Welding Blankets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mean like silica, or fiberglass?
Gee what the redacted do you think welding blankets are made out of?
Well that they are . Insulation works by having air trapped in it . That’s why you can’t compress it into the cavity . Welding blankets do stop heat but are not nearly as effectively. More keeping sparks away from flammables or delicate surfaces. Behind my stove that’s at the rental house I built walls with metal studs about an inch away from the cement foundation I installed Roxul Rockboard directly to the foundation then used their insulation in the framing ,its rock wool made with melted rock spun like fiberglass insulation but won’t burn . It can be used in a kiln too . I put cement board and then bricked it . I’ll get some pictures tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Roxul-Rockbo...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138871601984&psc=1

I was using cement board (not hardybacker) I finally broke down a set tri colored slate tile on it so it wasn't so obtrusive. Got a pellet stove in the kitchen, same thing. The brand name is Durock 3x5 and 4x8 sheets

Air space or air space with some form of barrier are your two choices. Mortar and stone would look the most appropriate, a sheet of stainless with a 1 inch air gap would also function well. Fiberglass is a bad idea not just for the itchy scratchy on your skin but you are also breathing its dust in and now its in everything in your home. I'm all for being cheap, mortar and stone is cheap if your providing the labor and its been used to contain fire for hundreds of years in homes. Collect your own stones and buy the mortar, chipping hammer and trowel.

Air space or air space with some form of barrier are your two choices. Mortar and stone would look the most appropriate, a sheet of stainless with a 1 inch air gap would also function well. Fiberglass is a bad idea not just for the itchy scratchy on your skin but you are also breathing its dust in and now its in everything in your home. I'm all for being cheap, mortar and stone is cheap if your providing the labor and its been used to contain fire for hundreds of years in homes. Collect your own stones and buy the mortar, chipping hammer and trowel.
I agree that is the best but for whatever reason he chose to install the stove way too close to the wall.

1694628439433.png

Still gotta do trim. Duroc with slate 4" air gap on wall 6 on floor, past insurance on modular home. Fresh air intake underneath. If you have to get insurance on your house most of the ideas on here won't pass the inspection. Be safe, it's your house.

Awesome stuff, mostly silica base. My brother has been designing and constructing fireplaces in new homes for over 35 years. He doesn't buy pre-made firebrick morter. He makes the whole mix himself. Cement, lime and silica. More lime for lick 'em stick 'em veneers for more solid placement and adhesion. Course sand used for stucco type fireplaces added for texture. Silica has a long heat retention when used in solar walls for heating bulk. In morter it cools very slow so it does not crack or fissure. Finer grit silica used for mixing grout for natural rock tile veneers.

Awesome stuff, mostly silica base. My brother has been designing and constructing fireplaces in new homes for over 35 years. He doesn't buy pre-made firebrick morter. He makes the whole mix himself. Cement, lime and silica. More lime for lick 'em stick 'em veneers for more solid placement and adhesion. Course sand used for stucco type fireplaces added for texture. Silica has a long heat retention when used in solar walls for heating bulk. In morter it cools very slow so it does not crack or fissure. Finer grit silica used for mixing grout for natural rock tile veneers.
There is a reason brick and mortar is used, it lasts and it works. I am amazed by the skill of all tradesmen and masons are amazing. Just look at the skill it took to build this.

1694806245913.png

I have had to burn in the mornings. Welding blanket is 120 or higher while the logs behind the blanket are 90 degrees or less. Looks like crap, but does the job. Money well spent. Success.

So blankets do indeed fix a piss-poor and totally incorrect installation. I hope you at least used 3M blankets

Red Green would be proud :omg:

1696726192552.png

Outside it is in the teens. I've had the stove going full blast for over 5 hours. Max temp on the stove is 570, on the blanket I measure 124, and behind the blanket on the cabin logs it reads 88.

Welding Blanket is a Success!!!
Not quite.................

I would be concerned about the loose glass fibers.

I don't mess with it, and there is nothing collecting on the floor, so no concern. Not sure if this will be used next year. Come spring time and I get started on my welding project this blanket will get use for actual welding. Next year, I might put up some moving blankets, which might be just as effective, and also not catch fire. Catching fire was the reason for the welding blanket, and nothing on fire yet, but logs in the stove. Success!

I don't mess with it, and there is nothing collecting on the floor, so no concern. Not sure if this will be used next year. Come spring time and I get started on my welding project this blanket will get use for actual welding. Next year, I might put up some moving blankets, which might be just as effective, and also not catch fire. Catching fire was the reason for the welding blanket, and nothing on fire yet, but logs in the stove. Success!
You would be better served by hanging some sheet metal like roofing panels behind the stove .

Latest posts

Back