Stihl 090 in real wood 1st time VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just $0.02 cents worth....

Try a 1/8th turn in at a time till you get your fastest cut.

If you gave it an 1/8th turn with out a gain in a log that size, bring it back out an 1/8th , you would be 'there' .

If that saw is holding good compression, it's my bet that it will cut that size Oak log in the high teens with a good sharp chain?

(Edit: check the plug after running it with all that smoke, make sure it has not fouled?)

Last edited:
To make the choke stay at any position you pull it to you need to make it grip the shroud better.
Remove the "U" shaped rod from the shroud and sqeeze the steel together a little then reinstall. If it clamps well to the shroud and requires a deacent amount of force to move it then you are done.
The small plastic piece is also important for keeping the choke puller in place (while the shroud is off the saw), does yours have one?
attachment.php

Choke Off Position, Wind Vane Operational
attachment.php

Choke On Position
attachment.php

Choke Off Position, Wind Vane Disabled
Lift the choke puller over the wind vane lever and use the choke puller to hold the lever in it's furtherest forward position, this will keep the Wind Vane disabled.
attachment.php

To Tune
Disable the wind vane and tune to 11000 RPM with bar and chain installed, only run at 11000 RPM for short periods at a time as obviously it isn't overly good for the saw!
When you have it running at 11000 RPM (WOT), enable the wind vane again.
Put engine shroud back on and test the RPMs, move the spring on the Wind Vane untill 7500 RPM to 8000 RPM is reached, remember to put the engine shroud on when testing RPMs as it is a factor controling air flow around the Wind Vane and therefore how/when the Wind Vane operates.
Ignore the red instant gasket around the cylinder base, this is a modified 090.................... LOL! But that's another Thread!
attachment.php

Last edited:
Dibbs good buddy. Thanks for posting the very explicit photos - they tell it all. I am missing the nylon block and that is why the choke will not pull out and stay. Any idea where someone can get one of those or will I have to try and make one? I had seen the wind vane spring and wondered exactly what it did. Now I know and also know exactly how to use it. I can't thank you enough for going the extra kilometer! I'd offer you a Guinness but guess it isn't as much a treat to you as it is to me. Maybe some good 30+ year old charcoal cask aged local hooch! I'll post a new video when I get out to the farm and have it running again.

Dibbs good buddy. Thanks for posting the very explicit photos - they tell it all. I am missing the nylon block and that is why the choke will not pull out and stay. Any idea where someone can get one of those or will I have to try and make one? I had seen the wind vane spring and wondered exactly what it did. Now I know and also know exactly how to use it. I can't thank you enough for going the extra kilometer! I'd offer you a Guinness but guess it isn't as much a treat to you as it is to me. Maybe some good 30+ year old charcoal cask aged local hooch! I'll post a new video when I get out to the farm and have it running again.

No Problem, I'll go the extra mile for the right people!
30 year old aged hooch sounds interesting, if I'm ever over Montana direction I'll call in for one, or two, or long enough to get my stomach pumped!

The case mount holds the choke puller in place when the shroud is attached, but, the nylon block holds the choke puller in place when the shroud is un-attached, when the pressure is on to clamp the choke puller to the shroud, the choke puller can sometimes spring off before you get the shroud screwed on.
The nylon block does not create friction to hold it in place, the spring action of the choke puller clamping onto the shroud at the points of the arrows (in the picture) creates the friction required for it to hold it's position.
attachment.php

please tell me about this modification or thread link. thanks, ric

Stihl 090 Max Squish?

Thanks again Dibbs. You are a great help. I'll not be out to the farm for a week or so so won't be able to check this all out but I am REALLY looking forward to correcting the choke and setting the rpms.

I'm actully in Virginia (full time), West Virginia (when I can get away) and Montana (when my wife can get enough time off to make the 3000 mile trip). So you are welcome to anyone of those whenever you make it over here.

Why do you have an 090 in Ireland. I've only been to Dublin but spent considerable time in Scotland and assume the timber in Ireland is much the same as the Scots have. Nothing bigger than my thigh. LOL

This is one of those great threads here on AS. Lots of valuable info being exchanged without digressing into banality!

So you are welcome to anyone of those whenever you make it over here.

