Another tool to help with firewood. High Lift Jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
High Jack showed up today. Very nice. Wish I had bought this instead of my come-a-long 10 years ago, or the one 30 years ago, that got lost somewhere in my travels. This high jack looks very versatile.
They are a real chin buster, be careful using it because they will tag you good.

Buying the cheap Chicom crap is wasting money. That video is of a good quality Hi-Lift which is far superior to the cheap poop sold today. I have many and they are easily rebuildable unlike the cheap poop today.

Now for getting logs nothing beats a Lewis Winch. I sold a few of mine and still have some.

Buying the cheap Chicom crap is wasting money. That video is of a good quality Hi-Lift which is far superior to the cheap poop sold today. I have many and they are easily rebuildable unlike the cheap poop today.

Now for getting logs nothing beats a Lewis Winch. I sold a few of mine and still have some.

I got an old rusty USA made one for free. Cleaned it up and installed a genuine repair kit. I've got $20 into it.

Am confused, how do you use it for logs?
wrap a chain around one end of log, then hook to jack, lift log, crib it, repeat on other end.
brace jack against something solid, push the log into postition, or until it rolls down a hill.
use the hook on the end and the jack becomes a come-a-long.
the uses are limitless if you have a bit of imagination and no fear of hard work, Logging in the PNW was done with jacks if you didn't have oxen before steam was a thing, push and pull a log until it lined up with your chute then drop it in the water, the death rate was extraordinary around here....

If the intent is to skid a log with the thing, well...you have more time than brains. If your going use it to lift a log up high enough to get something under it to block up a big log...well that's using your brain.

Using it as a winch is dangerous.

wrap a chain around one end of log, then hook to jack, lift log, crib it, repeat on other end.
brace jack against something solid, push the log into postition, or until it rolls down a hill.
use the hook on the end and the jack becomes a come-a-long.
the uses are limitless if you have a bit of imagination and no fear of hard work, Logging in the PNW was done with jacks if you didn't have oxen before steam was a thing, push and pull a log until it lined up with your chute then drop it in the water, the death rate was extraordinary around here....

Yup. Lots of tricky spots where any movement will help. So far my buddy and I “have done so much for so long with so little that we can now do practically anything with nothing.” The jack is going to make the impossible, almost possible. :yes:

Got it all figured out. After putting some 3-in-1 oil into all the moving parts the jack works smoothly. Going to be a nice tool. I've a post in the ground, been there since I move here, that the Jack will yank out. Raining all day today, but will really test out the jack once the ground dries out a bit.

1695397830387.jpeg

Using it as a winch is dangerous.

As has been mentioned, they are excellent as a short-travel come-a-long, when used with chains. Not at all in the same league as a decent chain hoist, though.

BTW: I have always called them "farm jacks", and my peers seem to know what I am talking about.

Latest posts

Back