30's to 40's CC saw for bucking and small stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahsteve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So i rebuilding an old Olympyk 234 (34 CC's)... While i'm waiting for parts etc. I was wondering what stihl would be comparable. I may pick one up if this olympyk becomes a pain in the A$$. looked at the 211 the 250 the 171 and 181. Any thoughts?
i would use the saw to cut fire wood and mostly buck trees i've taken down. i have a 290 that does any bigger stuff but want ( dare i say need) something smaller.

So i rebuilding an old Olympyk 234 (34 CC's)... While i'm waiting for parts etc. I was wondering what stihl would be comparable. I may pick one up if this olympyk becomes a pain in the A$$. looked at the 211 the 250 the 171 and 181. Any thoughts?
i would use the saw to cut fire wood and mostly buck trees i've taken down. i have a 290 that does any bigger stuff but want ( dare i say need) something smaller.

There's a white top 44 Husky on ebay ( like new) that is the best small saw ever made IMHO. Fantastic saw!

So i rebuilding an old Olympyk 234 (34 CC's)... While i'm waiting for parts etc. I was wondering what stihl would be comparable. I may pick one up if this olympyk becomes a pain in the A$$. looked at the 211 the 250 the 171 and 181. Any thoughts? i would use the saw to cut fire wood and mostly buck trees i've taken down. i have a 290 that does any bigger stuff but want ( dare i say need) something smaller.

Hi Steve:

Here's my personal experience. All I had and used for 10 years was a little Stihl MS170 (14" bar) which I bought new in 2002 for $149. This little sucker has cut over 50 cords of firewood. Cut quite a few 25" + trees. But most of the trees I harvest are 10" to 14". It's done everything I've ever ask of it, and then some. I've taken it way beyond its intended use with no problems. It's light, maneuverable, reliable as dirt, and a pure pleasure to use. They're around $180 new these days. Having said this, no matter which new saw you buy these days, regardless of brand and model, it's gonna be a pretty darn nice saw. The field is wide open. You really can't go wrong.

Don <><

attachment.php

If you are handy and willing to delve deeper into saws, you could probably pick up a small homeowner saw (or a pile of them) for not many bucks. Many of these "throw away" saws are fine for the kind of cutting you intend and if maintained would last for years. These saws are purchased to solve a problem, do that fine and then are relegated to a corner of the shed where they sit for years, get pulled out for solving another problem and just won't start after being there 11 years. Piece of junk gets tossed or sold for scrap value. Treat a new pro saw the same way and you'll get the same results. So find one of these "unused saws" and replace the fuel lines, clean out the carb and maybe put a carb rebuild kit in it. The rope may need replacing because it got pulled 759 times by the previous owner. Then you are good to go. Oh, and thoroughly clean the saw. The saw will be dirty from sitting in the corner but it also needs to be cleansed from all the nasty language it was subjected to while the owner was wearing out the rope.

You can find one of these saws with all the paint still on the bar. The chain will be dull and it likely will be in a case. $25 will buy one most of the time (or less) and then for another 20 bucks investment you have a saw that will last a long time. And if it breaks, repeat.

Here is where i'm torn... I'm just starting out on really rebuilding saws. At this point it seems to me that i get it basically and will be fine in the future keeping the saws up and running. I have however thought maybe if i buy a new one then well i tune it and do all the work on it and it'll last forever. If the olympyk gets up and running (waiting for a carb kit). then i probably will just look for those "used/unused throw aways" and fix em up... I think starting with the olympyk has been a challenge as parts and what not are hard to come by. Maybe i should have started with the old homelite xl2's or something but we'll see...
appreciate the advice so far.

Here is where i'm torn... I'm just starting out on really rebuilding saws. At this point it seems to me that i get it basically and will be fine in the future keeping the saws up and running. I have however thought maybe if i buy a new one then well i tune it and do all the work on it and it'll last forever. If the olympyk gets up and running (waiting for a carb kit). then i probably will just look for those "used/unused throw aways" and fix em up... I think starting with the olympyk has been a challenge as parts and what not are hard to come by. Maybe i should have started with the old homelite xl2's or something but we'll see...

I would pick up a dolmar 420, they can be had for less that 200$ new IIRC. I want one and defiantly don't need it but none the less its still on my list to get.

