ms250 parts diagram? bar not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i cant find one anywhere without signing up at some crap website that probably doesnt even have the right diagram. I want to see where the bar oil tanks vent is to possibly clean it. my bar isnt getting oil. The saw is new with about 2 hours of use on it.

First thing, take it back to the dealer and let him check it out.
Lots of us STIHL owners have that problem. It has to do with the new design. I went through your delima too. I have an old topic on it you should read or go to my profile pictures and see how I fixed my problem.

First thing, take it back to the dealer and let him check it out.
Lots of us STIHL owners have that problem. It has to do with the new design. I went through your delima too. I have an old topic on it you should read or go to my profile pictures and see how I fixed my problem.
yep thats what i originally thought. back to dealer i go. hes getin it with no lube!

i cant find one anywhere without signing up at some crap website that probably doesnt even have the right diagram. I want to see where the bar oil tanks vent is to possibly clean it. my bar isnt getting oil. The saw is new with about 2 hours of use on it.

This series is notorious for being stingy with bar oil esp with longer bars. Tried to upload an IPL but my file is too large. There is an oil pump with increased flow 1123 640 3201 .65. The one in your saw is probably 1123 640 3200 .55. However the 3201 pump is pricey last time I checked $32.00. I enlarged the inlet and outlet holes in the 3200 pump. Worked OK but I needed to make em a little bigger. Was on an MS250 w/20" bar which IMO is too long for this saw.
Shep

All I did was etch a deep channel in my bar that directs the oil from the oil port into the chain reservoir.

This series is notorious for being stingy with bar oil esp with longer bars. Tried to upload an IPL but my file is too large. There is an oil pump with increased flow 1123 640 3201 .65. The one in your saw is probably 1123 640 3200 .55. However the 3201 pump is pricey last time I checked $32.00. I enlarged the inlet and outlet holes in the 3200 pump. Worked OK but I needed to make em a little bigger. Was on an MS250 w/20" bar which IMO is too long for this saw.
Shep

A 20" bar is way too much on that model, even though it is shorter than called (all 3005 mount Stihl bars are).

If I'm reading into this correst he made a channel in the bar were the oil hole is :msp_tongue:

Surely, but I don't really understand how it will help, as I hope the oiler hole in the bar fits with the oil output channel on the powerhead. If not, there is a major design flaw that I never notised on the 250s I used and worked on (I hate those saws btw, as the model is cheaply made POS, all the way).

We know the oiler port is an elongated slot, and with a sufficient amount of oil being forced into it, the oil would escape into the barchain reservoir. This is not happening. Thus, to little oil is reaching the chain to prevent overheating. I could spend more money for a stronger pump, or collect all the oozing oil from the oiler where it contacts the bar, and direct it to the reservoir by extending the reservoir opening to the oiler port. That's what I did, and it's working great.

We know the oiler port is an elongated slot, and with a sufficient amount of oil being forced into it, the oil would escape into the barchain reservoir. This is not happening. Thus, to little oil is reaching the chain to prevent overheating. I could spend more money for a stronger pump, or collect all the oozing oil from the oiler where it contacts the bar, and direct it to the reservoir by extending the reservoir opening to the oiler port. That's what I did, and it's working great.

pics mr.!!!!!

took it back to dealer. he pulled bar revved it for 3 minutes then oil started comin out. he said nothin wrong with it. he put bar back on upside down then tried to sling oil on a tire. it did make a faint streak. he said thats as good as its gonna get for this model saw. told me if i want better mix the blue bottle oil 50% with the orange. it looks better than it was. i must had had it plugged a bit.

The arrow points to the oiler port. The oil flows over the edge here. There's not enough being pumped to fill the elongated channel. So, I measured where the oil meets the bar after the chain is tightened. Then opened a slightly tapered channel from the reservoir to the oiler port, and walla, my chain is now well oiled.

attachment.php

aftermodchainoil0111.jpg

Mine is faint too and I have put three tanks through it. Until I took a white sheet of paper I couldn't tell. Even then it was barely noticeable. Every time I filled up it was needing some more bar oil added so I knew it was coming out.

When I got mine another customer was saying that's the only thing he didn't like was he didn't believe they put enough bar oil out.

The Bar is tuff, so I used a small drill bit the size of the entrance to the chain reservoir and made 3 or 4 notches sidebyside. Then with the dremel, I smoothed out the channel.
attachment.php

I haven't notice a problem with the oiler on my 250

When im cutting something with the whole bar I do notices a little smoke coming from the bar but I don't think a 250 is what you want to be bucking 16" or bigger dia. logs

Normal limbs and smaller logs is what it's made for IMO

GREAT PiX!!!!! BTW,,, did ya do both sides of the bar???

Last edited:
Mine is faint too and I have put three tanks through it. Until I took a white sheet of paper I couldn't tell. Even then it was barely noticeable. Every time I filled up it was needing some more bar oil added so I knew it was coming out.

When I got mine another customer was saying that's the only thing he didn't like was he didn't believe they put enough bar oil out.

It may help to change to VegOil...

Back