Another tool to help with firewood. High Lift Jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't see it as a substitute for a come-along. A come-along is smaller, lighter, and has a 10-12ft travel. If it has chain hooks on it you can reposition it and travel the full length of your chain plus the cable.
There is no one tool for all jobs. A quality Hi-Lift has it's place and is wonderful for certain jobs. I will say I have never nor will I ever use one on a log.

If the intent is to skid a log with the thing, well...you have more time than brains. If your going use it to lift a log up high enough to get something under it to block up a big log...well that's using your brain.

Using it as a winch is dangerous.
They can be used as a winch but you only get <4' of pull. Better than nothing.

They are great around a farm for many uses.

If you use the jack to lift the log, have something to go under it before cutting as they will go sideways easily with soft ground and a heavy log.
Put rounds under, BEFORE you start cutting. Log will be off the ground even if you don't finish the cut. Move on to next cuts until the bar won't pinch. Then log is off the ground and finish past cuts, use a peavy to turn the log

Hi-lift must be a brand name?..

They are called a jackall around here. A totally necessary bush/farm tool

Yes, they can kill you in several different ways.

That's why I have two :laugh: . And that's why they were banned in my workplace many years ago.

They go along with all of the other stuff I have that will kill me if I make a mistake.

The demonstration of the out-of-control jack is excellent, but would be better (much more violent) if the jack had some real weight on it.

Get "2" 2x4's. 2bolts, 2 washers, and 1 wing nut. Attach 2x4's to top end of jack. Swing the 2x4's out to the front when jacking. Keeps jack from going forward when jacking stumps, logs, etc..

I got steel. Neighbor has Tractor cab and something else (tractor related) he can't quite identify, that he is giving to me. I went and looked at it all yesterday, and some of it is real heavy duty. I'll start dismantling the cab and start stripping off the finish paint. Making the above high-jack attachment will be a spring project. :yes:

I try posting again. Get 2 2x4's, one bolt, two washers, and one wing nut. Attach to the jack at the top. Keeps the jack from going forward when jacking up a log, etc..

I've got 3 of them and I constantly keep a heads up when using them.
That coconut can easily be a head, in the video and they will jump sideways fast.

When I really needed one to operate correctly and no lube readily available I've had to pour water on them or pee to get the up/down going. Be sure and oil one later after using the Pee method.

I've got one that I built adapters for breaking down the small lawn tractor tires, The adapter are different sizes per the rim size and just fit over the rim close to the bead and jack the tire down to break the bead loose. Works great on the 4-14 inch rims. I have a tire changer but some of the small rims will not fit on the tire changer for breaking the bead loose from the rim. I fix my own Ranch/Farm eq flats and change tires.

They are useful for getting something moved sideways. Jack high, and push the whole issue over sideways. Voila, you've just moved one end 6" to a foot over.

Don't try this at home.
Done it many times................not advisable

10% off, free delivery, met my requirements and with good reviews.

Will be nice to have when attempting to get a large log out of a tricky spot. Along with my 5 ton come-a-long this should work out well for my needs. Many other uses as well.

I'll assess the quality when it shows up.

View attachment 1112905

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Utilit...5e4-811d-69c64b9c67f4&pd_rd_i=B0C8S7WMD5&th=1
They seem to be a status symbol now, bolted to the hood of every "off road" vehicle around here. You probably have seen them, the ones with the lift kits, fuel cans and the snorkel that have never left the highway. The best part is most of these clowns wouldnt know what to do with it and don't have any place on their vehicle to actually lift it from.

Back