70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colony varmints are a different deal. 500 rounds in a single day is not uncommon. Much more shooting than geounhogs and I shot tons of those in my youth.. Bring 3-4 guns and rotate as barrel heat up. Clean with ammonia based cleaner as needed.
No , no Colony Varmint shooting . Just sufficient shooting to eradicate the nuisance rodents !

Colony varmints are a different deal. 500 rounds in a single day is not uncommon. Much more shooting than geounhogs and I shot tons of those in my youth.. Bring 3-4 guns and rotate as barrel heat up. Clean with ammonia based cleaner as needed.
Wow that sounds exciting holy smokes! I couldn't even imagine 500 rds through my 10/22 in a day lol

Wow that sounds exciting holy smokes! I couldn't even imagine 500 rds through my 10/22 in a day lol
That is really easy to do when you stand up a few hundred shotgun shells and compete with another guy to see who can get to the middle first without leaving a single shotgun shell standing. We used to blow off a brick or two a day just playing around like this.

That is really easy to do when you stand up a few hundred shotgun shells and compete with another guy to see who can get to the middle first without leaving a single shotgun shell standing. We used to blow off a brick or two a day just playing around like this.
Ever go to a 3 gun shoot? Tons of fun. Before I had kids I was doing them pretty frequently. Practice days 500 rounds would fly by like nothing. I'm looking forward to them getting older and being able to take it up again.

Ever go to a 3 gun shoot? Tons of fun. Before I had kids I was doing them pretty frequently. Practice days 500 rounds would fly by like nothing. I'm looking forward to them getting older and being able to take it up again.
No, never did that. We used to play in an abandoned sand pit shooting clays and plinking. Later on I joined a local club. I worked 3rd shift at that time. I would go there during the day with 5 - 10 toys and target shoot with high powered toys. I always had the range to myself. Everytime I was there I would get a visit by the local PD because some neighbor complained about all of the shooting going on. LOL. I would always ask them if they wanted to fire off a few rounds. They never did. This was a common thing for me to do and downrange would go anywhere from 100 - 400 rounds. I always wore a padded shirt and heavy winter gloves under that for padding. Then surplus ammo prices went up and I stopped going. It was a lot of fun.

I did a CMP range shoot one time and scored really well there using a M1 Garand. I needed to qualify in order to buy one from the CMP. I had never fired one of these until that day. In the rock and roll sitting position I scored an 89 with 20 rounds. If not for having 2 very young kids back then I would have joined the rifle team there. I had scored the highest out of the group that had shot that day. I had a blast that day and still kicking myself for not taking that opportunity. I was a really good shot back then.

You have no idea what it's like to shoot prairie dogs. I've shot up 500 rounds in a day. It's easier to clean the barrel on a bolt action, vs the barrel, BCG, reciever, locking lugs etc on a AR. This applies to a direct impingement guns. The gas piston guns are even less accurate, but require less cleaning.
Well aware Ben shot them all , even a Thompson fully auto Combat ready M1N1 & Browning BAR full auto Machine Rifle . However never cleaned a AR-15 to be honest !

Well aware Ben shot them all , even a Thompson fully auto & Browning BAR . However never cleaned a AR-15 to be honest !
It's really not that hard to clean one, or burn through more then 500 rounds in a day. Heck if you have the mags set up, and do stations you can run through that much in a few hours.

No, never did that. We used to play in an abandoned sand pit shooting clays and plinking. Later on I joined a local club. I worked 3rd shift at that time. I would go there during the day with 5 - 10 toys and target shoot with high powered toys. I always had the range to myself. Everytime I was there I would get a visit by the local PD because some neighbor complained about all of the shooting going on. LOL. I would always ask them if they wanted to fire off a few rounds. They never did. This was a common thing for me to do and downrange would go anywhere from 100 - 400 rounds. I always wore a padded shirt and heavy winter gloves under that for padding. Then surplus ammo prices went up and I stopped going. It was a lot of fun.
I did a lot of my shooting & sighting in also in our gravel pit , Silhouettes & Bulls eyes . Both rifle & pistol & revolver . The municipality brought in their crusher every yr & did a campaign . We got 50 cents a yard back then & any mineral rights . ( lots of copper & lead deposits) lol. Thats were I 1st used my Uncles 22 hornet . It was his personal Parachuters Survivial Carbine . 4 shot clip & peep sight with a forked bayonet front sight ! Silly looking thing with a collapsible steel rear comb . Supposedly for killing predators & varmints I guess for survival purposes . Great squirrel gun & rabbits or fox's perhaps over kill on the rodents though , just red mist syndrome . I think I wore the bore out with over 1000 solid metal jacket army surplus through it lol. Sorry more memory lane ! :rolleyes:

It's really not that hard to clean one, or burn through more then 500 rounds in a day. Heck if you have the mags set up, and do stations you can run through that much in a few hours.
It's not hard. It just takes longer.
And to be clear an AR-15 has zero advantages for my use and some disadvantages.
For a a big game hunting gun I can see zero reason to use one. Again no advantages and lots of disadvantages for my use.

And I am not talking about range work. I talking about killing animals with them.
Sorry killer staying on target is staying on target. Doesn't matter if it's your ground rat or putting 3 hits in a 2 inch circle as fast as you can, or taking out a pack of coyotes.

I'm still trying to understand why you keep saying the AR 15 has no place, when there are numerous semi auto platforms. Jump up to the ar10 platform. Don't like those options get one chambered on 300wm or 338wm. Don't like that grab a m1 grand. 30-06 not for you, don't worry barret has your back. Thats a proven accurate killer out past a mile. Tad heavy, but yeah let's stay on the topic of killing large game. 🤣.
Alright I'm done.

