A & E...The art and Zen of the Grunt (Groundworker)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great groundman is very very important. I Never worked with but one or two who had a clue. I had the dumbest groundman ever for a short while. On one job all I had him doing was carrying a backpack with a rope gas & oil and saw wrench, thats all . He didnt have to do anything but be there when we needed the rope or refuel. We were cutting a view with no trims, just slash. I instructed him to stay uphill from us so we could cut the trees downhill. He was constantly in the way. The owner had flown in just for this special job. I really wanted to impress the guy because of the obvious( he was a wealthy developer who was all business). We finaly need the rope so we can pull a tree downhill and the freaking moron had lost the backpack. Made us look like fools infront of the fellow. I finaly melted down and believe it or not gained some respect back from the owner. He commented to me later that it was impossible to find anyone who would work hard with a brain. Several times I had to say to him "Your other left". Guy was/is a moron. I guess I have to take some blame for letting him work.

Nothing works like a team that thinks alike. Groundman with a brain and hardworker to boot is very valuble and deserves respect.

Just to have a groundman take enough interest to read and post here has to be refreshing. I know it would be for me.

Although every task is important, knowing how to run the ropes is the biggest thing I look for in a good groundie.

The groundie I have had with me for about three years now is from the same part of GA as me. We grew up not far from each other and knew a lot of the same people back home. He worked the ground for his brother in law's tree service for around 20 years. He's good on the ropes. We did one Friday where we had to swing almost every limb and chunk out from over the house and land them in the yard before they swung back into the house. He did his job flawlessly. I've got two good rope men that have been with me for 2 years or better now.

That sounds like real good groundies.

My GM has been with me for over 3 years and is smart enough to be a CA, and strong enough to play tight end on 2 state champ football teams. He is honest sober smart attentive caring capable and any other good adjective you can think of. On the other hand I have had a guy who lived full time under a bridge as a gm and I should have just left him there because that is where he belonged.

That sounds like real good groundies.

My GM has been with me for over 3 years and is smart enough to be a CA, and strong enough to play tight end on 2 state champ football teams. He is honest sober smart attentive caring capable and any other good adjective you can think of. On the other hand I have had a guy who lived full time under a bridge as a gm and I should have just left him there because that is where he belonged.

It is good you tried really, some people are just having a bad hand and others deal them:cheers: Most are like you mentioned though.

My current all star gm just needed a chance as he was about a year AA.

I used to be the king of causes and trying to rehab a hopeless case. You get disappointed a lot and I ended up a lot of time throwing a bicycle on my truck and going to the job then ride it back to the lot to get another truck and more equipment. Work all day myself even on big td's.

The groundie that I was talking about earlier, the one who has been with me three years and is good on the ropes is in AA. He was in a halfway house/recovery house or whatever you call it when I met him. He has since moved in to his own place. He has fallen off the wagon a couple of times since I have known him but he straightened up pretty quick both times. He can't make it too long out there on alcohol. He's a pretty good hand. I'm glad I met him and put him to work. Me and my other guys will drink a little beer after work but we wait until he goes home before we break any beer out.

The groundie that I was talking about earlier, the one who has been with me three years and is good on the ropes is in AA. He was in a halfway house/recovery house or whatever you call it when I met him. He has since moved in to his own place. He has fallen off the wagon a couple of times since I have known him but he straightened up pretty quick both times. He can't make it too long out there on alcohol. He's a pretty good hand. I'm glad I met him and put him to work. Me and my other guys will drink a little beer after work but we wait until he goes home before we break any beer out.

I assure you he knows where to get beer if he wants some. I say that because, I have been sober since 95 but if I want a beer, I know where the liquor store is. Someone drinking in front of me does not get me drunk.

I assure you he knows where to get beer if he wants some. I say that because, I have been sober since 95 but if I want a beer, I know where the liquor store is. Someone drinking in front of me does not get me drunk.

