Synthetic 2-stroke oils??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have always ran stihl 2 stroke oil at 50:1 in my stihls, (046, 066's, 084, etc.) but am considering a synthetic oil after a seen some stihl synthetic. i did a search and seems like alot of you guys like mobile??? is this the best, and if so what is the best mix ratio? if this isn't the best what do you'll have the most luck with? any help would be great.

Last edited:
I reckon the Stihl synthetic is fine. But Mobil is as good as it gets....I run modded saws and run them hard, and see no reason to take any chance at all, so mix it at 36-1. I've never run 50-1 and never will...used to be 40 or 45-1 till I started frequenting AS and hobnobbing with saw builders and racers.

That said, a good mix at 50-1 is far less likely to cause problems that running a saw too lean...or overrevving a saw without dogging it in..i.e., leaning on it a bit...or worse, riunning a dull chain.

I reckon the Stihl synthetic is fine. But Mobil is as good as it gets....I run modded saws and run them hard, and see no reason to take any chance at all, so mix it at 36-1. I've never run 50-1 and never will...used to be 40 or 45-1 till I started frequenting AS and hobnobbing with saw builders and racers.

That said, a good mix at 50-1 is far less likely to cause problems that running a saw too lean...or overrevving a saw without dogging it in..i.e., leaning on it a bit...or worse, riunning a dull chain.

rbtree, which autozone do you buy mobil at? I went to one, and they don't carry it. I am still meaning to try 2t or Stihl ultra, although I like the price of the Mobil.

Did you just look for the Mobil at the Auto Zone, or did you ask them for it?

For some reason my local Auto Zone had the stuff squirrelled away up on the top shelf sitting sideways where the label wasn't visible.

Chuck

I looked hard first at where it should be, then I asked the clerk who said they didn't carry it at that store. He said he didn't know what stores had it and didn't. I guess I could go to a bike shop, but their price would take some of the fun out of it.

is there a certain type of mobil oil that is better than another. kinda leary of trying something new due to the fact that ive had good luck with 50:1 regular stihl 2 stroke oil. does anyone run the mobil @ 50:1, or is it best to run it richer? is the mobil competetively priced with stihl oil?

I looked hard first at where it should be, then I asked the clerk who said they didn't carry it at that store. He said he didn't know what stores had it and didn't. I guess I could go to a bike shop, but their price would take some of the fun out of it.

Hey Bill.. We now carry the the Stihl Ultra in 2 gal mix size..

is there a certain type of mobil oil that is better than another. kinda leary of trying something new due to the fact that ive had good luck with 50:1 regular stihl 2 stroke oil. does anyone run the mobil @ 50:1, or is it best to run it richer?

If you are happy with 50:1 on regular oil, there is absolutly no reason to change to a heavier mix when you go to synthetic.. it is a much better oil..

Mobil 2R will burn cleaner at 20:1 than Stihl Orange bottle at 50:1....I like the extra insurance.
I have been giving the new Stihl Syn oil a try and have nothing to say bad so far, but I havent used enough to form a opinion.

Hey Bill.. We now carry the the Stihl Ultra in 2 gal mix size..

Andy, I have been meaning to get out that way and pick up a few things, including a bucket of the bio oil. I'll get some ultra while I'm there and give it a go.

To those that ask why run synthetic when Stihl dino has performed flawlessly for me for many years, my own reason is to see if it is less stinky as some have reported.

If I remember, I'll bring one of the turned but unfinished from the MI oak we cut. I think I got 4 or 5 big ones, and I think they will be pretty darn cool when done.

Post a pic of the orginal wood and the finished bowl.. I'd sure like to see it...

let me know what you want (pm) and I'll drag it home.

Post a pic of the orginal wood and the finished bowl.. I'd sure like to see it...

let me know what you want (pm) and I'll drag it home.

I'll do both of those. I think seeing the bowls in this intermediate stage might be interesting to you as a woodworker.

