026 cone filter adapter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asand1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any one ever seen one?

I played with MS paint for a couple minutes designing one with a choke plate. Seems like it wouldnt be too hard to make using wax and a sand cast, or CNC. Anyone wanna try??

filteradapter.jpg

Why not just use a carb with a choke plate? There are a couple bolt on options.

But what is the plan? you don't need a choke or filter for a racing saw and that kind of filter hanging out the back is not that practical for work plus very little to gain. 260 nylon filter will flow all you need and keep the big dust out. Even the regular 260 filter will help an old 026 out.

I know of a big saw shop that has the velocity stacks. Just make sure to get an angled stack, 45° would be best. They should have a foam filter also. TW is right though, not much to gain unless it's really talkin'.

Another option to make neat parts is epoxy and carbon fiber or even just plain glass. Easy to carve a foam form then lay the cloth and epoxy over it. then melt the foam out with acetone or some solvent. It would be lighter and a lot easier to make than casting aluminium ind getting into involved cnc work.

Also another option to ditch the choke is add a small primer bulb.

Something to think on is that there can be some effects based on the dimentions of the intake tube, tuned right it can gain you a little HP in the power band, but just as quick it can cause a loss of power or problems at low speed ect, best to make a test unit first and mess with the dimentions then build the final design.

Some reading on Helmholtz resonators might be worth while if you do get to building something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

Im not really concerned with performance gains at this point. My filter had some sawdust fines in it, flocking looks like new to me. I suspect due to the two piece design. Has anyone ever swapped a choke carb and other filter onto an 026?

does anyone on here have an 026?

Most people have trashed them due to low power and being heavy. If you have one I'll let you mail it to me free of charge and I'll add it to my vintage collection.:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

i cant get mine to run right theres 3 idle screws not sure how to tune it? how old are they?

Stihl 026 is fine with me...

does anyone on here have an 026?

I don't have one 026, at the moment I have three. I looked over your design, and having been in fabrication for years it was still not clear to me what you are trying to accomplish. Are you simply trying to eliminate the stock stihl filter, or are you trying to modify your saw's intake capacity to race? I'm not sure I could help with either, but I am always reading and learning.

just trying to get it to run right idles fine for a min then goes down real low was cutting good for ten min then started bogging when i tried to cut

just trying to get it to run right idles fine for a min then goes down real low was cutting good for ten min then started bogging when i tried to cut

You might try to keep all your posts in the thread you started. It will make it easier for people to get all the info they need to help you.:)

Mr. HE:cool:

Sounds like your saw needs to be checked out. Are we assuming the filter is clean, the plug is fine, it has a new fuel filter (otherwise tuned up). Then I'd pull the muffler and take a look at the piston. It is possible it just needs a carb kit. For your saw they are usually about $10.00 for the kit. It's really not rocket science to go through the carb. Take each side apart and lay it out the way it came off, spray the carb main body down with some brake-cleaner, gently blow out the cleaner (not too much compressed air, you may ruin your check valves in your carb). Put it all back together and gently seat your adjustment screws, and then turn them out 1 full turn and tune from there.

I looked over your design, and having been in fabrication for years it was still not clear to me what you are trying to accomplish. Are you simply trying to eliminate the stock stihl filter, or are you trying to modify your saw's intake capacity to race?
Eliminating the stock two piece filter. It seems to let dust through the seam.

I suppose a brass pipe elbow might be a good starting point.

Last edited:
Then just get a new filter, or seal the seam up with some epoxy or some sort of goop.

Unless your cutting in a sand pit a few little bits of fine sawdust are no worry. Just look at the old saws, they ran years and many are still going, most had very crude filters. Often the filters were nothing more effective than window screen.

If you use a 260 filter on an older 026 with non-intelicarb, the hole in the back of the filter needs to be plugged or else use the top cover from a 260 carb with the passage to the filter.

Setting up a 026 with a 260 filter is likely the best bolt on upgrade for a 026. The only catch is the tank vent, some 026's had a tall breather which blocks the wider 260 filter. The 026 rear cover does not stay on well if a 260 filter is used, but a 260 rear cover fixes the problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back