a college professor for six years before that.

I own saws for home-heating firewood. My three neighbors share my log splitter with me (at $40 a year for them) and I end up using my 440 to cut some of their wood, too, but I like doing it. I have 20 full cords stacked on the property (1/2 acre) with a few more to come once I finish the log load I got from a tree service last week (sharing that one with my neighbor, too).

I love heating with wood and grew up in a rural area. My parents heated with wood for about 15 years, but ripped out the stove when the kids went off to college. No more wood-carriers, I guess!

MarkG

Radiology Service Engineer by day. Maintain 4.5 acres for my home and 64 acres for my weekend retreat (almost all Oak and hickory). Love to be outdoors!

I'm the pastry chef at a beautiful resort on the Kohala coast on the Big Island of Hawaii. Before you think I'm a big cream puff, my hobby while I lived on Oahu was competing in bodybuilding contests. My chainsaw habit came from buying a woodburning stove over here. I sell a little firewood and now make some tables to support my disease. I have three saws, one modded, and am trying to think of a good reason to tell my wife why I need more.

Day job I work as a Land Surveyor, during the night time weekends I work on homework and attend college to finish my degree.

Used to sell firewood in highschool and college for extra cash. Currently do small removeals for friends, sell a little firewood, and help maintain things around the family farm

I'm an IT Service manager by day and partime guitar teacher and sometime live performer. I started cutting wood early on this year when gifted 15 acres of felled pine. Found chainsaws and the outdoor sweat and toil addictive and hope I can cut enough wood to sell some next winter. My partime music work supplement's my income and now my chainsaw is going to add to that too

I am an Army officer, and cut firewood for a few households out of our woodlot - and I think I am about to be addicted, lol......:givebeer:

... not really addicted, just stocking up a bit, before the new engine technology exemplified by the Husky 575, 570, 455 etc, and the Stihl 441, is setting the saws power to weight ratio 20 years back for some years - I am sure they will solve it, but it will take some time.....

Last edited:
I'm a heavy equipment operator in a landfill. I do excavating on the side, and use my saws to clear land, cut driveways, and firewood for friends. Plus, saws are just so cool.

Paramedic

Can't really figure out what happened in the last year that made me such a saw nut. I was a climber of VERY large buoys and dayboards in the Coast Guard for four years before I came back injto civilian life. I have always worked on 2 strokes (dirtbikes/sleds) but never saws.
Now I have 8 of them and use them to cut up enough wood to fuel my woodstoves and maple sugaring operation. To be honest, if I could go back and do it all over again, I would work in the woods full-time, and part time as a medic.
I have never seen an intoxicated tree with some god awful infectious disease spitting at me and everyone around me... Hence the reason I envy foresters...

Jason

I am an Army officer, and cut firewood for a few households out of our woodlot - and I think I am about to be addicted, lol......:givebeer:

... not really addicted, just stocking up a bit, before the new engine technology exemplified by the Husky 575, 570, 455 etc, and the Stihl 441, is setting the saws power to weight ratio 20 years back for some years - I am sure they will solve it, but it will take some time.....

:cheers: Troll!

It would be nice to see some more high profile AS members post here.

You know Troll: you only need to state your name, rank, and serial #'s.

:biggrinbounce2: [All saws please] :biggrinbounce2:

:cheers: Troll!

It would be nice to see some more high profile AS members post here.

You know Troll: you only need to state your name, rank, and serial #'s.

:biggrinbounce2: [All saws please] :biggrinbounce2:

I much prefere the wood-lot to the Army.......:greenchainsaw:

And I really keep a low profile here, don't you think.....:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm a 9th grade English teacher for 10 months, own a pavement maintenance company in the summer (sealcoat, crackfill, and stripe) and burn firewood for heat. About 90% of our heat is from wood :)

I am a product manager for a large corporation.
I use my saws to clean up around my house, cut firewood on a friends ranch, and do storm disaster cleanup when the need arises.
I also help out a local Stihl dealer in my spare time.

Troll

I was just apologising [quietly] for exposing your high-profileness. That's all. :D

Nice to see some more high profilers too.

:cheers: Mow

And everyone else, it's good to have a full array of the members here. No elitism guys!

:blob2: :blob4: :blob2: :blob4:

I was just apologising [quietly] for exposing your high-profileness. That's all. :D

Nice to see some more high profilers too.

:cheers: Mow

And everyone else, it's good to have a full array of the members here. No elitism guys!

:blob2: :blob4: :blob2: :blob4:

No problem, I finally got around to reading it.

Latest posts

Back