Chainsaw chaps: How many use 'em?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my work in 1981 so 30 years more or less of cuttin with saws in trees and on the deck.
1st chaps arrived on the job free of charge from Stihl about 1989 they saved a work mate some months later. I myself have worn em about 20% of the time since freely available here in OZ. Worked for Assplundah 4 years so worn em more often then.
Never nick or rip, had a few surprise close calls, typically on the down cut as the saw pops out fast heading leg ways. I reckon its just been my dumb luck as I seen quite a few other work mate loose some leg meat.
Now I wear em 90% of the time as I know my luck is running low and as I age so does my witt's.

When they can make em light and breath, that's when take up will move up. Sadly with any heat on the job they may actually cause concern as you may tend to rush the task hoping to get em off faster.

I think I am most surprised to see people cutting on videos without ear protection. OOUCH. I do not want to lose my hearing either but a leg would be bad enough.

And on saws with muffler mods :dizzy:

One of the BIGGEST reoccurring themes I see any time someone starts a thread about chaps are the complaints about heat for a reason not to wear them
SUCK IT UP PRINCESS comes to mind .
I've cut many a day at 27c to 32c with high humidity and sweat like a pig at a lot slower pace (yes I know there are a lot hotter places) .

:cheers:

I agree. Using heat as an excuse is clutching at straws for a reason not to wear them. I've cut in temps up to 45°c (dry heat though) and although you sweat like a pig if you drink heaps of water you'll be fine. Its like using the old line for smoking "I knew a 90 year old guy that smoked 20 packs a day and was still as fit as a fiddle". Maybe you'll be OK, maybe you won't.

Each to their own. I never used to wear chaps but then they became compulsory with my current tree job. Now I feel awkward not wearing them. However they DO NOT MAKE YOU BULLETPROOF. I have a few small nicks in my Husky 9 layer pro chaps that I'd like to "think" are from sticks etc but I'm not so sure despite always being ultra careful :(

Fact is the more time you spend on saws the higher your risk of injury no matter how you look at it.

No matter how good you are with a saw accidents can happen. Someone, somewhere, a lot more experienced with chainsaws than everybody here has died cutting a main artery thinking chaps are for pussies. I bet he wasn't thinking that as he was bleeding out on the forest floor...

I've never worn them... prolly never will. My choice...

Just wearing them won't make me cut any safer. Is is stupid for me to not wear them? Maybe... I will never make an excuse for not wearing them... I just don't. Hardhat... yep...

The funny thing about these threads is how quickly it always turns nasty... PPE Nazi's will always voice their opionins loudly... Hard headed idiots like me will always shrug it off. ...and so when I cut my leg off... you can point and laugh at me and say... "told ya so!"

Gary

I wore them when I was on the fire crew...they came in handy for stopping the saw when I was cutting and pushing down small stuff.

I'll probably never wear a pair again, but when my boy gets big enough to use a saw, he'll be wearing them.

I have no problem with double-standards...I don't eat vegetables either.

I bought my first pair with my first saw, plus helmet, steels and gloves. Mrs Landy insisted upon it. She was right.
I sweat like a rapist in them, and if i`m humping stuff about they`re on and off like a whores drawers. Hassle? yes. I take plenty of H20 to replenish as a lack of it will bring on fatigue, then the temptation to not wear chaps.A cycle develops which will end in tears.
I always think that if i asked an amputee if they would like their limb back the answer would be yes, and is it a hassle being without it, the answer would be yes also.

Think

THE BEST SAFETY GEAR YOU HAVE IS YOUR BRAIN ,USE IT OR LOOSE IT. Having said that i am finding that as i get older my safe cutting time is shortening due to tiredness .

I have never used chaps, cutting 4 cords a year for a while, now thats doubling, tripleing....Never seen my boss use em, or any one on our little crew. I've just come to realize how "old school" (outdated) his practices are, this last year or so. I'd like to be as safe as I can, i do wear glasses, hearing protection, double toe leathered arborist boots, and would like to get a hardhat with screen and some chaps or chainsaw pants. I will not cut in shorts. Any differenece between the pants and chaps? I'd like to find a pair of gloves too, but i can't stand to run a saw with em. I was doing a plunge cut the other day and threw a 28" chain, barely knicked my left middle finger through the second knuckle.

I'm thinking of wearing snake chaps this summer. Tons of rattlesnakes around here. Wouldn't hear them over the saw, hard to see. Been buzzed enough times already, thanks.

Like my mom used to say: "Don't come running to me if you cut off both your legs."

I just started wearing them a couple years ago... I have been cutting for over 20 years, never had an accident. BUT it only takes one small cut to the femoral artery and your in the woods alone.... most likely you won't make it out alive. Most chainsaw accidents happen to the legs. Wear your chaps!! :cheers:

I wear chaps and swear by them I was taught to use chaps at a young age and that is what is cemented into my mind. Also it is against the law here in NZ to not wear chaps while working in any commercial operation be it farming or forestry and feel that that law needs to be extended to the average Joe citizen who goes out once or twice a year to cut a bit of firewood with his beat up old chainsaw that has no chain brake and the chain spinning at idle.

discovered yesty that pants are good for stopping inch ants biting your legs, that is until they sneak around to the vent holes. then its go time to see how fast you can get your pants off.

Labonville orange 6-ply. My thighs sweat pretty bad. But, they are real nice for kneeling on one knee when I am stumping or cutting a log on the ground. I am 45 and my knees hurt all the time, so the chaps are good padding besides keeping my legs attached.

I keep offering Mrs KG42 a kinky thrill, that I will wear the chaps - and nothing else. So far she has turned me down. Hey, they're even split crotch, baby! What is your problem woman???

after what happend this week i will be wearing them before i pick up the chainsaw. a friend of mine wants me to sharpen his chains for some cutting next week and i asked him if he has chaps. he said he doesn't have them and probably don't need them. i picked up a pair for him today and will give them to him for next week. i was lucky. don't need this to happen to him. harold

I wear Labonville chaps. That video where Madsens put a ham in the blue jean leg and cut it with a chainsaw convinced me.

Just wearing them won't make me cut any safer. Is is stupid for me to not wear them? Maybe... I will never make an excuse for not wearing them... I just don't. Hardhat... yep...

The funny thing about these threads is how quickly it always turns nasty... PPE Nazi's will always voice their opionins loudly... Hard headed idiots like me will always shrug it off. ...and so when I cut my leg off... you can point and laugh at me and say... "told ya so!"

Gary

No , I'll never say I told you so (won't be able to if you bled out but I was thinking it ).
But why even wear a hard hat it if you don't need a bike helmet , It's your choice .
I'm just sayin' don't use "It's too hot "as an excuse not to wear PPE because I just get tired of hearing it as an excuse (there are worse jobs that suck more in heat and people do it day in and day out around the world ) ...Just plain old say" I don't or wont wear" .
As much as I hate , my choice is to put on the best boots , pants , helmet/visor/muffs that I can't afford and yours not too .
But man up (as you have done and I respect that) and don't look for an excuse (like some do).

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back