Why do you have an 090 in Ireland. I've only been to Dublin but spent considerable time in Scotland and assume the timber in Ireland is much the same as the Scots have. Nothing bigger than my thigh. LOL

The cross Atlantic flight is out of the question for a few years since there is a baby on tow as well nowadays!
I'll apologize now, as the first time I was in the U.S. I probably just flew over your neck of the woods and didn't give it a second thought. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you lot in the middle!

You must have some set of legs, as last year I cut up some 50" stuff for my uncle!

I only really own an 090 so I can answer questions on the Forum! .............. Now, where would you find a Dolmar 166 ............... for purely selfless reasons!

The cross Atlantic flight is out of the question for a few years since there is a baby on tow as well nowadays!
I'll apologize now, as the first time I was in the U.S. I probably just flew over your neck of the woods and didn't give it a second thought. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you lot in the middle!

You must have some set of legs, as last year I cut up some 50" stuff for my uncle!

I only really own an 090 so I can answer questions on the Forum! .............. Now, where would you find a Dolmar 166 ............... for purely selfless reasons!

Congratulations on the rug rat! You're forgiven for flying over and not stopping but at least wave next time.

Uh...My legs aren't quite that big but my midsection is getting close.

Well I'm glad you have the 090 for that purpose you've helped me immensely. I love the look of your Dolomar CT. Very similar to the 08, S-10, Contra, 070, 090 series. I might have to add one more saw to my "want" list. If you find a 166 on this side of the pond that you want shipped let me know.

If you find a 166 on this side of the pond that you want shipped let me know.

Thanks, but, if I find a 166 on your side of the pond, Leeha or Hoss will have it before I even find out about it!

The old Dolmars are nice, I have a CC too but it needs a clutch and sprocket.

Thanks again Dibbs. You are a great help. I'll not be out to the farm for a week or so so won't be able to check this all out but I am REALLY looking forward to correcting the choke and setting the rpms.

I'm actully in Virginia (full time), West Virginia (when I can get away) and Montana (when my wife can get enough time off to make the 3000 mile trip). So you are welcome to anyone of those whenever you make it over here.

This is one of those great threads here on AS. Lots of valuable info being exchanged without digressing into banality!

There is big timber in scotland,just got to look in the right places:)

No Problem, I'll go the extra mile for the right people!
30 year old aged hooch sounds interesting, if I'm ever over Montana direction I'll call in for one, or two, or long enough to get my stomach pumped!

The case mount holds the choke puller in place when the shroud is attached, but, the nylon block holds the choke puller in place when the shroud is un-attached, when the pressure is on to clamp the choke puller to the shroud, the choke puller can sometimes spring off before you get the shroud screwed on.
The nylon block does not create friction to hold it in place, the spring action of the choke puller clamping onto the shroud at the points of the arrows (in the picture) creates the friction required for it to hold it's position.
attachment.php

Stihl 090 Max Squish?

Okay...Back from a four day weekend at the farm and what I found out is confusing. Attached are a couple of photos to show the problem I have encountered with the choke.

Note in this photo that the choke is not straight as it appears in your photo? Unless there are different choke pullers for different saws and someone got the wrong one for my saw I believe the previous owner bent it trying to get it to work after breaking a small piece off the housing. What do you think?

attachment.php

Here is a second photo showing how it doesn't fit onto the new shroud I purchased to replace the broken one. Should I go ahead and straighten out this one or try to find another?

attachment.php

Thanks in advance...Carl

Put it in a vise and clamp it straight then place under nylon pad and all should be well ! Just had a look at my 090 and it is straight as is my 070.

Put it in a vise and clamp it straight then place under nylon pad and all should be well ! Just had a look at my 090 and it is straight as is my 070.

Yep, straighten it out as Dave says, that's how they come from Stihl, I put a small bend in the last 1/4" as (when straight) it sometimes had the tendency to ride over the choke lever and you'd pull and pull at the thing from cold only to find the choke was never really on in the first place!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Thanks guys...Did it last weekend and it is running great, starting as it should and tuned pretty good. I'll try to get a video next weekend and post it.

Thanks, I can always count on you guys!

Latest posts

Back