A Question of Money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife's boss sold me my Jonsered 490 a few years ago when we bought a house surrounded by trees that needed thinning. He had several and thought that this particular one would be a good saw to use for weekend cutting. It's the only saw I've used and I'm therefore quite partial to it (it'll be interesting to see what I think of the next one I buy, when I buy it).

My question is this: He sold it to me for $50, which I now suspect as him doing me a favor, because I found the original receipt in the manual (he provided all the maintenance paperwork and documentation with the saw) and he paid $390.00 for the saw in 1980.

I don't know how to apply inflation, etc., but it seems that in real dollars that saw would cost at least twice that if purchased today. Looking around at comparable saws and their prices, I don't think that's in line.

Did he pay too much or is this saw really something special? Curious to hear your comments.

Thanks,

Avery

He probably did do you a favor. $50.00 is a good deal. However, it's still and older used saw. Used is used. Be happy, take care of your saw.

Saw are like computers or any other item. The price stays the same year to year and you just get a little quality improvement for the same money.

You wouldn't expect a cheap chevy from 15 years ago to be sold for three times more money if it was sold new today would you? It would still be a cheap chevy for about the same price.

Thanks. My point was that $390 seems like a lot to pay for a saw 26 years ago.

Latest posts

Back