Best limbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size saw is suitable depends a lot on the situation and wood - there isn't any universal solution.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go much under 50cc, unless the wood is very small. My favorite is the NE346xp, with a 16" .325 setup - some times 8-pin.

I'm feeling lazy today Josh. How much stroke did you gain with that crank?

I wish we could get the 543xpg here. But I've been wishing that for years and still, no dice.

Most of my cutting is limbing - flopping over skinny trees that are under 5" diameter, and breaking them into pieces that can be dragged and stacked. For that work, 238se, 242xp, 346xp/xpg, and, when the mood strikes, one of those Shinny 360/377 hybrids, are the preferred tools, all with 13" .325" setups. I have other saws, notably 020AVP and 339xp, that in theory should also work well for this work, but they just don't - the balance is wrong, the handling is wrong, not enough power to be productive. Ditto the tail handle Echos and Tanakas, which are definitely lighter but are dog slow in real world use.

Good and productive:

Not so much so:

I have two of these little Redmax 3800. This is the one that never has been gassed. I use it a lot for cutting eastern red cedar. With base gasket delete it has 185psi.
DSC_0010.jpg

I like my 200T or my Dolmar 5105H.

All depends on the situation at hand in regards to which one is up and cutting.

I really like my 192 rear handle version.
It is so light and smooth I can run it without my hands going numb and I don't feel beat to death. I know many think it is to small but man I like this saw. I cut two pick up loads today with it.

Limbing often is the most time consuming part of the cutting, but choosing a too small and/or too cheap saw for that part of the cutting is a common mistake.

It isn't "just a limbing saw", it is an important part of the equipment.

John, +2mm

Ends up at 38cc.

I am sure it isn't the fastest, but the build quality is unparalleled on a saw of this size, and it handles awesome!

That would be what roughly .075" out of the head? What did you do?

Latest posts

Back