What was said up above. Tons of newer homeowner grade small saws out there for wicked cheap. frequently, all they need is a fuel line and filter, dump out the old gunk, clean the carb (new enough no kit is needed, just a good cleaning out), put some fresh mix, good to go. Try any saw shop in your area, they'll have most likely customer no pickups, a lot of them. The tech will have analyzed what was wrong, they give a quote for labor at 50 bucks an hour or something like that, the homeowner says no way, so it sits there. Grab 'em for ten bucks, heck, they might give you some to get them outta the shop, do the cleaning and lines, you now have a running saw that cost 150-200 new, that works just fine. Just stay away from the ones with roached pistons and you'll be cool.

I don't know if your budget would allow, but the MS200 rear handle saw sure is nice.

I don't know if your budget would allow, but the MS200 rear handle saw sure is nice.

I'll second that. It really is a nice little saw since its the MS200T everyone raves about just with a rear handle. Better air filter on it as well.

I'd also recommend a look at the Dolmar 420 which is another good one, though I don't think its as inexpensive new as the $200 someone mentioned above.

I was researching this class of saw earlier this year and the MS200 is the unquestioned leader, but too rich for my occasional trail and limbing use. I went with a Husky 435 refurb $142, 41cc and their lightest occasional use rear handle saw. Here's a link to the refurb: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191023.htm

You'll need to add $7 if you need to tune it, requires a special splined socket driver.

Last Monday I took the 435 out for some trail clearing work, had to carry it 3/4-mile to this deadfall.

Before.jpg

Forty-five minutes later:

After.jpg

Most of that time was spent pitching limbs and rocks.

You can see from the photos, suitable for bucking and limbing.

Good luck on your quest.

Get yourself a Echo CS400, muff modd and tune it and you won't even use your 290 anymore as they are real close in cutting speed. The CS400 is 13# and your 290 17-3/4# ready to cut. The ms 171 would be 1/2 pound lighter with no where near the cutting speed. Steve

If you want to repair saws, then repair saws. I don't know why you would want to spend the money on an 'occasional use' saw. If I could fix saws, guess which of my 3 I would own and which 2 I would never have bought? All due respect to new saws but they are for some people like me that are clueless.

I liken it computers. Give me a pile of throwaways and I guarantee I can make a kick azz PC by dinner. Guarantee. There is a ZERO chance I would spend the money on anything new (most are crap, anyway) because I can build something world class fast that will last way longer for the same price or usually less.

Learn to fish...

If you want to repair saws, then repair saws. I don't know why you would want to spend the money on an 'occasional use' saw. If I could fix saws, guess which of my 3 I would own and which 2 I would never have bought? All due respect to new saws but they are for some people like me that are clueless.

I liken it computers. Give me a pile of throwaways and I guarantee I can make a kick azz PC by dinner. Guarantee. There is a ZERO chance I would spend the money on anything new (most are crap, anyway) because I can build something world class fast that will last way longer for the same price or usually less.

Learn to fish...
i think you nailed it... I will probably grab a older "needs carb cleaned" type saw then a new one. I'm just hope i can get the olympyk running. If that happens then i'll have the confidence to grab a oldie but goodie and keep it maintained.

Definetly looking at more rearhandled than top. Feels more comfortable and true to my likings. appreciate the help. If anyone sees something feel free to mention it...

So a husky 435 refurb? hmm...:bringit:

HMMM I thought a 250 was smaller than a 290

forgot to mention i stopped by local Stihl dealer today and checked out the 250, 211 and 171.
171 seems to small
211 think its about right.
250 smaller yes but to close to 290 IMO...

Think its time to fish... any thoughts on a stihl 015 009 or husky 235?

Last edited:
I would seriously consider the Dolmar 420. I Had to go to a shop today for some briggs and stratton parts and they are also a dolmar dealer. I saw the 420 sitting there on the shelf all shiny and new and figured I would check it out and see what all the fuss is about. Picked it up and WOW that thing is light! Almost wish I wouldn't of bought a new Stihl MS290 just last month. Was really REALLY hard to fight the CAD but I managed to do so. Anyways Those Dolmars are very light balance well in the hand and from what I hear have amazing torque for the size. And a good price.

Latest posts

Back