About to buy gear, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plas, I highly recommend re-reading post #18 by MOSS. Very good scoop there. A tad on the conservative side but slow and steady wins the race in this business. Haste makes waste, or injury or even death, so humbly continue your search for truth about the safest way both here on this site, and with your "pro" aquaintences. Good luck

Plas man, treework aint a hobby. If you really want to learn treework go drag some brush already! No shortcuts buddy, its already been said you just dont want to hear it - possibly because its too much like work??

Aint nobody gonna learn treework off the internet. I'm sure if you really did get a job dragging brush you would meet some real nice people that you could take home to mom - the industry is just littered with nice chaps that would be very helpful in showing you the direction to the nearest BRUSH PILE!

Come on man... I think we all understand that middle aged guys aren't going to jump in as a brush hauler making $8 an hour. It's just not worth our time, and your average homeowner has done plenty of chipping and hauling. A healthy book-knowledge (yes, these are written in blood) and a $600 climbing kit will allow a homeowner to take care of his own trees safely enough. Half of this stuff is common sense or intuitive to anyone that wants to think it through. Doesn't take a rocket scientist [or a reactor operator] to do it.
Plasmech has tapped every resource possible... just try to be helpful.

Sorry, dude, one more less'n helpfull post for this bastard-thread-from-hell. I just couldn't take it anymore from the uppity nor easterners...

Last edited:
Come on man... I think we all understand that middle aged guys aren't going to jump in as a brush hauler making $8 an hour. It's just not worth our time, and your average homeowner has done plenty of chipping and hauling. A healthy book-knowledge (yes, these are written in blood) and a $600 climbing kit will allow a homeowner to take care of his own trees safely enough. Half of this stuff is common sense or intuitive to anyone that wants to think it through. Doesn't take a rocket scientist [or a reactor operator] to do it.
Plasmech has tapped every resource possible... just try to be helpful.

Sorry, dude, one more less'n helpfull post for this bastard-thread-from-hell. I just couldn't take it anymore from the uppity nor easterners...

No, you reply was not worthless. It was right on the money. Sure, if I wanted a CAREER in tree work, feeding a chipper at age 14 would have been a good thing. But I didn't go that route. I went to college to become a mechanical engineer and that's what I do now, and am pretty successful at it. I am pretty confident that I have the intelligence to figure this thing out with books, pro's, and this forum. It's definitely not rocket science. But, I have a LOT of respect for this stuff. I try to think of EVERY possible thing that could go wrong. Also, remember that I am messing around with relatively small, simple trees. I'm not up in a 200-year-old dead oak that was struck by lightening 6 years ago ;) (well not yet anyway, that's a project for next weekend LOL)

HEY! Wait a minute, I just realized you called me middle-aged. Those are fighting words there boy! Kick your butt into next week! LOL (I am 31 BTW)

Last edited:
Even though it is only the beginning of January, I nominate this for post of the year 2009. :jawdrop:

It's a dead pine dude, what am I supposed to rig the lifeline too, a tiny brittle branch at the top? If you have pics of this being done, by all means, post 'em up! Thanks.

No, you reply was not worthless. It was right on the money. Sure, if I wanted a CAREER in tree work, feeding a chipper at age 14 would have been a good thing. But I didn't go that route. I went to college to become a mechanical engineer and that's what I do now, and am pretty successful at it. I am pretty confident that I have the intelligence to figure this thing out with books, pro's, and this forum. It's definitely not rocket science. But, I have a LOT of respect for this stuff. I try to think of EVERY possible thing that could go wrong. Also, remember that I am messing around with relatively small, simple trees. I'm not up in a 200-year-old dead oak that was struck by lightening 6 years ago ;) (well not yet anyway, that's a project for next weekend LOL)

HEY! Wait a minute, I just realized you called me middle-aged. Those are fighting words there boy! Kick your butt into next week! LOL (I am 31 BTW)

Yes, for your age you sound like a kid right out of high school AND a dead pine will snatch your life right away from you. It has a number of ways it can do it.
You should shut up now, take some pics, put em up. Looks like you are in the green.:)

Yes, for your age you sound like a kid right out of high school AND a dead pine will snatch your life right away from you. It has a number of ways it can do it.
You should shut up now, take some pics, put em up. Looks like you are in the green.:)

Do I sound like a kid? My posts have been more mature than some of these 50ish guys on here almost every time.

Let me pose a question: If climbing is SO insanely dangerous, so crazy and reckless, why do YOU guys do it? Maybe you think that because you used to be a groundie that you are immune from death in the tree? Furthermore, if people like you hate me so much for God only knows what reason, why do you keep warning me about being killed? Why not just let it happen, be done with it?

Also, I am no idiot. I am WELL aware that some of the people posting on this forum and others claiming to have years of experience have never set foot in a tree. Even with my limited experience I am starting to be able to sniff some of that out.

And why do you want pics so bad? Are you gay? If you are, I have no problem with that, it's all good.