My plan on those bowls based on previous experience and R&D is to glass bead them, bleach the bajeepers out of them, and then sand back the bleached surface to show the grain pattern. On some pin oaks that can be very dramatic.

Here's a pic of a bowl from an earlier tree that was one of my favorites from last year. http://www.billluce.com/bigimages/oak_5537_cropped.jpg

Hmmmm....where is that bwalker at? he needs to get in on this thread. LOL
Just messin' with ya....I run mobil mx2t..ever since I heard everyone arguing on here about 2-3 years ago about which oil is best...never a problem.
Walker knows all about it, and I believe what I read from him on his posts.
MOBIL 2 stroke IS in the top tier of 2 stroke oils. I suppose there is others just as good, but the red color is soo frikin' cool!

Q) If I ran out of mobil mx, and all I had laying around was a bottle of amzoil sabre(would run it 50:1), wouldn't that be the best substitute since they share the same BASE OILS? Or do the individual aditives of each oil contradict? OK ok.. I gots a bottle of sabre and want to use it up but have always...always used mobil. I get kinda wierd about changing mix oils..if i loan a saw out..it comes w/ a fresh gal of fuel/mix....no exceptions!

Just a question, if I may?

What makes Stihl's new Ultimate, or Mobil's 2t any better then Echo's cheep stuff?

This is a serious question, as I gave up trying to get Auto-Zone to stock Mobil, and my Stihl dealer only has the mini-bottles of Ultimate oil. Home Depot always seems to have a shelf full of Echo's Power Blend.

Just my take, Echo offers a 5 year warranty on there engines, that alone seems a crap-shoot , there oil must work. Power - Blend is as cheep as it gets and comes in those handy "squeeze-a-snort" (50 : 1 - 32 : 1 ) upper- lower bottles. Power Blend oil Exceeds ISO-L-EGD and JASO M345/FC requirements , and contains a fuel stabilizer, there claim doubles fuel life?

Granted I have not been running it for years as I have orange bottle Stihl oil at 50 : 1 , but have ran several gallons of Power - Blend at 32 - 40 : 1 and see no ill-effects yet.

Should I continue my search for Mobil, pay the extra coin for the new Stihl oil ?*

*I had always learned a lot from the members here, and respect the opinions of most!

Just a question, if I may?

What makes Stihl's new Ultimate, or Mobil's 2t any better then Echo's cheep stuff?

This is a serious question, as I gave up trying to get Auto-Zone to stock Mobil, and my Stihl dealer only has the mini-bottles of Ultimate oil. Home Depot always seems to have a shelf full of Echo's Power Blend.

Just my take, Echo offers a 5 year warranty on there engines, that alone seems a crap-shoot , there oil must work. Power - Blend is as cheep as it gets and comes in those handy "squeeze-a-snort" (50 : 1 - 32 : 1 ) upper- lower bottles. Power Blend oil Exceeds ISO-L-EGD and JASO M345/FC requirements , and contains a fuel stabilizer, there claim doubles fuel life?

Granted I have not been running it for years as I have orange bottle Stihl oil at 50 : 1 , but have ran several gallons of Power - Blend at 32 - 40 : 1 and see no ill-effects yet.

Should I continue my search for Mobil, pay the extra coin for the new Stihl oil ?*

*I had always learned a lot from the members here, and respect the opinions of most!

Hopefully, BW and other's will chime in. For normal chainsaw use, I would think your choice of powerblend (aka Citgo sea and snow with fuel stabilizer) is a great choice and economical to boot!:popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:
I'm glad the topic includes Stihl synthetics because as a dedicated synthetic user I was about to go into withdrawal because my last gallon of REDLINE is about gone and without any retail outlets close I decided to give Stihl Synthetic oil a shot this time. I hope it lives up to my expectations for $2.65 per gallon (50:1) container. I will mix at .8 gallon for 40:1 and use where 32,40,50:1 is called for.

Thanks!

Back