Dolmar 421, Stihl 250/251, 241 or 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 250 or 251,241 or 261 or Dolmar 421

• Dolmar 421

• Stihl 251

• Stihl 250

• Stihl 241

• Stihl 261

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is there an advantage to the Arctic version? Or is that just what he has for sale?

No advantage in Mississippi. They have heated handles and carbs, and require a magneto to drive them. They are about $100 more for that setup. Cannot see using one in the sweltering heat in the south.

Ok so it sounds like over all the Dolmar is going to be the lightest weight with all most identical power output to the 241, the 261 comes from the factory able (rated) to handle a 20 inch bar.

Would the Dolmar be able to accept Stihl Bars and Chains, or is there a Dolmar sprocket that would allow the Dolmar tO use Stihl B&C's?

The Dolmar 421 is heavier than the 241 and weighs the same as the new 261 (at least on paper). The Dolly 421 rates 2.9 HP, and the Stihl 241 rates 3.1 HP. The Dolmars do not swap with Stihl bars, without some kind of adapter. I also presume that the 421 comes with a low profile B&C, like the 241 does, and not 3/8 standard like your 661. Same gauge, but different chain and bars.

The paper stats:

Dolmar 421: 10.8 lb., 2.9 HP (low profile B&C ?)

Stihl 241: 9.9 lb., 3.1 HP (small mount bar, low profile or .325 B&C)

Stihl 261 type I: 11.5 lb., 3.9 HP ((large mount bar, low profile, .325, or standard B&C)
Stihl 261 type II: 10.8 lb., 4.1 HP (large mount bar, low profile, .325, or standard B&C)

Stihl standard B&C is what you have on your 661.

The Canada sale on the 261 may only cover the type I model. Some dealers are getting in new batches of 261 saws now and we will find out. Power to weight ratio is way better on the 261 saws. They also run any type of Stihl large mount B&C (I have run all three on my 026 saws).

The paper stats:

Dolmar 421: 10.8 lb., 2.9 HP (low profile B&C ?)

Stihl 241: 9.9 lb., 3.1 HP (small mount bar, low profile or .325 B&C)

Stihl 261 type I: 11.5 lb., 3.9 HP ((large mount bar, low profile, .325, or standard B&C)
Stihl 261 type II: 10.8 lb., 4.1 HP (large mount bar, low profile, .325, or standard B&C)

Stihl standard B&C is what you have on your 661.

The Canada sale on the 261 may only cover the type I model. Some dealers are getting in new batches of 261 saws now and we will find out. Power to weight ratio is way better on the 261 saws. They also run any type of Stihl large mount B&C (I have run all three on my 026 saws).

Sooo, being an ignorant shmuck regarding mechanics, how do I tell the difference in the Type I and Type II 261's?

Nothing ignorant about it. Few of us know that the type II saw even exists. You will not see a type II 261 saws here for a while yet. They are only being released in Canada and Germany for the time being. The cant of the cylinder and the side covers are the dead giveaway though.

Type I:

261 type I.png
Type II:
261 type II.jpg

They all post PHO weight empty. That is because B&C weight will vary between bar length and type. Fluid weight will also vary on how full the tanks are (near full, or overflowing?). There have been great debates on this site about saw weight, and what the manufacturers post and actual weights of saws that people buy and weight themselves.

I'd like to see some honest ready to cut weights, full of fuel and oil(not half full) as that's what we have to carry around. Published weights have been known to be off by quite a bit. Steve

That will never happen. They would have to list 10 different weights just for the 261, with all the B&C combinations available for it.

They all post PHO weight empty. That is because B&C weight will vary between bar length and type. Fluid weight will also vary on how full the tanks are (near full, or overflowing?). There have been great debates on this site about saw weight, and what the manufacturers post and actual weights of saws that people buy and weight themselves.

Ohhhh, ok, thank you for the pointer. I did not realize that can was full-o-worms.

Ya some people get crazy over a few ounces. Being able to handle the saws and cut with them will be a better deciding factor then a few oz difference.

