30$ per hour to expensive for husqvarna dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It dont take an hour to rebuild a carb.
If only counting the rebuilding. There is other things involved if your repairing that saw. Cleaning of the carburetor air box, inspection and field testing add to the time involved. Now if someone just brings in the carburetor for a rebuild then it takes less time as there is less to do provided they haven't done anything to it.

If only counting the rebuilding. There is other things involved if your repairing that saw. Cleaning of the carburetor air box, inspection and field testing add to the time involved. Now if someone just brings in the carburetor for a rebuild then it takes less time as there is less to do provided they haven't done anything to it.
True.

While I understand "rebuild" is what everyone everywhere uses to describe removing 8 short screws and changing a couple gaskets and diaphragms, it really just seems like word overkill for saw carbs. It's not typical to even change needles, Welch plugs, or even metering lever and spring. Even if you do all those things it's a quick job.

It does impress people who know nothing about saws that you "rebuilt the entire carb in 40 mins". Yes, a competent person can spend more time cleaning and testing...

It dont take an hour to rebuild a carb.

Its pretty close to an hour, 5 mins to take it off the saw 5 mins to take it apart, 35 mins in the ultrasonic cleaner, 5 mins to put it together 5 back on the saw pressure test the carb... you get close to than hour mark. Not to mention the cleaning of the saw while you are taking it apart and checking the saw out. I have been asked more than a few tomes to rebuild a carb by a customer only to find out a fuel line is rotted. Any shop worth its salt will adjust the pricing to make it worth while for a customer. I can not charge an hours labor for a saw that sells for 99.99 :D

I guess I'll put useful advice regarding carb rebuilding to make this thread maybe for reals useful to someone:

When buying repair kits for carbs, don't necesserily buy the OEM part number.

For example, a 346xp gasket and diaphragm kit Husqvarna OEM part 537380301 is $14.

But buying the actual Zama part, GND-65, is $5. Or the whole rebuild kit rb-122 for $10.

I've found this to always be the case with Husqvarna. I'm sure plenty of you know this, but someone might not.

I can not charge an hours labor for a saw that sells for 99.99 :D
I can. If the saw is $100 new, you shouldn't be bringing that into a dealership. They cost a $100 for a reason. Buy another. Shop time and resources are just that regardless of how cheap the equipment is.

While I understand "rebuild" is what everyone everywhere uses to describe removing 8 short screws and changing a couple gaskets and diaphragms, it really just seems like word overkill for saw carbs. It's not typical to even change needles, Welch plugs, or even metering lever and spring. Even if you do all those things it's a quick job.

It does impress people who know nothing about saws that you "rebuilt the entire carb in 40 mins". Yes, a competent person can spend more time cleaning and testing...

My abbreviated post is what I am sure most of us do. ( maybe not the ultrasonic cleaner )
I can. If the saw is $100 new, you shouldn't be bringing that into a dealership. They cost a $100 for a reason. Buy another. Shop time and resources are just that regardless of how cheap the equipment is.

You are correct but we are there to service the customer. The Point being that in those cases we charge much much less for service. Once the customer comes through the door there is no way of telling what they will buy from the showroom. I can not tell you how many times someone comes in with a Homelite, Echo, Poulan and just buys a new piece of equipment. It is all about customer service.

This has to be a joke.

That is what I thought. No one in my area charges less than $50. and I think the $85. is closer to what is charged around here. That is every one except me. I am lucky if my rate averages $10. That is why I have most of my business. Tom

Latest posts

Back