another splitter question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find lots of differences in opinions on what is the best splitter design. As one poster noted, having the splitter at a height where you can stand up straight, in his case 31", mine is at 25", will make a world of difference on how long you feel like splitting without a break. I built a dedicated horizontal splitter to where the wood is pushed over a wedge fixed to the wide flanged beam. I used a 4x24" cylinder w/ a 16 gpm Haldex 2 stage pump. I added a hydraulic log lift. I used a 11 hp Greyhound engine from Harbor Freight that I run at half throttle. (On sale for $229 at this time.) I have fold up catch tables behind the wedge. Once I pick up the log to split it doesn't hit the ground until it hits the wood pile. This has greatly cut down the stress on my back. I used a mobile home axle, added an oil cooler and have less than $1,200 in it. For this amount and the pleasure of building what I want, I have a splitter I have been offered $2,800 for. The actual tonnage would calculate to be around 15.7 tons. I can split elm without problems.

If you have the time Building a splitter to your own specifications can be very rewarding.

go with the iron and oak i have the 26ton with the 9 hp honda and its a beast nothing chinese in these! seriously they are built like tanks and they have outstanding customer service. i wasnt happy with the length of the tounge on mine, it hit the rer rack on my atv, and i called them and had a longer one in 2 days! no questions asked and no charge they even paid to ship the other one back.:rock: try to get that kind of service from mtd lol i have a mtd mower that has been awsome goin on 3 years of hard use, so no hard feelings:msp_biggrin:

Take a look at the Speeco splitters. Customer service that can't be beat, and great selection, prices & free shipping here!

Latest posts

Back