Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher octane fuel burns slower,, so, would adding a small amount of oil actually slow down the combustion rate of gasoline,
in effect,, raising the octane??

My father in law mowed 6 acres for me one summer, using a Cub Cadet 128, 44" cut.
He ran low on fuel, picked up a can, and filled the tractor, and kept mowing,,,

Later, he filled it again, and kept mowing,,,
It turned out that he was refilling the tractor with kerosene.
The kerosene ran perfect in the 12HP Kohler "K" engine,, as long as the engine was hot.

He stopped for an hour in the afternoon, the engine cooled off, it would not restart.
I siphoned most of the kerosene out, filled it with gasoline,
and kept tossing gas in the carb, until there was enough gas in the carb for the engine to run on its own.

My FIL thought I would be upset,, I explained that is how they ran tractors in the 1930's when kerosene was cheap.
How could I be upset, I got all that grass mowed,, for free!!
Every year, he loved to visit, just so that he could mow acres of grass with that little tractor.
BUT,, he knew to check, and make sure he was refueling with gas!! LOL!!

Might I add we run the cheapest 15w40 fleet oil on our trucks from f350’s to semi tractors and dumps . Change them all at 5k good filters no samples , all out ford diesels are in the 100’s of miles some close to 300k and rigs 500k plus on local miles … NO OIL RELATED FAILURE . Hell we don’t even service the trans in the newer ford diesel’s they pull a skidy and full loaded everyday from f350 to f550’s and some our deleted guys beat the hell outta them , and they RUN ! Hell I run farm and fleet 5w40 in my truck , ***** overrated oils good

Octane ratings aren't as much of a fuel burn SPEED as they are resistance to knock, or igniting under pressure rather than timed ignition. There is a difference in burn speed I've heard from guys that race and tune cars and motorcycles on dynomometers, but it's negligible for everyone else.

Might I add we run the cheapest 15w40 fleet oil on our trucks from f350’s to semi tractors and dumps . Change them all at 5k good filters no samples , all out ford diesels are in the 100’s of miles some close to 300k and rigs 500k plus on local miles … NO OIL RELATED FAILURE . Hell we don’t even service the trans in the newer ford diesel’s they pull a skidy and full loaded everyday from f350 to f550’s and some our deleted guys beat the hell outta them , and they RUN ! Hell I run farm and fleet 5w40 in my truck , ***** overrated oils good
If you get that out of cheap oil, just think of the kind of miles you'd get running Amsoil. ;)

Most of my customers run cheap oil, but they also severely neglect their engines in every way. They're out of tune, running WAY too hot, and just beat every second of their existence. Isn't just the oil's fault ... but in their case, running more expensive oil would cost them less in the long run. If you're going to neglect maintenance, you MUST run the good stuff if you want anything to last.

Higher octane fuel burns slower,, so, would adding a small amount of oil actually slow down the combustion rate of gasoline,

My father in law mowed 6 acres for me one summer, using a Cub Cadet 128, 44" cut.

The kerosene ran perfect in the 12HP Kohler "K" engine,, as long as the engine was hot.

He stopped for an hour in the afternoon, the engine cooled off, it would not restart.
and kept tossing gas in the carb, until there was enough gas in the carb for the engine to run on its own.

My FIL thought I would be upset,, I explained that is how they ran tractors in the 1930's when kerosene was cheap.
Every year, he loved to visit, just so that he could mow acres of grass with that little tractor.
Kerosene was used but the most used fuel would have been distillate or tractor fuel this was a mix of stuff from the in between stages of the old cracking process and no longer made as far as I know. Btw only reason kerosene is so expensive is because that’s what jets use.

