A & E...The art and Zen of the Grunt (Groundworker)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay adjustments or raises...all based on ?

Awhile back I was talking with the boss...yeah, I know I should be sharpening something, but figured...what the hell...
The exchange went something like:

TreeTarget: We should come up with a pay differential based on temperature...70 and above, straight pay; 70-60, +$5 an hour; 60-50, +10 an hour...and so on, in $5 incriments...which follows one of the rules for employing TreeTarget...TreeTarget no do cold...TreeTarget no do heights...

Boss: LOL*#*@*$*#*@LOL*$*#%@*LOL

Well, the response I received was less than helpful, but quite a bit more jovial than I expected...no raise...

Here comes spring.
Finally some work...been a long, scraping-by winter, and I know the boss is feeling the cabin fever alot more than I do...different story and character evaluation...stay tuned...
anyway...We line up some jobs, do pretty damned-good, in my opinion, and feel the burn of winter muscles getting back into what they have missed...

Boss seems to gloss over rule number two of the employment of TreeTarget when he forgets ...TreeTarget no do heights...

Pulled a (non-drunk) Hank Wms. Jr. cliff-fall a decade or so back (not quite so high, but high enough to understand the impact that man has upon the ground and vice versa), and now have a problem with heights.........................................not all heights, just the ones "I" feel uncomfortable with. And what are the acceptable heights, you may ask? Well...all I can say about that is...

Anyway, the job was on a roof, two stories up and overhanging a balcony that would not benefit a fall to the rocky and slanted yard below...

...could not do that job--got on the roof, threw a few branches, but eventually...Boss had to get another guy who could gut it out up there on the roof the next day...

...felt like sewage...

Week or so passes...

Boss picks me up this morning..."...should have mentioned...how do you feel about a roof?"

We did the job...

Last edited:
Sometimes a gm just has to get up on a reasonable roof or two. It is soooo much easier to just lower down onto the roof instead of that anal speed line stuff that everyone has to film (complicating things even more) because it is such a esoteric and time consuming procedure.

Just lower it down to the ground dog and he tosses it off the roof by the chipper. If his knees are a shakin and he can't get on a reasonable roof, he ain't a groundie that works for me. Time to go stock shelves in the local supermarket.

Sometimes a gm just has to get up on a reasonable roof or two. It is soooo much easier to just lower down onto the roof instead of that anal speed line stuff that everyone has to film (complicating things even more) because it is such a esoteric and time consuming procedure.

Just lower it down to the ground dog and he tosses it off the roof by the chipper. If his knees are a shakin and he can't get on a reasonable roof, he ain't a groundie that works for me. Time to go stock shelves in the local supermarket.

That's the plan for tomorrow here.

And Bull- freaking -crap to that. Its just not true.
Are you saying you've never hooked up a speedline? Oh, you don't know what you are missing. Out of every bawss I had that grudgingly griped at me while I was showing the guys how to use it and get it set up , they all went " Ok, I am impressed".
I tend to use a basic system which is no more time consuming then straight lowering and way safer than pitching limbs off a roof.

And Bull- freaking -crap to that. Its just not true.
Are you saying you've never hooked up a speedline? Oh, you don't know what you are missing. Out of every bawss I had that grudgingly griped at me while I was showing the guys how to use it and get it set up , they all went " Ok, I am impressed".
I tend to use a basic system which is no more time consuming then straight lowering and way safer than pitching limbs off a roof.

attachment.php

Don't be like that. Once you see how it works there can be no more denying. Those who know know and that's all I am going to say.

I guarantee I have put in wayyyy more speedlines than you have but then again I have been in the biz wayyy longer than you have.

Most of the time it is easier to just lower it down to a safe to walk on roof.

I guarantee I have put in wayyyy more speedlines than you have but then again I have been in the biz wayyy longer than you have.

Yeah and sometimes a suitable anchor is not there, my rule is if it takes more that 30 minutes to set it up I lower. I will use one if I believe it will be more efficient and safe but if not I lower.

Then what do you find so esoteric and time consuming about it? Hey, I understand some more involved set ups can be , uhm, more involved but really it shouldn't take long.
One thing that might add time to set-up is when the groundies have no concept or iniatiative to do it.

There is no good anchor for the tree I am doing tomorrow. Plus I would only have a tight area to zip the limbs down. High winds and close to power lines. I am opting to lower them on the roof, on the opposite side of the tree from the power lines. I have used them before too and they work great in a lot of situations. I have worked with guys who have set up complicated rigs using a porty and figure 8 to lower limbs in a controlled fashion. Sometimes they work awesome and sometimes it makes more sense to just lower the limbs. Tomorrow's job is the latter scenario.

There is no good anchor for the tree I am doing tomorrow. Plus I would only have a tight area to zip the limbs down. High winds and close to power lines. I am opting to lower them on the roof, on the opposite side of the tree from the power lines. I have used them before too and they work great in a lot of situations. I have worked with guys who have set up complicated rigs using a porty and figure 8 to lower limbs in a controlled fashion. Sometimes they work awesome and sometimes it makes more sense to just lower the limbs. Tomorrow's job is the latter scenario.

Yup man in the tree knows what will and wont work, I was wondering on your tree. I sometimes tie a second rope a few feet up my lowering rope as a tag then when its coming down groundie can pull it clear as I usually lower to him from the tree any more.

Yup man in the tree knows what will and wont work, I was wondering on your tree. I sometimes tie a second rope a few feet up my lowering rope as a tag then when its coming down groundie can pull it clear as I usually lower to him from the tree any more.

Yup, saw Treebot do just that on a tree we did a couple years ago. Worked great!

Oh, I gotcha, I was thinking you were talking about using a secondary line on a speed line to control the lowering.

I'm sure we will be using a tag line on a few limbs tomorrow. We have 15-25 MPH winds predicted. I need to orient myself to which way the wind is blowing when I get to the job. If the wind is blowing towards the lines you better believe all limbs will be tag lined. If it is blowing in the opposite direction (like I hope) maybe not so much. It all depends on what the wind is doing.

The good thing is I have a great natural crotch to lower half of the top right onto the roof. In pieces of course... :D

Oh, I gotcha, I was thinking you were talking about using a secondary line on a speed line to control the lowering.

I'm sure we will be using a tag line on a few limbs tomorrow. We have 15-25 MPH winds predicted. I need to orient myself to which way the wind is blowing when I get to the job. If the wind is blowing towards the lines you better believe all limbs will be tag lined. If it is blowing in the opposite direction (like I hope) maybe not so much. It all depends on what the wind is doing.

The good thing is I have a great natural crotch to lower half of the top right onto the roof. In pieces of course... :D

Good luck man, sounds like you got it covered.

Be careful t md and get some pics brother

Thanks man.

Hey Rope, when old Quinn was down here I put him on a job where he set up a zip line where they had to lower over something (can't remember what) then drop the line real quick before they hit something else. I was working on my own job and only showed up at the end to help him and his guys finish up. He had a porty rigged for the main zip line where the groundie could drop the limb right where it needed to go and he ran the tag line with a figure 8 for a friction device. It was a pretty slick setup with lots of obstacles. That boy has got some tricks up his sleeve when it comes to rigging. :hmm3grin2orange:

Wow, Did you get over it or are you going to be a climber scared of heights?
Don't take this wrong, just wondering because I don't have that kind of time to hope a guy can do it. :cheers:
Jeff

...well, got up on a roof today, so working on it...but understand the need for reliability.

Back