Welding Blankets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thoughts on welding blankets as extra protection for walls near the wood stove. Sometimes my walls logs can get to 120+ when the stove is really cranking. Not to concerned with the walls catching fire, but maybe aging faster then the rest. IDK. I'm thinking of a fire resistant/proof welding blanket that I can hang from the wall during the winter. Anybody? Good/Bad?

https://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-Weld...67e-478a-8dad-39d992588ddf&pd_rd_i=B07XSFXG95

If a wood surface near your stove is repeatedly overheated, over time it degrades so that it can eventually ignite at a lower temperature. That's a risky situation.

Years ago when we had a similar setup, we mounted an aluminum foil barrier behind the stove, but set out a little from the wall so it could not conduct heat to the wall. The alum foil reflected heat, and the wall remained cool to the touch.

Regardless how you do it, you want a heat shield between the stove and any combustible surface, with an airspace between the shield and the wall.

You could stand a couple of pieces of rock wool insulation behind the stove. It's fire retarded

And the experiment begins. Cold mornings are becoming colder and colder so I am having to run the wood stove each morning. The 4'x6' blanket is up and a gap is created. Sometime in the winter when I have a roaring fire going I'll measure the temp of the log wall behind and see if this is helping to keep the log temps from moving much higher then a 100 degrees.

Not all that attractive, but if Royalty ever calls, I'll just take them down for the visit.

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

And the experiment begins. Cold mornings are becoming colder and colder so I am having to run the wood stove each morning. The 4'x6' blanket is up and a gap is created. Sometime in the winter when I have a roaring fire going I'll measure the temp of the log wall behind and see if this is helping to keep the log temps from moving much higher then a 100 degrees.

Not all that attractive, but if Royalty ever calls, I'll just take them down for the visit.

View attachment 1110747

View attachment 1110749
Last time I did something like that I used a leftover piece of corrugated decking. worked well for the heat, not pretty to look at.. although it comes in colors or galvanized.

Last time I did something like that I used a leftover piece of corrugated decking. worked well for the heat, not pretty to look at.. although it comes in colors or galvanized.
As previously stated, weld blankets are not for heat.. They are for spark protection. While they will help draft the heat away from the wall , there are better materials for said heat shield.. A roll of heavy duty tin foil could keep you from " burnin down the house", and pretty in-expensive.. I always wanted to try one of those fans that go on top of the stove.. powered by the heat I think.

I'm just gonna skip right past blankets letting heat through....

some good ole corrugated roofing, with some nice edging work done, stand it off about an inch, would look better then whats basically a tarp hanging in the wall
or take some time to work up a field stone back drop as a permanent solution?

no... no I can't... if welding blankets let heat through, then why are they used to insulate preheated parts?

Not much of a test, but this morning the blanket was 91 degrees while the logs behind were cooler, 85 I think it was. I measured the wall to the sides of the blanket and they were hotter then what was behind. I'll know more, success or fail, when I get the stove real hot in a couple of months.

Back