046 to 044 parts swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrencher1547

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows if the cylinder from an 046 will bolt on the 044 crankcase, also if the pistons are interchangeable.

I have also been trying to find out how much you can deck the cylinder on a 044 (12mm wristpin).

Any info helps.

I have read that a few "adjustments" are required to put the aftermarket BB460 top end on a 044. I'm not sure if anyone has tried a oem Stihl 046 on a 044.

The 046's piston is 52mm, 044 is 50mm.

corrected

If you want close to the power of a 046 out of your 044, just get a DP cover...

Last edited:
Have Built two,,,,

Search my post all the info is there,,,, tek9tim has one also

Both are kick ass saws,,,, I have one I ported with the Baileys aftermarket 046 kit,,, and an OEM one that Dean and I put together in the River's (RR2) PNW Great chainsaw adventure thread last spring,,,, It is my favorite saw,,, the 044/046 strokes are the same so it is just a matter of making the fit up changes to squeeze the 046 jug into the 044 chassis

Basically as Lakeside told ya,,,, gotta machine the sides of the 046 cylinder base to match the 12mm 044 crankcase,,,, {place the 44 & 46 cyls, together machined face to face,,, scribe a line on the overlap and remove material till the sides match} dont install your piston until all the cyl fittament mods are completed

Then slot the base mount holes @ 45* into the center of the bore (diagonally) an Old chainsaw file works well, dont remove any more material than you need to as the 044 cyl. base fastener is 5mm and slightly smaller spacing center to center and the 046 jug is sized for a 6mm. You can check that when doing the step above.

The Flywheel side cyl. transfer @ flywheel interface needs a "few" hundredths removed,,, (flat/half round bastard!!!!) to clear the backside outer edge of the flywheel or you can radius that edge on the flywheel a bit more either way works...

The 046 exhaust port flange is about .35-.40 in. longer so you will have to build some spacers to fill the gap @ the bottom muffler casing to crankcase fit area,,,when you are installing the muffler casing you will see what I mean You can use a 5/16 or 3/8 nut on each bolt hole or even stack washers if that's all you have

the front air dam on the top 044 shroud needs to be trimmed out,, 046 cyl fins are just a bit taller,,,, dremmel or an old carbide cutter will get er done,,, or trim the cylinder fins where they hit

2000ssM6,,,,, dont take offense,,,, installing sealer in lieu of a gasket does boost compression,,,, However,,,that does not constitute "Decking a cylinder" theres a little more to it than that,,,,

and if you choose to do so make sure you check your squish,,,

If ya need more info send me a PM

River

Last edited:
The exhaust port flange is about 35-40mm longer so you will have to build some spacers to fill the gap @ the bottom muffler casing to crankcase fit area,,,when you are installing the muffler casing you will see what I mean

Hmmmm.... That's one heck of a spacer... ;)

2000ssM6,,,,, dont take offense,,,, installing sealer in lieu of a gasket does boost compression,,,, However,,,that does not constitute "Decking a cylinder" theres a little more to it than that,,,,
River
Thanks for the correction. I just do muffler mods......hehe

Last edited:
Yup, I think riverrat covered it. All that machining he speaks of can be done with a die grinder, or as he alluded, with files. Mine runs like a champ. About the only issue I can think of is how much it'll walk idling on the ground, but that's to be expected. Favorite saw I've ever run, revs up really quick, solid torque, light as a feather.

Technical threads around here used to be surprisingly sane (2007 thread). Thanks to all the old members that made this place great!

Not to trudge this up again, but I just wanted to second the opinion that this is excellent info. I just picked up 2 044's. Ones a newer one that's mint and one is an old KS 10mm. I may have to trade the 10mm to get another "beat up" 12mm so I can do this... This mod will work with the 046 BB correct? not just the 52mm cylinder?

Latest posts

Back