Plas, I think the problem so of these guys have is the fact that they along with me had to earn our top climbing spots so to speak, kind of like a military thing if you know what I mean, I started as a groundie dragging and chipping brush for what seemed like for ever before I was even allowed to carry a chainsaw other than to fuel it up, my bush axe was my best friend for 3 months even though I knew how to run a saw before I started that job, I had to learn all the knots on the ground and was given a 6 foot piece of rope to practice with, once I learned all the knots then I was issued my climbing gear and started out with a hand saw for about 3 months until I learned to balance myself in the tree then I finally made it to the chainsaw stage, I was a groundie/class C climber for 2 years and a groundie/class B climber for 1 more year then made class A climber which meant no more groundie work, I was a class A climber for 3 years and made foreman.

so, now can you see where some of these guys get their attitudes from, you're stepping on their pride when you just buy gear and jump on a tree, as for me, it doesn't bother me much, the old ways are becoming extinct and people are teaching them selfs as you are, the old timers had to break you down and be sure you were worthy of their training before they would teach you.

Last edited:
After reading all of this thread I'll restate that the gear I'd suggest you buy and why

1) Saddle with a batton seat because it's more comfortable for sitting in and you're not going to be moving through the tree enough for leg straps to be of any real value

2) Climbing line. You can get out of a tree if you choose to. Its a vital piece of gear in every aspect of the trade. You're doing tree work, not logging, get a climbing line.

3) Get a non wire core lanyard. Wire cores aren't as pliable nor as practical for 'everyday' tree work. My personal opinion.

4) The 192 is a waste of money due to its absolute lack of power and if you happen to drop it, you'll most likely ruin the saw as very little is replaceable unlike the 200T.

5) A friction saver if you can afford it is extremely useful when used in conjunction with a climbing line.

Make sure to have someone on the ground who can suggest help when you need it and use a tag line. You'll be uncomfortable and nervous and making notches in a tree is alot harder than when standing on the ground so a tag line will help correct less than perfect notches.

Do I sound like a kid? My posts have been more mature than some of these 50ish guys on here almost every time.

Let me pose a question: If climbing is SO insanely dangerous, so crazy and reckless, why do YOU guys do it? Maybe you think that because you used to be a groundie that you are immune from death in the tree? Furthermore, if people like you hate me so much for God only knows what reason, why do you keep warning me about being killed? Why not just let it happen, be done with it?

Also, I am no idiot. I am WELL aware that some of the people posting on this forum and others claiming to have years of experience have never set foot in a tree. Even with my limited experience I am starting to be able to sniff some of that out.

And why do you want pics so bad? Are you gay? If you are, I have no problem with that, it's all good.

Oh Yeah, nonstop blathering on an elementery level, but just cause you might get a boot in yor butt for it don't let it bother ya, just stop, please.
On and on from day to day AND about your baby steps. Its fine, its exicting. That should answer your question about why we do it and why you want and why you are being so , well, GAY! ( See now I said something I shouldn't have)
Look, don't play dumb, the pics of the trees, yor gear, yor knots, yor knees knocking at 20 feet. Lets see what ya got. Hell, I think someone came up to me and punched me right in the face on my first day, I thought it was part of the job.

It's a dead pine dude, what am I supposed to rig the lifeline too, a tiny brittle branch at the top? If you have pics of this being done, by all means, post 'em up! Thanks.

The climbing line is your means of access to the ground, besides gravity. If this is your first climb on spikes I highly recomend setting a line in the tree before you start and having someone on the ground to belay you while you ascend. At least if you gaff out or decide at 40' this was a mistake you can get down without calling 911. The chain saw should also stay on the ground until you are secured in the tree. The climbing line is the access to get it. You claim to have read the climbers companion, and I know that Jeff does not recomend climbing without a climbing line, did you read it or just look at Brian's artwork?

Plas, I think the problem so of these guys have is the fact that they along with me had to earn our top climbing spots so to speak, kind of like a military thing if you know what I mean, I started as a groundie dragging and chipping brush for what seemed like for ever before I was even allowed to carry a chainsaw other than to fuel it up, my bush axe was my best friend for 3 months even though I knew how to run a saw before I started that job, I had to learn all the knots on the ground and was given a 6 foot piece of rope to practice with, once I learned all the knots then I was issued my climbing gear and started out with a hand saw for about 3 months until I learned to balance myself in the tree then I finally made it to the chainsaw stage, I was a groundie/class C climber for 2 years and a groundie/class B climber for 1 more year then made class A climber which meant no more groundie work, I was a class A climber for 3 years and made foreman.

so, now can you see where some of these guys get their attitudes from, you're stepping on their pride when you just buy gear and jump on a tree, as for me, it doesn't bother me much, the old ways are becoming extinct and people are teaching them selfs as you are, the old timers had to break you down and be sure you were worthy of their training before they would teach you.

