Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the off road diesel pumps I've been around use the same hose and novel size as regular diesel. That's why many guys run their trucks on off road fuel.
In Virginia, off road diesel fuel is dyed red,,
The fuel system on diesel vehicles have somewhere you can see the color of the fuel,,

WOOOO is you, if you get caught with red fuel in a road used vehicle,, MAJOR fines,,
During one hurricane, the state relaxed the "red fuel" law,, for emergency use,
It was only about a week then the red fuel ban was back in place.

Maybe the fuel filters are clear?? 🤔

The fuel system on diesel vehicles have somewhere you can see the color of the fuel,,

WOOOO is you, if you get caught with red fuel in a road used vehicle,, MAJOR fines,,

They aren’t clear, but they have a drain valve on the bottom to get water out. The filter elements also stain red so even if you switch back to road taxed fuel the evidence is still there.

They used to carry a stick made of something or another around here that would pick up the colour of the fuel you were running. Don’t know if it would still work for standard trucks or not anymore(do diesels have the little ball in the filler neck) would still work for a big rig though.

All off road diesel is died red. The check you by diping a white wick in your tank.
The fines are around $1000 in my state, but really if your the typical towny diesel owner you will never be checked. Regular state patrol snd local cops don't do it. Only the commercial vehicle division does.

They aren’t clear, but they have a drain valve on the bottom to get water out. The filter elements also stain red so even if you switch back to road taxed fuel the evidence is still there.
Yes, but they have to catch with it in the tank. In theory you could run your truck on your farm for years using red fuel, then drain or switch the tank and run it on the road perfectly legal.

#2 heating oil is red in the Northeast, too.

State now mandates a percentage of it gets mixed with biofuel. Those morons always have to screw with something! Ever since, my boiler misfires, fails to start, and pops the red safety button on occasion - usually for a week or so after a fill up, but not always - depends on what oil company I use.

Nothing sets your mood for the day better than waking up at 5am to a 45° house ... and screwing around trying to get the boiler to fire before you've had breakfast. 🤬

#2 heating oil is red in the Northeast, too.

State now mandates a percentage of it gets mixed with biofuel. Those morons always have to screw with something! Ever since, my boiler misfires, fails to start, and pops the red safety button on occasion - usually for a week or so after a fill up, but not always - depends on what oil company I use.

Nothing sets your mood for the day better than waking up at 5am to a 45° house ... and screwing around trying to get the boiler to fire before you've had breakfast. 🤬
I said earlier heating oil is just off road diesel.

Yeah, it's the same thing- same as diesel, too, just a different color ... but I hear the new diesel has some extra crap in it to keep modern diesel truck's fuel systems alive. Don't know how true that is, though - probably scare tactics to keep people from trying #2 in their Powerstrokes or Duramax's.

I've never actually seen off-road diesel before, since MA makes it impossible for regular Joes to find. Nobody has it at any pumps. It's mostly delivered to job sites by truck to fuel yellow equipment.

Can't find ethanol free gasoline at any pump in the state, either. Must be some stupid confusing half-assed law on the books that nobody can understand, and made everyone afraid to test the waters. Every state around us has ethanol free gas (except for CT and RI as far as I know) - even communist NY has it in some of their premium fuel! Only option here is to buy 100LL from the airport (and deal with eventual lead fouling and pay $7.00 a gallon), or go out of state with a tank or barrel.

Yeah, it's the same thing- same as diesel, too, just a different color ... but I hear the new diesel has some extra crap in it to keep modern diesel truck's fuel systems alive. Don't know how true that is, though - probably scare tactics to keep people from trying #2 in their Powerstrokes or Duramax's.

I've never actually seen off-road diesel before, since MA makes it impossible for regular Joes to find. Nobody has it at any pumps. It's mostly delivered to job sites by truck to fuel yellow equipment.

Can't find ethanol free gasoline at any pump in the state, either. Must be some stupid confusing half-assed law on the books that nobody can understand, and made everyone afraid to test the waters. Every state around us has ethanol free gas (except for CT and RI as far as I know) - even communist NY has it in some of their premium fuel! Only option here is to buy 100LL from the airport (and deal with eventual lead fouling and pay $7.00 a gallon), or go out of state with a tank or barrel.
Ethanol in fuel was there to “help” with emissions but in reality it makes you burn more fuel. All this garbage in the name to be green you know what’s greener maintaining older vehicles/ equipment rather then making more new ones.

Ethanol in fuel was there to “help” with emissions but in reality it makes you burn more fuel. All this garbage in the name to be green you know what’s greener maintaining older vehicles/ equipment rather then making more new ones.
If one really looks at all the emmisions involved in ethanol production its pretty much government gimme to the corn states with no other positives.

All the off road diesel pumps I've been around use the same hose and novel size as regular diesel. That's why many guys run their trucks on off road fuel.
I wonder how the pass their state inspections. The state department of Agriculture here in Illinois and Iowa would put the stop to that quick here. Years ago we had different sized nozzles on leaded versus unleaded gas pumps to. Most guys just punched out the filler neck on their vehicle though.

The few gas stations that sell KERO have a hose on the pump that is only three feet long.
AND, the KERO was clear, not dyed, so you could not tell if it was being used in a vehicle.
(KERO is not "road fuel" taxed)
KERO used to be cheaper than diesel, people were putting KERO in the diesel vehicles, to save money.

So, they installed the short hose, and two pipes that block you from driving near the pump.
That way, only 5 gallon cans could be filled, rather than the fuel tank of a vehicle.
(KERO was SUPPOSED to be used for heat, or cleaning, not a road vehicle fuel)
I don't know why one would want to run kerosene in a diesel vehicle. Around here, diesel fuel is $1/gallon cheaper than kerosene. So some people burn road-taxed diesel fuel in their kerosene heaters.

I wonder how the pass their state inspections. The state department of Agriculture here in Illinois and Iowa would put the stop to that quick here. Years ago we had different sized nozzles on leaded versus unleaded gas pumps to. Most guys just punched out the filler neck on their vehicle though.
No state I am talking about have state inspections, but even if they did running taxed diesel for a few tanks flushes out the dyed diesel.

It was said on here, in this day and age any oil brand is tracible.
I'd like to hear what oil brand is used by US military.

For the guy having trouble with home heat oil after filling up.
It is due to the new charge churning up the water in the bottom of the storage tank.

Back