A Dusty Dolmar 9010 and Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finishing up a business trip, I had a few extra hours before my last meeting of the day. Looking for a place to grab lunch, I spotted a small OPE shop that had a tiny Dolmar sign in the window. I walked in, hoping to find a reasonably priced 7900.

Unfortunately, they did not have any 7900's in stock. In fact, they were closing out most of their Dolmar line due to slow sales, or so I was told. I stayed to chat with the sales guy for a while. As I was getting ready to leave, he tells me that he thought he had a "big" Dolmar in the back, that they'd had for some time. He asks me if I might be interested. I pretended to be indifferent, but told him that I'd take a look.

He wanders away for a few minutes, and comes back with this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Low and behold, it's a really dusty new 9010 complete with a 32" Dolmar bar and chain. He tells me that it'd been in the shop for at least 4 years, and that they really wanted to get rid of it. He gave me such a good price on it, I had to take it home. So much for the 7900 budget, but this saw was much less than the 7900 and 90cc's, so what the heck.

I did a search on the 9010 here, and came up with a bit of information. It looks like the saw would benefit from a muffer mod, which sounds like a plan.

Does anyone have a picture(s) of an "opened up" 9010 muffler?

Any other advice or thoughts on this saw? I can't wait to fire it up and let it rip!

Thanks

I can't advise on the muffler porting, but just wanted to say that is a nice find! Awhile back, I was researching the new Dolmars, that is the only saw they make with the double ring on the piston. Enjoy!!

I did a MM on my 9010 but I didn't take any pics. The 9010 muffler is very restrictive and I gutted it completely and opened the stock exit to about 1"

Looks like you lucked out on that saw. It should serve you well. All the people that have them say they're great big saws.

I'm pretty sure the muff mod should be pretty strait forward...I think it has little restricter plate in the exhaust outlet that comes out for more exhaust flow...its almost like dolmar wanted you to do this. It "can" be modded for even better flow...this is the just one way that doesn't involve tearing up the muffler....you can put it back to stock it you wanted to. We used one in the tree outifit I belonged to for a stump chaser.....good saw....great saw once you take that little piece of metal out of the exhaust outlet.

I'm pretty sure the muff mod should be pretty strait forward...I think it has little restricter plate in the exhaust outlet that comes out for more exhaust flow...its almost like dolmar wanted you to do this. It "can" be modded for even better flow...this is the just one way that doesn't involve tearing up the muffler....you can put it back to stock it you wanted to. We used one in the tree outifit I belonged to for a stump chaser.....good saw....great saw once you take that little piece of metal out of the exhaust outlet.

Thanks. I'll have to take it apart in the next week or two. Muffler mods are as far as I go with saws; I've never "modded" one other than opening up a muffler. I'll take some pics when I pull it.

Thanks. I'll have to take it apart in the next week or two. Muffler mods are as far as I go with saws; I've never "modded" one other than opening up a muffler. I'll take some pics when I pull it.

The cool thing about the 9010 is that you can undo the mod and put it back to stock....i wouldn't consider it a full on muff mod...it can be opened up a lot more for even more performance. Either way its a beast to be reckoned with!

That's a cool saw. Do they have an inboard or outboard clutch? Also, are they rev limited in any way?

I haven't pulled the clutch cover yet, but I think it's an inboard.

As far as it being rev-limited, I do not know. Anyone?

No its not rev limited! See thread "modding the 9010" its a older thread but very interesting! Your saw is beast as is but has much potential

I had mine out this past weekend working on a 50"-60" red oak stump and was grinning from ear to ear.
I continue to be amazed by how strong that saw is!

Mike

No Decomp

Looks like I'll have to man up on this one, as the saw has no decomp valve. I had an old 044 with no decomp, and loads of carbon buildup on the cylinder walls. That thing nearly took my arm off starting it.

Latest posts

Back