Ya some people get crazy over a few ounces. Being able to handle the saws and cut with them will be a better deciding factor then a few oz difference.

Well I can cut with them, and got the seal of approval from a 40 year veteran Logger of "hey, that's purrty good" with regards to my chain sharpening. So as long as they run I'm in the green....

I see it similar. Especially when taking into context that all this talk is about a guy who bought and is running a 661 on regular basis. ANY saw mentioned will feel MUCH lighter!

And about the 421 / 241 pissing match. One of the much respected modders(mastermind / Randy) here on this site did a review of the 40cc class with the 241 and 420 (predecessor of the 421 with ONLY 2.7hp!) included. And UNMODIFIED he liked the 420 more than the 241! And this fellow mods ton's of saws every month and has quite an experience.

What would I choose?
Money in my pocket and I have a 420 at home! Prestige for a hobby is for me simply not worth it!

Personally I beieve that @Michaelmj11 bought the wrong saw in the beginning anyhow. The 661 is simply a unwise choice for the wood in the pic, if we assume it is exemplary. A simple 60-70cc saw (f.e. Stihl 362/441/461) would have been more than enough and this whole discussion would have never happenend.

I see it similar. Especially when taking into context that all this talk is about a guy who bought and is running a 661 on regular basis. ANY saw mentioned will feel MUCH lighter!

And about the 421 / 241 pissing match. One of the much respected modders(mastermind / Randy) here on this site did a review of the 40cc class with the 241 and 420 (predecessor of the 421 with ONLY 2.7hp!) included. And UNMODIFIED he liked the 420 more than the 241! And this fellow mods ton's of saws every month and has quite an experience.

What would I choose?
Money in my pocket and I have a 420 at home! Prestige for a hobby is for me simply not worth it!

Personally I beieve that @Michaelmj11 bought the wrong saw in the beginning anyhow. The 661 is simply a unwise choice for the wood in the pic, if we assume it is exemplary. A simple 60-70cc saw (f.e. Stihl 362/441/461) would have been more than enough and this whole discussion would have never happenend.

Do u think a ported 346 is faster than a ported 241c?

Do u think a ported 346 is faster than a ported 241c?
Faster when? With full 16 inch bar in oak or running in 10 inch fir tree?
For me porting is interesting, but not worth the investment in my work field as a homeowner/firewooder. I doubt I would be able to cut 1/4 chord of wood more per day when adding all the seconds saved in a single cut. For a full blown pro who does nothing day in day out, hell yes get the super duper quad finger port super saw. It is a tool that you work with and as such everyone wants and should use the best. The tools I earn my living with cost around 100k. Thankfully I don't have to pay for them, I just get to play with them! :D

What would I choose?

I didn't buy the 661 for doing clean up.... hence why I need to buy a second saw. I bought the 661 to go hunting big Osage Orange. (Toughest wood on the Continent)

I just had an urge to go help out thousands of people who had their homes blown away by a tornado 2 days before Christmas, and took what I had.

Faster when? With full 16 inch bar in oak or running in 10 inch fir tree?
For me porting is interesting, but not worth the investment in my work field as a homeowner/firewooder. I doubt I would be able to cut 1/4 chord of wood more per day when adding all the seconds saved in a single cut. For a full blown pro who does nothing day in day out, hell yes get the super duper quad finger port super saw. It is a tool that you work with and as such everyone wants and should use the best. The tools I earn my living with cost around 100k. Thankfully I don't have to pay for them, I just get to play with them! :D

Ok I see where u r comin from. I was just trying to pass along to the OP my personal experiences. If money is a factor the 421 no doubt but he has a 661 and obviously put out the $$$ on it. As far as the porting a 346xp and a 241c will be faster than a 420/421 no doubt. That video I posted earlier of the 241c was 1.4 sec faster in a 3 cut avg than a well known porter here 346xp. A 241 can be made to cut. Also a factor to consider more than the weight is balance. The 241 u dont feel the weight but a perfect balance but the 421 doesnt balance that well to me. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back