562XP Project - Who Likes Puzzles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[emoji106] Exactly what I meant buy doing this for fun and learning more than anything else. If this was a Stihl you would have been upside down in cost with oem parts, Husqvarna parts are far less expensive.

In the end you now know these saws inside out for the most part, so I would look at it positively for the learning experience. But from a practical standpoint it's almost never monetarily or time wise worth rebuilding a modern saw that is this far gone. Again practicality is not the point for us saw nerds. My concern is the carburetors, unfortunately that may end up being a headache and some more $ cross our fingers.[emoji4]

But yeah if you know the right place, a new 562 can be had for about $650-$700 and that still has a warranty for whatever that's worth.

This has been a really nice build thread so far, can't wait to see these saws up and running.[emoji869]

Merry Christmas everyone.[emoji268]
True, that building 2 wasnt the biggest cost savings, but if I sell 1, then I will be in about $100 - $200 on the second saw, which would be a great deal for a good running 562. The problem I will have is letting go of the second saw.

But this ordeal won't discourage me from doing this again. I could never justify the cost of these new saws, especially since I dont cut wood for a living. I just may be a little less excited about a box of saws. Straight gassed saw projects are the way to go.

With that said, It has been a much better way to spend my time then sitting my butt in front of the tv, which is what I do when I dont have any projects to work on.

And as I mentioned before, I have looking everywhere for a pro grade Husqvarna, and they never go for sale around here. Now I have 2. :muscle:

But thinking about it, If I just went into this to build one saw, and I had $250 or so into it, it wouldn't bother me so much. It's just the initial sticker shock of double that, but for two saws.

My original intention when buying the box of parts was to make two saws into one, which I could've done very cheap, but I saw there were enough parts for nearly 2 complete saws and got greedy, started buying new parts, etc.

It's still much cheaper than buying 2 new saws.

True, that building 2 wasnt the biggest cost savings, but if I sell 1, then I will be in about $100 - $200 on the second saw, which would be a great deal for a good running 562. The problem I will have is letting go of the second saw.

But this ordeal won't discourage me from doing this again. I could never justify the cost of these new saws, especially since I dont cut wood for a living. I just may be a little less excited about a box of saws. Straight gassed saw projects are the way to go.

With that said, It has been a much better way to spend my time then sitting my butt in front of the tv, which is what I do when I dont have any projects to work on.

And as I mentioned before, I have looking everywhere for a pro grade Husqvarna, and they never go for sale around here. Now I have 2. :muscle:

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't justify spending the kind of money it takes to buy a new saw.

So I buy blown up pro saws and build them.

5 series saws are probably the most expensive to build thats for sure, but they are also worth the most running.

2 and 3 series saws can be very cheap to build so maybe thats the direction you can go in the future.

And as for stihls like mentioned earlier in this thread, stihl parts are very expensive and more often then not its not economical to rebuild a stihl with any oem parts as they cost too darn much..

Well I got two deliveries today, but still missing the two smallest parts keeping me from assembling one of these saws.

I received the gaskets sets, the piston, rings, air filter, and one crankcase seal, and used clutch, but the other one, which I need, wasnt in the shipment.
20191223_130529.jpg

I wound up getting two gasket sets because I thought I was going to reuse both crankcases, but wound up buying a new one. I will save it for the next build someday.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that I got two gasket kits from Husqvarna with the same part numbers, and one was made in Sweden, and one was made in China.
20191223_124107.jpg

I could've saved money here, and my excitement got the best of me, so I wound up with two gasket sets and a third cylinder gasket. So for those keeping tab, I could've saved about $30 here.

Well question for you experts, when cleaning up the second saws cylinder, I noticed a chip ar the bottom of the exhaust port.
20191223_143024.jpg

Is this something I should be concerned with? It's on the bottom of the port, so hopefully it doesnt effect port timing or compression.

The second saw cylinder also has a little scoring above the ports. Its not enough to catch my nail on, but I can feel it. I'm afraid to do anymore cleaning up on this cylinder with that chip.

So I may just run it as is.

Thats my 562xp with a scored cylinder, meteor piston and a muffler mod after 1 tank of fuel. No lack of power.

I was going to buy a new top end and my buddy said "clean up the transfer, smooth the ports a bit and run it"

So i did, that was a year and gallons upon gallons of fuel ago. Ive put more hours on my 562 this year then any saw I own, its just a damn good saw.

I'm glad I listened to him.

Thats my 562xp with a scored cylinder, meteor piston and a muffler mod after 1 tank of fuel. No lack of power.

I was going to buy a new top end and my buddy said "clean up the transfer, smooth the ports a bit and run it"

So i did, that was a year and gallons upon gallons of fuel ago. Ive put more hours on my 562 this year then any saw I own, its just a damn good saw.

I'm glad I listened to him.

Well that's good to know. I'm excited about getting mine in some wood. Hopefully by the new year my needle bearing will show up.

Saved a few more bucks a little while ago. I was able to clean the air filter really well, and they looked beyond usable.
Before:
20191223_144001.jpg
After:
20191223_144009.jpg

I have a new filter for the first saw, but a cleaned up one will be fine for the second saw, and these filters are not cheap.

I have another question. In my box of parts, I received one clutch, and I ordered a second one.

They are completely different, except the threads and diameters are the same. I plan on using the two piece clutch in the second saw, and the three piece on the first saw. I'm guessing that one just has a little more holding power?

20191223_173840.jpg

Any problems with trying it out?

Try that clutch, If it works you saved money, if it doesn't work you learned something. Win win

The top one is correct btw.

Experimenting is the fun part of the hobby

I have another question. In my box of parts, I received one clutch, and I ordered a second one.

They are completely different, except the threads and diameters are the same. I plan on using the two piece clutch in the second saw, and the three piece on the first saw. I'm guessing that one just has a little more holding power?

View attachment 782442

Any problems with trying it out?
Three shoe is the correct one.

Latest posts

Back