I think I've talked myself into a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your new tractor. Im holding out for an L4400. Got 40 acres to play on and a mile of private drive to maintain.

Keep an eye on CL and you will find some great deals on attachments.

A buddy of mine said to start going to farm auctions. He saw a PTO tiller go for $125 recently. I thought I might be able to make a nickel or two tilling gardens in the spring if I had such a contraption.

Ian

Love Bill Holmes's rally truck in the background! I like to play with (other people's) rally cars when I'm not playing with chainsaws...

Ya, same here. Those rally cars, der almost as expensive as buying tractors, almost...

Bill Holmes was about the only serious truck guy running SCCA PRO Rally back then. He was always at a handicap compared to the top cars of course, but always a crowd fave when he came through a stage.

Man, if I hadn't lost my head, I only had a couple a years to do, but when I saw you tearin' down the road in that truck.....

Last edited:
Congrats Ian. I've been following this thread and reading all the reasons for a bigger tractor, and I think I would be in the same situation as you and your needs. For me the loader and a small bush hog (whatever size is available for that tractor) would be perfect for me. Well to make it perfect...I would need to get the dump trailer...:)

I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences with your new toy...I mean tool...:)

Kevin

Out here it would be a fifteen point buck. I don't speak yooper too good, you knoooooowwwwwwwww, eh.

Dat's a problem mostly caused by missing fingers and such. Friggin westerners can't usually count to 10, much less 12. Here's my buddy's buck, 12 points, 13 if ya count the split brow tine as 2, had it green scored in the low 170s

Stupid "smart" phone is acting up again, will post a pic once it decides to cooperate !!@@@@

A buddy of mine said to start going to farm auctions. He saw a PTO tiller go for $125 recently. I thought I might be able to make a nickel or two tilling gardens in the spring if I had such a contraption.

Ian

Good advice.

Just make sure you have an idea of what a new piece will run,I've been to a few auctions where the bidders will run the price up to dang near what you would pay for it new.

Try to avoid the financing if you can. Before I bought a used Kabota 10 years ago my grading contractor friend told me "you'll be amazed with how much you will use it" He was SOO RIGHT! But be carefull because tractors like to multiply as I have since picked up a Scat Track skid Steer with a much needed grapple. a John Deere BackHoe, an old 1947 Oliver, a '48 Farmall Cub to restore and just finised restoring a 1940 Farmall M! Now, I'm tractor happy er... I have the a few more tools I realy need to get the job done (I tell my wife)

I anticipate the bucket being on the small side for moving any decent quantity of firewood. A rack on the 3pt would hold a lot more. Will probably fill the bucket at the same time for counterweight.

Ian

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about just smaller. I figure the forks about 18" long for a half pallet with a back and some kind of side supports so I can stack the wood up about 4'.

Ian

that would probubly be heavy enough for your machine. i dont have a front end loader on it now but my tractor is a 53 NAA with allot of steel and lifting a full pallet stacked up 4ft high makes my front end light. i can walk to the front of my tractor and lift it with one arm.

i am planning on making a snow plow mount to add some needed weight, its on my round-to-it list.:biggrinbounce2:

Congratulations, Kubota makes a great tractor and the bx series has a huge following. I grew up and still work on a farm and have been around all of the major brands over the years. Last summer (09) we purchased a Grand L series tractor with loader to handle a few few tasks. Its a great machine. Its my first experience with Kubota as a tractor not just an engine.

If you want to leave the bucket on for snow you can always build something to give your tractor the ballast it needs to fully utilize the loader and at the same time it can haul some wood. I have a New Holland tc35d that I keep at my house for different tasks. It has a ballast box or attachment on at all times. If I didnt have the capability to carry as much as I do in the bucket I would definatly build a box that can carry wood and act as an adjustable weight ballast for when I wanted to pick up more with the front.

There is a guy that is a few doors down that has the same BX tractor and he has the front mount snow blower. If you dont want to spend any more money for a while dont watch someone use one. Its enough to make someone want to get a BX and front mount blower just to take care of snow.

Best of luck with it, I am sure it will serve you for many years to come.

Hey, I asked first! Be sure and get the snowblower attachment. I'll want to borrow that also.

Congratulations. Now ship it out here! :clap:

You don't need it.

Hey Ian, never mind her...just get a little logging winch installed and I can use it for all the jobs the D-6 is too big for. Go ahead and ship it out here...I'll let you know how it works out in a professional setting. Uh, it does have a full roll cage doesn't it? ;)

You don't need it.

Hey Ian, never mind her...just get a little logging winch installed and I can use it for all the jobs the D-6 is too big for. Go ahead and ship it out here...I'll let you know how it works out in a professional setting. Uh, it does have a full roll cage doesn't it? ;)

Roll Cage???? You've got a helmet right?:laugh:

Just a fixed rops. I wanna put some KC lights on it. Just got back from the dealer, thought I'd drop in to see what info they need for me, and what do ya know, my tractor is there. They're prepping it and I might have it tonight. Friday morning at the latest. :rock:

Ian

Back