You are EXACTLY exactly right, every word. In fact, tonight at dinner I was thinking of making a post like this, how ironic! This post should be made a sticky LOL.

Oh Yeah, nonstop blathering on an elementery level, but just cause you might get a boot in yor butt for it don't let it bother ya, just stop, please.
On and on from day to day AND about your baby steps. Its fine, its exicting. That should answer your question about why we do it and why you want and why you are being so , well, GAY! ( See now I said something I shouldn't have)
Look, don't play dumb, the pics of the trees, yor gear, yor knots, yor knees knocking at 20 feet. Lets see what ya got. Hell, I think someone came up to me and punched me right in the face on my first day, I thought it was part of the job.

If a post or a forum member is annoying you because he's talking on-topic or whatever, did you ever even consider simply ignoring him? Why spam up the thread with personal attacks that have nothing to do with learning the trade? In case you haven't noticed, I am not letting the naysayers get the best of me. I am pushing forward. You have to respect me at least a little for that, come on.

Nothing against you, but you NEED a climbing line at this stage in the game. If anything bad should happen up there it IS the only safe way to the ground. It is also a way to get any kind of tools up to yourself when needed (or even refueling a saw).

Sure many on here climb on spurs and a flipline without a climbing line, but they also have been in the rodeo for a little while.

Also IMO a wirecore flipline "flips" easier than some of the alternatives.

For rope I like safety blue as it just feels right to me. I would recommend finding someplace to handle the different ropes and find something you like and will work for your application.

Last edited:
:p
Nothing against you, but you NEED a climbing line at this stage in the game. If anything bad should happen up there it IS the only safe way to the ground. It is also a way to get any kind of tools up to yourself when needed (or even refueling a saw).

Sure many on here climb on spurs and a flipline without a climbing line, but they also have been in the rodeo for a little while.

Also IMO a wirecore flipline "flips" easier than some of the alternatives.

For rope I like safety blue as it just feels right to me. I would recommend finding someplace to handle the different ropes and find something you like and will work for your application.

I have to concur with you that a life line is a must. I should not have chosen a pine for my first tree, a small decidious tree that gave me a chance in hell to get a beanbag over a healthy sized limb would have been a MUCH better first tree. OK that will be my second tree! LOL.

If a post or a forum member is annoying you because he's talking on-topic or whatever, did you ever even consider simply ignoring him? Why spam up the thread with personal attacks that have nothing to do with learning the trade? In case you haven't noticed, I am not letting the naysayers get the best of me. I am pushing forward. You have to respect me at least a little for that, come on.

You can't figure out if the boot has a steel shank? What is that? I know, you just want some comfirmation before you commit to something you are unsure of. So you should be.
So basically you are some kind of troll, just trolling quickly with tiny bits of bait with questions so inane. What you really want to say is " Uh, I don't know". Everybody is trollin for something so don't feel bad about it. People do understand but you've been rather more than sort of weetawdded. Steel shank? " Forget it. The band wants to play a new set now, lets go.
I had the same kind of problems as you when I joined. Asking stupid questions. Mine where more of a computer literacy and comprehension plus I never read the rules... completely.

I will stop taking you seriously soon, that is based on whether you are serious. I can prove I am serious, its my favorite thing to do BUT can you? What do you think of the pics and videos you have seen around here?
Its great to have some gear but even The Dan had lessons. Want one?

Last edited:
Ok, poney up the money and just get a hank of Arborplex. 120' should be around $70, cheap enough and easy to learn with. When/if you hack it up, it was a cheap lesson to learn.
I did a few pines without a wire core, I bought one quick like! It was an uneasy feeling. I even did a small one without a lifeline, bad idea.
You are getting bashed because you think you are too smart, that is what is going to get you hurt. You have little time with a saw on the ground and now want to do TD's? You need to work on the basics on the ground a bit first. Learn making face cuts properly, learn how to do a "snap cut" and a "jump cut" and what effects they have and why. Learn the physics, ASK yourself "What happens when I do this?" Then do it on the ground and learn. When it's in the tree it reacts even differently in the tree.
But you already know all of this.
Just because you know all the knots and how to "dress" them, are you 130% sure they are right? I mean REALLY REALLY SURE? You are putting your life on these.
But you know that also.
So what more would you like us to teach you?

I am an idiot, I know this. I have a lot more balls than brains when it comes to climbing a tree. As I said I used to only free climb, UNTIL my wife watched one day.
I have had to learn this all the hard way myself. I have had SEVERAL GREAT resources and gleaned waht information they would teach me eagerly and humbly. I still don't know JACK!! I am climbing on a hitch that is all but obsolete in today's world, using old style rope and teqnuiches becasue they are SIMPLE for me to learn and use. And without a mentor right here, I cannot trust much of the newer stuff until I can have it double checked correct.
But you probably knew that as well.

So, you knowing all of this, not much anyone can help you with.
Show a little humility, genuine interest, and realistic ways to remove a tree. I think you might get better advice.
But what do I know, I am an idiot.

Back