390xp versus 395xp in depth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are sumthin else!!! after i used the 372 i knew i needed the 395xp for the mill- stihl dealer refused to sell me 661 and warranty it, sumthin about running lean in a mill application- said he wouldnt let me do it with no less than the 880 which is quite a bit more expensive than the 395xp- i think its 1,949.95 32" 404 https://westenbroekmower.stihldeale...587.280230836.1544504376-165658930.1543342321 i know the stihl dealer saved me a headache and i am truly stoked to set my mill up:dancing: and yes if i could afford the 3120... but i don't know about using it away from the mill... i would have to go back up to linebacker weight to wield such an instrument! :muscle:we think you made a good choice and i am told on the alaskan mill get the outboard oiler and everyone will be happy- 395xp lovers salute you :chainsaw:

5B0B5E96-F5ED-4756-9470-20938CEE5B44.jpeg Well so much has happened since I made this post.

The 395xp is well broken in now, found a massive log to take the full 36” bar and broke it in with around 10 tanks over a couple weeks.
I can say that once this saw broke in throttle response and overall power was like it suddenly became super charged :)

But then life got in the way of milling...
I am a commercial plumber and it had been some time since I did anything with the apprenticeship board. They came knocking at the office and threatened to kick me out if I didn’t either goto school or challenge my next year test again. So I went and booked my second year test and started to get ready for it. Studying and finishing my garage for winter, re wired the house for Ethernet and cat 5, finished and drywalled an office for the wife. Oh yes got married mid October, finished a guest room upstairs all got in the way... lol a lot of stuff has happened.
Passed the exam last week on Tuesday, was very happy so now since there are no projects or school things in the way, I can get back to milling in which I never really started.
My neighbor bought my old treadmill for a wopping 500$ and considering a got it for free this money was to be used for a saw mill. Picked up the granberg and I am now just about ready to get going. All that’s left is a 10’ extension ladder as a guide and the first thing I’m going to make is a nice solid bench for my garage to work on saws and the like.
Hopefully the weekend after this one I can get out and really push this saw to goto work for me

View attachment 689613 Well so much has happened since I made this post.

The 395xp is well broken in now, found a massive log to take the full 36” bar and broke it in with around 10 tanks over a couple weeks.
I can say that once this saw broke in throttle response and overall power was like it suddenly became super charged :)

But then life got in the way of milling...
I am a commercial plumber and it had been some time since I did anything with the apprenticeship board. They came knocking at the office and threatened to kick me out if I didn’t either goto school or challenge my next year test again. So I went and booked my second year test and started to get ready for it. Studying and finishing my garage for winter, re wired the house for Ethernet and cat 5, finished and drywalled an office for the wife. Oh yes got married mid October, finished a guest room upstairs all got in the way... lol a lot of stuff has happened.
Passed the exam last week on Tuesday, was very happy so now since there are no projects or school things in the way, I can get back to milling in which I never really started.
My neighbor bought my old treadmill for a wopping 500$ and considering a got it for free this money was to be used for a saw mill. Picked up the granberg and I am now just about ready to get going. All that’s left is a 10’ extension ladder as a guide and the first thing I’m going to make is a nice solid bench for my garage to work on saws and the like.
Hopefully the weekend after this one I can get out and really push this saw to goto work for me
a busy busy man you are! we like that view of that saw and Mill :) and btw what size mill/bar are you running? aloha #BeKind -td

a busy busy man you are! we like that view of that saw and Mill :) and btw what size mill/bar are you running? aloha #BeKind -td

36” bar with a 36” mill no point in going bigger or smaller with that saw imo. Well gotta work Friday so no milling in the bush, however my buddy has a 1’X6’ log in his pile I can try this stuff out on. I can’t freaken wait!

Funny that piece of finished plywood was an attempt to find an off the shelf plained guide for my beam machine. Didn’t work out even the finished plywood has bumps and crap.
Friends here at work have a plainer in the basement they offered to plain a 2x6 for me, so on my day off I’ll be able to make my first accurate cut with the beam machine then throw the mkiv on right after.
372 does the beam machine and the 395 does the major milling, and the 550 is for branch and stem processing after the fell

Latest posts

Back