462 with a 36" for cedar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donb011

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be dropping some cedar trees soon. Right now my largest bar is a 28". Most of them I can get with the 28" but a few will need something bigger. Do you think the 462 can handle a 36" for a couple of cuts. Pic is the 462 with a 20" on it. This tree isn't getting by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_201128199.jpg
    IMG_20210706_201128199.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
I've run 32" bar on my 462 in white oak, and it wasn't exactly ideal, but it pulled it OK.

I would say as long as you don't have any trees where you are going to need to eat wood really fast, it will do fine on a 36 for a few cuts.

I agree.
I'm also curious about the saw in your avatar pic... Presumably muffler was done to quieten it down? How well did it work? Cheers
That's a muffler that can be tuned to increase scavenging of the cylinder...sound is not their primary goal, power is. Because of their bulk, they're generally only used on race saws.

I will definitely be running a skip chain. I've had saws with 36" bars in the past and skip is all I ever ran. In for and cedar they just cut better in my opinion.

I will definitely be running a skip chain. I've had saws with 36" bars in the past and skip is all I ever ran. In for and cedar they just cut better in my opinion.

Will it do it maybe with skip, personally with how I grind chains and running full comp I prefer the 500i or a 390 husky. All that said a 32 is where I draw the line on my 462 it’s a great little limbing/bucking saw in my eyes and even then I’m running semi skip it’s not quite a 372 replacement it’s more even with a 562 in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do most places even offer full-comp chains in that length? I've only seen one 36 inch non-skip chain, and that was an Archer chipper chain.

Oh yeah and it’s pretty common with timber fallers to run full comp chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do most places even offer full-comp chains in that length? I've only seen one 36 inch non-skip chain, and that was an Archer chipper chain.

If I was to walk in to any of my local saw shops and ask for a 36"loop of skip tooth 3/8th chisel- I would get returned a look like I had two heads!
It was that uncommon here that most people had never seen a loop of skip, let alone a roll of it. Getting better now, thanks to the internet, people reading about small saws with big bars and the uptake of backyard chainsaw milling, but it is still far from common over here in our wee Island nation.

If I was to walk in to any of my local saw shops and ask for a 36"loop of skip tooth 3/8th chisel- I would get returned a look like I had two heads!
It was that uncommon here that most people had never seen a loop of skip, let alone a roll of it. Getting better now, thanks to the internet, people reading about small saws with big bars and the uptake of backyard chainsaw milling, but it is still far from common over here in our wee Island nation.
Pfft, like you guys can actually drop trees while you’re hangin upside down.

Latest posts

Back