Chainsaw chaps: How many use 'em?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wore my Stihl Promark wrap-around chaps while cutting today.

I just think about what Stihl RS square filed would do to my Tibia if it made contact at speed. That thought makes putting them on a pleasure!!!

I virtually never run the saw without the chaps. When I joined AS I had never heard of chaps, and I had been cutting for over 30 years. I also use helmet and muff combination, along with steel toe boots. If it is hot I just wear short under and I'm fine. If it's real hot I just rest more often and drink plenty and have a cigar now and them. JR

No , I'll never say I told you so (won't be able to if you bled out but I was thinking it ).
But why even wear a hard hat it if you don't need a bike helmet , It's your choice .
I'm just sayin' don't use "It's too hot "as an excuse not to wear PPE because I just get tired of hearing it as an excuse (there are worse jobs that suck more in heat and people do it day in and day out around the world ) ...Just plain old say" I don't or wont wear" .
As much as I hate , my choice is to put on the best boots , pants , helmet/visor/muffs that I can't afford and yours not too .
But man up (as you have done and I respect that) and don't look for an excuse (like some do).

:cheers:

:cheers:

Good post... I can live with that... :)

Gary

Nope not for me, I'm old school, just shorts, blue singlet and steel capped boots with sock protectors.Sometimes i wear sunglassed too untill they fog up. Ear plugs are the go over muffs as they get to hot.

Never ever wore them, only know of one logger in our area that ever puts them on. Not saying it's a bad idea. I've just never had any use for them, we've got lots of dense underbrush in alot of areas we cut in and I concerned about catching them on brush and falling. I've cut myself twice with a saw, big nasty gash on the inside of the left thigh, was about 18, still have the scars 30 years later and hit the right knee at about 24. In both instances chaps would have saved some skin and stitches. We do wear leather gloves most of the time cutting and heavy leather boots but thats about it as far as ppe.

i sometimes forget to take m off

when I am heading out I put them on before i get into the truck I never take them off I got into the conv store wearing them and I get a few looks but I dont care. I always put my hardhat/faceguard/earmuff combo on when the chips FLY. its too much a PIA when somethig flings in you eye or a branch knocks you on you a@#.

Guess I am not worthy of my skin either, don't wear um, never seen um....cept in Bailey's catalogs. I do wear steel toes and my helmet with muffs, but I am just a firewood hack!
Now you Aussies.....shorts??
In this neck of the woods, gotta have jeans or the chiggers will eat you alive.
I would wear chaps if they repelled chiggers!:clap:

Guess I am not worthy of my skin either, don't wear um, never seen um....cept in Bailey's catalogs. I do wear steel toes and my helmet with muffs, but I am just a firewood hack!
Now you Aussies.....shorts??
In this neck of the woods, gotta have jeans or the chiggers will eat you alive.
I would wear chaps if they repelled chiggers!:clap:
Ain't that the truth, :censored:I hate those little bastards.

I never cut without them, or without hardhat/ear/face protection. I never used to wear chaps, but the older I get, the more I know how easy it is to become a little tired and swing the saw a little sloppily, and then things can REALLY get red and sloppy in a hurry.

That being said, I don't worry if others don't have PPE, although I'm happy to recommend it. I'm not the antismoking or the seatbelt police, either. A man's business is his own business.

WTH are chiggers.
The worst we have to contend with are Bullants, Mozzies, Wasps and Spiders.
As arnold swarzenegger said, "Your worst nightmare". The are tiny red bugs that bite and the severe itch will stay with you for a week. You usually don't get one bite though, more like fifty or more.

Chigger+1.jpg

flickr_photo_of_chigger_bites_on_leg.jpg

Last edited:
I got pants and chaps ..

I like the pants in the winter,,,,gets kinda hot in the summer,,and why I broke down and bought some chaps....I fall one down I wear my skull bucket,,eye protection,,chaps or pants...I should wear ear protection but do only when I mill.....I'm half deaf from running the old Mcc's anyways....

Could be worst...

As arnold swarzenegger said, "Your worst nightmare". The are tiny red bugs that bite and the severe itch will stay with you for a week. You usually don't get one bite though, more like fifty or more.

Chigger+1.jpg

flickr_photo_of_chigger_bites_on_leg.jpg

Wait till you get chiggers on other places beside your legs...

Yep those are nasty lil critters alright i can tell by the imflamation, i bet there full of fumic acid(i think thats what its called) like bullants and wasps, burns like hell for a long while then itches like crazy for a week or so.Multiple bites can kill you if you have an alergic reaction.

It aint fun...

Pull out the nail polish and hope that kills em......The places I had em,,you wouldnt wanna go out on a date and get lucky cause when she see your junk,,and all the welps,,that would be the last you see of her...LOL!!!

Yep those are nasty lil critters alright i can tell by the imflamation, i bet there full of fumic acid(i think thats what its called) like bullants and wasps, burns like hell for a long while then itches like crazy for a week or so.Multiple bites can kill you if you have an alergic reaction.
What's a bullant? Their bites are not like wasp stings, Wasp stings go away shortley. A chigger bite will not go away for a while even when you scratch off all the skin and living tissue that surrounds the bite. and you will.lol

Back