Accidentally put a splash HEET yellow in my mix...what should I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I went to the gas station to fill up my cans and accidentally started pouring it in my Mixed gas. The Yellow HEET isn't supposed to be used with 2-strokes because it has methanol in it. I'm guessing less than an OZ (probably less than 1/2 Ounce actually) went into the 2 gallons of fuel. The fuel is 93 octane mixed 50:1 with Amsoil Saber. Should I really dump the whole jug, or will it likely be fine with the little amount that went in????

Question... what's the HEET for in the first place? You're in Ohio and gas doesn't freeze until -40 below or so... plus it's summer...
It's water remover....not for the freeze factor. Our local gas stations out where I live have a bad habit of getting occasional water in the gas. Plus my mower sits outta all the time. I meant to put the heet in the regular mower/4-wheeler gas but accidentally poured a small amount in my fresh mix. I've used it before, without incident in 2-strokes before I knew the yellow bottle was a NO NO. Normally I always use the red bottle, but I had bought the yellow somewhere that only had that particular type and I needs some or something.

To clarify, the Red bottle of heet absorbs the water, and you burn it..

The yellow bottle only separates the water from the gas so you always have water in your gas tank or you'll eventually the water wins... AKA, leaves water In tank, rust in tank, and can cause starting and running problems..
After a lifetime of working in automotive and Diesel, this is what I have seen.I hope this clarifies for you the difference. We are in MN, and I haven't seen Yellow heet on the shelves in years.. (but I'm also not looking for it)

Well now I know AND now I feel better about it, because all I'll have to do is use the Mix gas and dump the last bit out of the can. Like I said, I normally buy the red bottle stuff, but wherever was out. I'll likely never buy it again since it doesn't do what I thought and it's not used for 2-strokes either. Thanks for the help.

This is just a bit different fromethods what we experienced with the yellow..
But great info. Thanks Free Will!
We alwayed used straight methanol to ungel Diesel's when we pull them off the road and bring them into the shop or on the side of the road!..

ISO-HEET® VS. HEET® – RED VS. YELLOW - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

ISO-HEET® Brand (red) is a premium water remover and injector cleaner that can be used all year-round and can be used in all types of gasoline, 2-cycle mix and DIESEL. HEET® (yellow) is designed to prevent and treat freezing gas lines and remove some water. HEET® Brand (yellow) is NOT recommended for 2-cycle mix or DIESEL.

Latest posts

Back