15 Bucks Per Gallon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having an unexpectedly high amount of ethanol can make a saw run lean, but if u'r tuned for pump gas, going to ethanol free would move it in a rich direction. My saws are tuned slightly rich, so if I got a batch with 15%, it'd would still be ok. Good point on the variability of pump gas

Exactly. The dealer is blowing smoke about the ethanol-free running lean-- the truth is just the opposite. People like that do us both a disservice. Since I can no longer trust what they tell me, there is a loss for both of us.

If the quantity needed for a correct air-fuel ratio is delivered to the engine, then I agree.

The problem with OPE is that the carb isnt designed to flow that much liquid, atomize it and mix with air. You need about 2 times the alcohol compared to gas ...... maybe the computer controlled carbs or fuel injection thats coming round will do a better job at maintaining the correct ratio, but can they minister enough liquid to maintain a slightly rich burn ?

Running e85 requires about 27% more fuel to maintain the same air/fuel ratio as 100% gasoline. I'm not suggesting running e85, but I bet most saw carbs could handle that increase. I'm way off my original point that the dealer is not being accurate when he states moving from etoh to gas is not safe, and we'll need the input of Dennis and the racers to see how they do it with the alky running race saws

$15 a gallon????
Do you guys have any idea how many fuel lines and carb kits you could buy with the money saved if you just use pump gas?
I've seen those cans on a few store shelves now, but thought they were just for idiots who couldn't mix gas and oil. :/

-Phillip

Check out racing fuels to get leaded fuel for chain saws :msp_smile:

I run some ECHO equipment and my dealer told me that I needed to run RED ARMOR mix, or ECHO would not honor their warranty. It is all because of the ethonol in the fuel. Seems to run very well in the ECHO things. Have not tried it in my saws - have several bottles of STIHL silver mix to use up before I switch.

Might be an alternative.

Hal

Was at the Stihl dealer today, pre mixed Non Ethanol fuel $77 Bucks plus tax for a five gallon can, that's a little over $15 per gallon.
The dealer was telling me that you have to retune your saw if your gonna run it, he said that your saw will run to lean and fry the P&C if you don't richen the carb up. He told me that they would tune all my saws if i bought a can. I Don't think they have any idea how many saws i have, They would be tuning for days.
At $15 bucks a gallon i would hope that it would give my saws two more HP. I know it does't have ethanol, but Are there some other benefits from using it that i'm missing?
I dunno, makes sense to me - it's Stihl. if they can get people to pay too much for their saws, why shouldn't it work for the fuel?

Ethanol has lower power than gasoline for a specific volume (not very dense) so you generally need to tune a saw richer when running ethanol. Another way to say that is it takes more ethanol to equal the power in a given amount of gas.

I did the ethylene glycol separation on some ethanol gas I had and had to tune my saw leaner (it was running rich without ethanol). I later switched to a mix of 4 parts 89 non-ethanol and 1 part 110 leaded and the non-ethanol jetting was good for that too.

I'm not sure what's in tru-fuel

Remember, you pay for gas by the gallon, using less dense fuels gives lower fuel economy.

You are getting double-hosed by paying more for fuel that is less dense.

It's a gimmic, and this fuel is everywhere now because it's so darn profitable!

It's a gimmic, and this fuel is everywhere now because it's so darn profitable!
It's not more profitable, it's just a way for tax money to be siphoned off to well connected people with large stakes in big ag. Absent subsidies it evaporates faster then gasoline on hot asphalt.

It's not more profitable, it's just a way for tax money to be siphoned off to well connected people with large stakes in big ag. Absent subsidies it evaporates faster then gasoline on hot asphalt.

I guess not more profitable to Exxon, but profitable to anyone who serves our industry and pedals that fuel. I don't know if you need a subsidy on a 7/ quart (last I checked that was $28 per gallon) fuel.

I guess not more profitable to Exxon, but profitable to anyone who serves our industry and pedals that fuel. I don't know if you need a subsidy on a 7/ quart (last I checked that was $28 per gallon) fuel.
Sorry, I totally misread your first comment and thought you were talking about ethanol - I agree with you!

Well, I dislike the corn liquor fuel as much as anyone, but I know the actual per gallon subsidy expired last year. Now the mandate to put it in gas remains, but not the I think it was 50 cent a gallon subsidy.

I run the 441C and FS250 on motomix, only because I don't use them much. The 500 gets trufuel, the Quake gets last years old mix.

The 250 was run on ethanol mix before the trufuel came out, but the lines are fine. Did drain it though.

I've ran the quake on trufuel and couldn't tell much difference, haven't had to retune between the two, but I run it a little rich anyways.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is a little off topic but what about 100LL AV gas? Its about $6 a gallon and Ethanol free. Plus wont the lead help with Lubricating? I know my dads 55 Runs very hot with 93 in it. While my 575 runs fine with it. Any ideas why? Thanks.

Well, I dislike the corn liquor fuel as much as anyone, but I know the actual per gallon subsidy expired last year. Now the mandate to put it in gas remains, but not the I think it was 50 cent a gallon subsidy.
And the plants are closing and I have read they are not producing enough to meet the mandate!

Latest posts

Back