Sorry killer staying on target is staying on target. Doesn't matter if it's your ground rat or putting 3 hits in a 2 inch circle as fast as you can, or taking out a pack of coyotes.

I'm still trying to understand why you keep saying the AR 15 has no place, when there are numerous semi auto platforms. Jump up to the ar10 platform. Don't like those options get one chambered on 300wm or 338wm. Don't like that grab a m1 grand. 30-06 not for you, don't worry barret has your back. Thats a proven accurate killer out past a mile. Tad heavy, but yeah let's stay on the topic of killing large game. 🤣.
Alright I'm done.
I never said they have no place.
I personally think they are garbage. A few guys use them, but I'm jot sure why at all.
I sure as he'll don't want to hump a AR10 through the mountains and no one that knows what they are doing wants to either.

I never said they have no place.
I personally think they are garbage. A few guys use them, but I'm jot sure why at all.
I sure as he'll don't want to hump a AR10 through the mountains and no one that knows what they are doing wants to either.
Mine weighs 7.5lbs, which happens to be the same as my model 70, 7mm mag. Not as light as the Tikka featherweight, but haven't ever minded humping it through the mountains either way. To each their own I guess. My old man has the same thought.

I did a lot of my shooting & sighting in also in our gravel pit , Silhouettes & Bulls eyes . Both rifle & pistol & revolver . The municipality brought in their crusher every yr & did a campaign . We got 50 cents a yard back then & any mineral rights . ( lots of copper & lead deposits) lol. Thats were I 1st used my Uncles 22 hornet . It was his personal Parachuters Survivial Carbine . 4 shot clip & peep sight with a forked bayonet front sight ! Silly looking thing with a collapsible steel rear comb . Supposedly for killing predators & varmints I guess for survival purposes . Great squirrel gun & rabbits or fox's perhaps over kill on the rodents though , just red mist syndrome . I think I wore the bore out with over 1000 solid metal jacket army surplus through it lol. Sorry more memory lane ! :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with memory lane. That is where all the fun began.

You do you, bud.
Curious what the specs are on your AR-10?
Aero precision 5ME1 upper, faxon Match series 24" heavy fluted 5r barrel, rifle length gas system, (barrel came with headspaced bolt). Jp enterprises low mass bcg. SA adjustable titanium gas block. Carbine buffer w/ Jp enterprises silent capture spring set up. Skelontinized custom lower, with a 2 stage Giessle super semi automatic trigger. Magpul furniture. Topped with an Athlon 4-14x44 first focal plane mill dot reticle. I have another standard lower for it, and I wish I bought a second barrel as faxon no longer offers the 24" Match series in 308. If I remember correctly it also has the Teflon coated barrel extension. I wish I bought a second barrel, faxon has discontinued the 24" .308 match series and now only offers a 20" version. Give up too much speed imo with that short of a barrel. I've taken it out to 300 yards with 3/4" groups on bipod and sand bags. I'm sure if I took the me factor out of it, it would shoot better. I've also been very happy with the Athlon scope, for being a $400.00 scope it's clarity is excellent, and I've really grown to like the ffp and mill dot for range finding. Actually I was so happy with it I bought 2 more of them and have them on a Tikka t3x featherweight 300wm and Savage 116 338wm. Don't think I forgot anything, no flash hiders or anything stupid mounted on the end of the barrel, no lights lasers or anything like that.

In idaho soft wood I tried the 90cc stock and ported game.
The saw in my sig pic is a 66 that I used to put down a big fir pictured way over 36" under 5ft I csnt remember exacthow big.
I normaly like to fell trees that arent much bigger than a 32" bar

Ive Bern thinking about reviving my 44 with a 54mm 046 top end.

Otherwise ive just found I keep going back to 70cc as thats the biggest I like to cut with all day.

Ive I lived in hard wood country 90cc might be used more.

I to am unsure about 500i id Luke to get a hold of one so I can compare it to my 372.
Im not up on whst the 462 462 saws are if they are auto tune junk id probly just build a old 460 or just put more intrest in my 44.

Aero precision 5ME1 upper, faxon Match series 24" heavy fluted 5r barrel, rifle length gas system, (barrel came with headspaced bolt). Jp enterprises low mass bcg. SA adjustable titanium gas block. Carbine buffer w/ Jp enterprises silent capture spring set up. Skelontinized custom lower, with a 2 stage Giessle super semi automatic trigger. Magpul furniture. Topped with an Athlon 4-14x44 first focal plane mill dot reticle. I have another standard lower for it, and I wish I bought a second barrel as faxon no longer offers the 24" Match series in 308. If I remember correctly it also has the Teflon coated barrel extension. I wish I bought a second barrel, faxon has discontinued the 24" .308 match series and now only offers a 20" version. Give up too much speed imo with that short of a barrel. I've taken it out to 300 yards with 3/4" groups on bipod and sand bags. I'm sure if I took the me factor out of it, it would shoot better. I've also been very happy with the Athlon scope, for being a $400.00 scope it's clarity is excellent, and I've really grown to like the ffp and mill dot for range finding. Actually I was so happy with it I bought 2 more of them and have them on a Tikka t3x featherweight 300wm and Savage 116 338wm. Don't think I forgot anything, no flash hiders or anything stupid mounted on the end of the barrel, no lights lasers or anything like that.
That blueprint makes my head hurt...
I also find it crazy that it weighs 7.5lbs all up.

Latest posts

Back