About to buy gear, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lmao!
attachment.php
who u callin nut?

Nice nuts! :sword:

Someone asked for pics. You responded something about being gay. Perhaps they wanted pics of the work being done? I would like to see pics of this dead pine. Couple different angles perhaps? How long has it been dead? What killed it/did it die from? Any bad/soft spots leaking sap maybe? Any sizeable wood pecker holes? Does it have to be climbed? Does it have to be pieced down?

Dead pine can have compromised root system causing entire tree to tip over while you are in it. Don't climb past ANY bad spots as to ride the top with you tied to it is beyond the typical adreniline rush to say the least. To have read the books and studied the knots and all, you may be able to slowly self teach, just don't start in a dead pine OK?

Randy

Believe me the thought of that puppy being dead goes through my head quite a bit, especially up top where she sways a bit. It's been dead less than a year. Root flare looks OK, soil is hard. I cannot even imagine riding a tree down, that would suck in such a big way. I didn't see any wounds or leaking sap. Well actually it was 30 degrees F when I was in it. I'd like to talk about this tree more with you, if you want.

I'd like to talk about this tree more with you, if you want.

Pictures of said tree will help a lottttt. Dead trees can have lots of hidden dangers as mentioned. Being able to spot the dangers before riding the tree to the ground is the trick. Is the wood sound? (pine rots fast). Any bug damage? (dead pines attract bugs)

Edit: If you know what your listening for a few good whacks with the back of an axe call tell you a lot. Also bark falling or peeling off isn't a good sign either.

Last edited:
Pictures of said tree will help a lottttt. Dead trees can have lots of hidden dangers as mentioned. Being able to spot the dangers before riding the tree to the ground is the trick. Is the wood sound? (pine rots fast). Any bug damage? (dead pines attract bugs)

Edit: If you know what your listening for a few good whacks with the back of an axe call tell you a lot. Also bark falling or peeling off isn't a good sign either.

Here's the best pic I have of the actual tree:

edit: opps, pic too small...

My biggest fear is that when I drop the top, stresses in the tree will obviously unload, she'll sawy a bit, and I hope she's strong enough to take it, being dead...

Now the top is not leaning at all, but it does have some weight to it.

i didn't know you were a mechanical engineer!!!

forget everything i said!

now,where can i hide?

Back