066 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys got a quick question about the mighty 066. I am wanting to buy and start modding a 066 for a local saw competition, the 440 got beat this year by a Jonsered 2186 so this coming year the guy is not going to win. I am wanting to know which model is the best model to buy and how to tell which one is which. I hear about the "Red Eye" the "Magnum" which one is which and how do I tell, thanks again

Lots of good saw blokes around will jump on this.

Isn't there all types of categories so 44's arent racing against 120's, 88's or 66's etc?

yeah there should be but this is a just for fun event and it is cut with what you brought then we have a controlled event where we all use a MS260 to see who really has the technique

Maybe it is the Red-Eye, but if so make sure it is a Magnum version.

If not, it was rated at just 6.8 hp or so - the Magnum about one hp more as far as I know. I believe it was Lakeside who told me.

Last edited:
so if it says Magnum on the cover it is the 7.7 hp version, I cant really afford a brand new 660 so I must buy a good condition used unit. I do however plan to send it to a builder, thanks keep the info coming

StihlBoy440 said:
so if it says Magnum on the cover it is the 7.7 hp version...

Not without the dual port muffler on it. My 660 Mag, says "Magnum" on it, but without the dual port on it, it's hp is lower than 7.7.

Give the search feature a try if it's working. The different 066/660 models have been discussed, and Andy (Lakeside53) has laid it all out. ;)

Here my woods ported 066 that I just ran at Medina and took first in the big class in stock appearing, pump gas. I beat a Husky 3120, stock Husky 2100, Dolmar 9000 that was woods ported, and to many others to list.
I wouldnt even think about trying to run a 440 or 460 or the BB ones in the the class. The 0-80cc class was all Dolmar 7900's and my Makita 7901 in the top 5, anywhere from stock to woods ported like mine. I bogged it in all 3 cuts and pulled out 5th. That being said, to show how far behind the 440's and 460's were in the field. Happy with my first time doing the event. Good luck in your choices.
CopyofDSCF0073.jpg

Last edited:
Back