I am sure every single person has heard someone say "you get what you pay for" Possibly one of the most common phrases spoken. Is it true? Of course it is...in some cases but not all. In the case of oils and lubricants that is a wide open subject that in all reality has no definitive answer as it is highly subject to one's beliefs. Lets take for example 10w30 motor oil. As of right now Wal Mart (not supporting Wal Mart just using them as an example) shows a 5 quart jug of their house brand 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $17.98, they also list Castrol GTX 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $21.92, and Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $27.47. All are 5 quart jugs and should all be comparable ONLY on their basic description. Now that is a huge difference in price. The question is do you get a better oil by paying more. Of course that is up to your own beliefs. Now if you are one who thinks WalMart has someone in the back wearing a blue smock packing their house brand oil you are sadly mistaken. I do not have any knowledge of where it is being refined but I will assure you it is not in a place only producing/packaging WalMart branded oil. It is coming from a refiner that is producing many different "branded oils" and I am bet a dollar to a donut that it is right along side a big brand name oil in their factory. Now am I saying the WalMart brand at $17.98 is identical to the Mobil 1 at $27.47 no I am not because I do not know.

This is a non-oil example that may shed a bit of information. I assume most everyone knows of the Heinz company. Hard not to know of Heinz Ketchup. Well in the beginning one of their big selling products was soup and they sold lots of it. Now when was the last time anyone on here went into the supermarket and bought a can of Heinz "branded" soup? I am betting no one has and if they honestly have well then they have some age and wisdom behind them. Now does that mean Heinz no longer makes soup? No it does not mean that. Now anyone living on the Iowa/Illinois border and some surrounding states I am betting you are familiar with the HyVee stores. Most of us are familiar with Aldi stores. Anyone ever bought a can of house brand soup at HyVee or Aldi If so you were buying Heinz soup and more than likely made in the Muscatine Iowa plant. Now is the soup you buy for $1.32 at HyVee better than what you buy at Aldi for $0.82. Remember you get what you pay for. I will tell you it is not. In the can is the EXACT same soup. The only difference is the label that goes on it and in the case of Aldi they used to require the cases to have blue shrink wrap instead of clear. How about Kosher soup. Is it better? You want to know the difference, the Rabi would come into the plant and bless it thus it was better. That Rabi used to give my father all types of liquor but dad never touched it. He just smiled and thanked him.

Now as for cheap oil, who knows. i know I do not use it as just like many have said it is actually a small part of the total cost of operation for MOST
Mobil 1 is better. Walmart oil is blended by Warren oil. These days there is no mystery whose oil is going where. And yes you do get what you pay for and that's not debatable. What is debatable is wether you need it or not.

High octane fuel does not burn slower. Slower burning fuel would have the effect of lowering octane rating.

Now why in the hell would I do that? :wtf:

The people that make Saber recommend 100:1, and I went to 66:1 - that's plenty rich. It's worked for the instructor in LA for 5 years, and it's been working for me for two.
Amsoil doesn't refine Saber or produce a single ounce of additive on there own.
What does the motor MFG say? I bet it's not 100:1.

Mobil 1 is better. Walmart oil is blended by Warren oil. These days there is no mystery whose oil is going where. And yes you do get what you pay for and that's not debatable. What is debatable is wether you need it or not.
Well at no point did I say one oil was better or worse than the other and that is not debatable. I brought up a real life example of what goes on today in manufacturing and distribution. Anyone ever bought or known someone who has bought "certified black Angus beef" because it came from a tested and trusted black angus animal? Want some facts I will gladly share.

I agree that sometimes you get what you pay for not always. Oil is no exception nor is any other good or service.

IF you can get through the "cranky" part of old Farts with their warped outlook on things Like das and OIL (ON TOPIC ISSUE) There is so much to be Learnt and mebbe fergot. This is why I read all of this (What Wifey calls crap) and these posts to glean information that is important to ME and my SAWS.
Keep in mind this is added for humor and a bit of entertainment for bored old farts like me.
AND ME

Guess it may also be that they can crack crude to get specific amounts of what they want.
Kero is expensive because the demand is low. It use to be much cheaper when some gas stations had pumps to dispense it. Demand was such that those pumps went away, bow you pretty much have to buy it pre packaged. And of course that drives coat up.
The refinery I work for does produce kerosene, although we call it burner fuel. It's mostly used to blend with diesel to attain the properties we desire.

Back