I think I've talked myself into a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BULL SPIT!!!
I have 3 Kubota tractors... and they are used in less than ideal conditions... also I know some commercial custom hire people that use Kubotas 6 days a week.. and they are in chicken houses.. ( a really bad enviroment for tractors) and they are over 5 years old and some even over 10 years.. and STILL going strong...
also hiring migrant ( read illegals) is one thing wrong today .. yes they will work but you are enabling them to stay and continue to bring more of them here

Man do I LOVE it when sarcasm doesn't type well.....

I have the fix for you. Buy a new ZTR. I have a 43hp John deere diesel tractor. It has 3 point and pto. I'll make you a good deal on that. Watch for a loader and your set for a lot less money. Problem solved when will you be here to get it?:biggrinbounce2:

Scott

That's what I would do. ZTR + utility tractor.

+1 on the 43hp diesel John Deere. It's my firewood workhorse:

jd4600-winter09.jpg

Last edited:
Why buy a Kubota ZTR for 10K+??? I bought a 61" Bobcat ZTR for $6000 this spring. 24hp kawasaki full commercial grade with a 5yr warranty for residential use. This warranty beats all other competitors 2yr warranty. Might check them out if you need a mower. I love mine. It's a beast.

My neighbor has a 54" Kubota ZTR with a 25 or 26hp kohler. He can't even come close to keeping up with my bobcat. I know he gave over $5000 for it used! With NO warranty.

a low end L series is not that big and is built better than the bx series and will have a better resale value plus you will find a boat load of other uses you haven't even thought of yet

I know you have an L (as do I), but there really aren't smaller and bigger ones in the series. Well not physically smaller/bigger. All L's are the same basic frame. They put larger engines in the same frame, and the hood grows to fit the engines on the larger end, but the overall size is basically the same. The only other changes they make are they use smaller tires standard on the small engine versions, and move up to bigger tires on the larger engines, but you can option the tires up. My L3130 has the smallest engine, but has the larger tires (bought it used - came that way).

Kubota has a huge display at the Minn State Fair every year, and seeing the various models side by side shows there is a huge difference among the BX-B-L series in physical size.

Right tool for the job. If a BX fits the bill, then an L will be way too big, IMHO.

I've got 2 more Kubota dealers within driving distance, I'll get quotes from them and see what they can do. This one quoted me $15,100 out the door, after tax. That's a hard chunk to swallow for a mower with a bucket.

The problem is that you have been looking at this from your wife's point of view, i.e. from a practical standpoint. However, you are a man and your life is about tools. Many tools....

Why spend $15K on a new tractor that may or may not do the job and you will be afraid to take into the woods for fear of getting it scratched? You need to go with the Guido Salvage plan as outlined below. All this is predicated on a $15,000 investment and your ability to spend that amount.

* Find a small agricultural tractor (35-45 HP) with a loader, 3 point hitch, PTO and power steering. Look for something that is fairly low hour and is well taken care of. For the purposes of this exercise, we will set the budget at $10,000.

* Get a low hour zero turn mower for the yard. The time you save will give you more time on the tractor and in the woods with your saw. This will cost $4,000.

* Buy a new saw, a nice Stihl, Husky or J-red in the $600 range.

* Take the remaining $400 and take your wife to dinner, a show and a night at a romantic bed and breakfast.

For your $15,000 you have 3 pieces of equipment and a happy wife. Life is good...

Problem with that scenario is that I don't have any woods to take it to. It will probably never leave the yard.

Also, my luck with used vehicles is such that if I bought a used anything, I would immediately have to pay to have it overhauled and would end up with the same amount of cash outlay anyway. I could buy a used hammer and lose out somehow. :help:

Ian

My neighbor has the same Kubota you're looking at. He ,like you, has no woods, just a 3acre lot with some trees. He basically only mows with it. Mowing with the loader on sure seems to be a PITA. Dodging trees and the house. Definately much slower than a zero turn. Probably not much different than your current lawn tractor. The loader is certainly limited do to size but, ever tool has it's designed purpose.

If you're definately going get one, go to the bank and get financing on a used one. There are plenty out there that only used as a mower. Not tore up by using it betyond its capabilities. Tons cheaper. You'll know if it's wore out or not. Good luck to you. Remember the hunt is the best part.

Problem with that scenario is that I don't have any woods to take it to. It will probably never leave the yard.

Also, my luck with used vehicles is such that if I bought a used anything, I would immediately have to pay to have it overhauled and would end up with the same amount of cash outlay anyway. I could buy a used hammer and lose out somehow. :help:

Ian

Sounds like you need to buy some woods then you can justify a real tractor and make everyone happy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

here is a 5k used kubota tractor. - with the 10k i saved I can buy a lot of implements. I will echo the L series over the B series if your moving wood around. Its not hp with tractors its weight. The thing I like about the older tractors is that there is a lot less to go wrong - they are "rears and gears" You will have a hard time hurting one of those machines. Mine is over worked all the time and its going strong . Mine is only 24 hp

Sounds like you need to buy some woods then you can justify a real tractor and make everyone happy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It'd be cheaper too... no wait :monkey:

Just what kind of place are you livin' in HH? No woods? You ain't one of them-thar FLAT landers are ya?

Small Tractor

Hey there HH,
you might also take a gander (if you haven't already) at the compact class Bobcat tractors,... I fully intend to buy a 55-65hp Massey or Mahindra asap, but had the need to rent a 35hp Bobcat 4wd recently to mow my small horse pasture (about 4 acres). It wasn't a lot bigger than the Kubota you're referencing, but was pretty impressive with it's capabilities. It had enough weight to have authority over it's bucket, but was light enough to tow on a reasonable car trailer (with attached bush hog mower). The turning radius was very good and the economy was excellent. I quickly found the machine's limits while moving dirt and gravel, (not hard to do when you're used to 85hp and up class farm tractors) but was amazed by the utility that the machine provided. I'm not trying to sell it, but rather just relating my personal experiences. If I didn't want to move/push/drag bigger loads, I'd seriously look at it or a similar sized tractor.

If you're dead-set on the BX - GET IT! If you basically want a heavier duty mower with some added utility, then you're on the right track. If you want to do bigger things (you'll be amazed how quickly you'll try to,...) then get a good new or used ZTR and then a 1,000hr or less 35-35hp tractor with a 3pt, pto, 5' loader bucket or better and laugh all the way to the bank. 2wd will accomplish a lot of things, 4wd will just do it easier, while tearing up less ground. It's also a blast in the mud or snow.... My 0.02 -Good luck with your choice!

Cripes: suburban man toys.
First you'll need a woodlot to play in.
Then.......

An excellent story about why we did not buy a tractor to manage the woodlots.

1. Any AWD tractor is big $$$: an easy $20,000. and that's with a minimum of attachments.

2. Loud colors: orange, red, green.:dizzy:

3. Don't do well in confined, bony, wet, rolling woodlands.

4. High COG--easy to tip on uneven ground.

5. That + $20,000. buys a lot of ATV machine ( e.g. Honda Foreman ), trailer,
new, larger saws, expensive Ranger boots, and, and, plus a few trips or cruises.:clap:

6. Exercise: you do need to move that body.......don't you ?

Butt: you want it, and you want it now. So get it. You've got the bucks.:jester:

Latest posts

Back