Top Handle Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The muff mod and tune REALLY wake up these little saws. A good little port job is even better.
This is interesting because several people told me muffler mods don't help a whole lot on these saws since it's pretty much an empty can(which it is...).

Sure you can allow more room for exhaust by extra holes, but that's about it.

I did some work in the air box. Removed a bit of a flange restricting air under the plate that covers the entry to the carb and opened the muffler a bit. I might do a bit more to the muffler after reading your comments.

This is interesting because several people told me muffler mods don't help a whole lot on these saws since it's pretty much an empty can(which it is...).

Sure you can allow more room for exhaust by extra holes, but that's about it.

I did some work in the air box. Removed a bit of a flange restricting air under the plate that covers the entry to the carb and opened the muffler a bit. I might do a bit more to the muffler after reading your comments.

That airbox mod requires some pictures to explain correctly, but, yes it does help.

The most important thing with these little saws is break in. They take around 10 tanks to really break in, regardless of mods. If you run a mm/tuned saw side by side with a stock one (both broken in) there is a very noticeable difference.

That airbox mod requires some pictures to explain correctly, but, yes it does help.

The most important thing with these little saws is break in. They take around 10 tanks to really break in, regardless of mods. If you run a mm/tuned saw side by side with a stock one (both broken in) there is a very noticeable difference.

Yeah, I have 7 tanks through it now, and it's way better than it was new for sure. I did the airbox mod/mm around tank 3 or so...

Yeah, I have 7 tanks through it now, and it's way better than it was new for sure. I did the airbox mod/mm around tank 3 or so...

And that is something that most people don’t have the patience for. They think right out of the box (or right from the porter) its at full power. This is one of the reasons that I try to put at least 2 full tanks through any saw I build. Get some break in time and make some tune adjustments before handing it over.

Sold a brand new ported Echo 590 to a guy and advised him the saw needed to break in, don’t expect to be blown away by it. He acknowledges this and leaves. Next day he comes back with it and says “i ran a tank of gas and its not any stronger, you must have done something wrong”. All I could do was shake my head and grab a beer.

And that is something that most people don’t have the patience for. They think right out of the box (or right from the porter) its at full power. This is one of the reasons that I try to put at least 2 full tanks through any saw I build. Get some break in time and make some tune adjustments before handing it over.

Sold a brand new ported Echo 590 to a guy and advised him the saw needed to break in, don’t expect to be blown away by it. He acknowledges this and leaves. Next day he comes back with it and says “i ran a tank of gas and its not any stronger, you must have done something wrong”. All I could do was shake my head and grab a beer.
well you do list Lejeune as your home...what you expect form that area? almost as bad as the crew at the stumps...

I have both 2511 and 355, have run the 192/3 (can’t stand them) 200T (good saw) and the 201. I have also ported all of them. Bang for the buck: Echo. For longevity the 200T is king. But, you can get 2 of the Echos for the cost of a 201T. Personally i prefer the ergonomics of the 2511 and 355 over the 200/201.

Just my $0.02
This is sound reply
Thanks

CS30EG(S)_.jpg Hi
Anyone any experience with the Hitachi CS30EG(S).
32,3 cm3/ 1,26 kW weight: 3,4 kg/7,5 pounds
Attractive local price gain my attention.
I found very little info about it
This is an older model, different to current production.
Looks like some Tanaka saw. Looks solid

N
View attachment 732245 Hi
Anyone any experience with the Hitachi CS30EG(S).
32,3 cm3/ 1,26 kW weight: 3,4 kg/7,5 pounds
Attractive local price gain my attention.
I found very little info about it
This is an older model, different to current production.
Looks like some Tanaka saw. Looks solid
Nope. But I like the open handle design. Looks a lot like the old Echos.

A bit off topic but I have a question about a couple of my top handle saws.

I have an Echo CS 3000 and also a CS 301. They look like they are identical saws. Does anyone happen to know the difference between these two models?

Attachments

• 1ED76C42-E0A1-4C4B-8664-97DF3C5841CB.jpeg
    1ED76C42-E0A1-4C4B-8664-97DF3C5841CB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 8B63CF5B-2047-4077-8D95-982E72561273.jpeg
    8B63CF5B-2047-4077-8D95-982E72561273.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 71FDA2A7-D7E0-44AD-885A-30AAD1372E0B.jpeg
    71FDA2A7-D7E0-44AD-885A-30AAD1372E0B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
A bit off topic but I have a question about a couple of my top handle saws.

I have an Echo CS 3000 and also a CS 301. They look like they are identical saws. Does anyone happen to know the difference between these two models?
I think the 301 has a cat muffler.
Like my 346 used to have.
20190330_105512~2.jpg

I just sale one Echo cs-360T now you can find it under 355T. WAS A GREAT SAW.
echo-gas-chainsaws-cs-355t-16-64_145.jpg

Back