Oh believe me, I know he knows where to get it. Actually he prefers Bourbon. I've seen him on a drunk. It's not pretty. :hmm3grin2orange:

The times I've seen him on a drunk, he don't stop, eat dinner or go to bed. This dude will drink for three days straight or better. That is nonstop without eating or sleeping!

He has seen us drink beer before. I meant that he just don't hang out with us when we are imbibing.

Oh believe me, I know he knows where to get it. Actually he prefers Bourbon. I've seen him on a drunk. It's not pretty. :hmm3grin2orange:

The times I've seen him on a drunk, he don't stop, eat dinner or go to bed. This dude will drink for three days straight or better. That is nonstop without eating or sleeping!

He has seen us drink beer before. I meant that he just don't hang out with us when we are imbibing.

Yeah I don't go into a keg party lol but if someone is having a drink and civil it does not bother me!

I don't mind being around someone sipping a cold one but I absolutely hate the shiht faced cocktail lounge laugh. Never minded it when I was the drunk with one of my own lol.

What are you doin on this thread B. Secord you old horney toad? Say something ....the world is waiting lol. I see you down there.

I came up working with treemen and living the work hard, play hard philosophy. Believe me, I drank up a lot of take home pay. I pretty much gave up getting ####faced in my 30's. Just didn't care for getting drunk every night anymore. I still like to drink 2 or 3 and will still howl at the moon every now and then on special occasions. Very rare for me to drink more than 2 beers in a setting anymore. I can't stand to be around obnoxious drunks anymore either. Hell, I can't stand to be around myself when I'm drunk. :hmm3grin2orange:

I gave up drinking the hard stuff when I was around thirty. I couldn't stand working hungover. Funny how well my business took off when I finally grew up a little and quit drinking every night like a fool.

I came up working with treemen and living the work hard, play hard philosophy. Believe me, I drank up a lot of take home pay. I pretty much gave up getting ####faced in my 30's. Just didn't care for getting drunk every night anymore. I still like to drink 2 or 3 and will still howl at the moon every now and then on special occasions. Very rare for me to drink more than 2 beers in a setting anymore. I can't stand to be around obnoxious drunks anymore either. Hell, I can't stand to be around myself when I'm drunk. :hmm3grin2orange:

I gave up drinking the hard stuff when I was around thirty. I couldn't stand working hungover. Funny how well my business took off when I finally grew up a little and quit drinking every night like a fool.

No doubt......and the cure for working with a hangover? Bit o the hair o the dog that bit ya haha.

Not proud of it but we used to get up in the top of a giant oak prune, me and my climber, I would pull up a boom box on a climbing line with a climbing knot , blow a big hooter....and have at it.

21 years sober before you start going safety police on me and wayyyy past the statute of limitations :)

No doubt......and the cure for working with a hangover? Bit o the hair o the dog that bit ya haha.

Not proud of it but we used to get up in the top of a giant oak prune, me and my climber, I would pull up a boom box on a climbing line with a climbing knot , blow a big hooter....and have at it.

21 years sober before you start going safety police on me and wayyyy past the statute of limitations :)

Lol I think many of us old timers lived sorted lives lol:cheers:

My current all star gm just needed a chance as he was about a year AA.

I used to be the king of causes and trying to rehab a hopeless case. You get disappointed a lot and I ended up a lot of time throwing a bicycle on my truck and going to the job then ride it back to the lot to get another truck and more equipment. Work all day myself even on big td's.

Don't ever think that was all worthless effort on your part...your loss was also your gain...right or wrong? Little bit of both?

True...Personal choice...not AA, but I find the hooch store on the way home just as tempting as someone cracking a few around me...

I usually know when to stop...a bit late, but I stop...could not imagine such a life...seems you are helping, though...never knew you might be a role model, eh?

Sober in the tree, on the ground, or both...either way...a sound, safe practice...

Don't ever think that was all worthless effort on your part...your loss was also your gain...right or wrong? Little bit of both?

I like to think that some of them (I know one for sure) eventually got better and my input helped. It is often a cumulative thing. Mine was. (sobriety)

Back