Welding Blankets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much of a test, but this morning the blanket was 91 degrees while the logs behind were cooler, 85 I think it was. I measured the wall to the sides of the blanket and they were hotter then what was behind. I'll know more, success or fail, when I get the stove real hot in a couple of months.
Why ignore common sense................brick and mortar

As previously stated, weld blankets are not for heat.. They are for spark protection. While they will help draft the heat away from the wall , there are better materials for said heat shield.. A roll of heavy duty tin foil could keep you from " burnin down the house", and pretty in-expensive.. I always wanted to try one of those fans that go on top of the stove.. powered by the heat I think.

I did read a lot of reviews months and months ago. People were using them to insulate BBQs. I don't really remember, but it sounded like they were good insulators for heat. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work as well as I hope, and if so I can use this welding blanket for other things, like welding. :)

Why ignore common sense................brick and mortar

I'd have to move the stove out away from the wall to do a brick and mortar. With the stove out from the wall there would not be a problem left to solve. I'd like to bring the stove out, but putting in some angle piping would cause a creosote problem that would be a worse problem. And I really don't have a problem. The present situation has been working fine for 10 years, but sometimes I can really really get the stove hot, and I get concerned.

I'd have to move the stove out away from the wall to do a brick and mortar. With the stove out from the wall there would not be a problem left to solve. I'd like to bring the stove out, but putting in some angle piping would cause a creosote problem that would be a worse problem. And I really don't have a problem. The present situation has been working fine for 10 years, but sometimes I can really really get the stove hot, and I get concerned.
I highly doubt you have to move the stove other than temporarily to pull the drywall install cement board and face it with a stone tile or brick.

I'm just gonna skip right past blankets letting heat through....

some good ole corrugated roofing, with some nice edging work done, stand it off about an inch, would look better then whats basically a tarp hanging in the wall
or take some time to work up a field stone back drop as a permanent solution?

no... no I can't... if welding blankets let heat through, then why are they used to insulate preheated parts?
Insulation , or lagging is usually accomplished with Refrasil or similar material. Insulation other than fire prevention.. similar but different.

I would have expected the logs to be in worse shape considering they haven't been protected at all. How long has that stove been in place?

Edit: I see you answered this already. That's a long time for those logs to be drying out.....

Don't forget about the floor around it also if you haven't already done something.

wJust a thought but...It sounds like your stove is positioned too close to the wall and would not stand an inspection. In case of a fire, your insurance would not pay. My stove would not pass but does meet code with that cement board and 1" space behind it. Yes my insurance agent DID inspect it.

wJust a thought but...It sounds like your stove is positioned too close to the wall and would not stand an inspection. In case of a fire, your insurance would not pay. My stove would not pass but does meet code with that cement board and 1" space behind it. Yes my insurance agent DID inspect it.

Mine was professionally installed. It does have a heat deflector, required cause of its closeness to the wall. Maybe codes have changed since the install. IDK.

Mine was professionally installed. It does have a heat deflector, required cause of its closeness to the wall. Maybe codes have changed since the install. IDK.
You might want to find a new "professional" as post #1 and your pictures clearly show it was NOT installed correctly.

Thoughts on welding blankets as extra protection for walls near the wood stove. Sometimes my walls logs can get to 120+ when the stove is really cranking. Not to concerned with the walls catching fire, but maybe aging faster then the rest. IDK. I'm thinking of a fire resistant/proof welding blanket that I can hang from the wall during the winter. Anybody? Good/Bad?

You fill the house with glass fibers.
My welding blankets make me look like a Christmas ornament when using them, I had to go home and change clothes a week ago because all the sparkles were driving me nuts itching.
I grew up filling the field sprayer with a fiberglass tank exposed fibers. I was so happy when it went the hell and Dad swapped to a more "modern tank" I would itch constantly

I grew up filling the field sprayer with a fiberglass tank exposed fibers. I was so happy when it went the hell and Dad swapped to a more "modern tank" I would itch constantly
My blankets look like what he hung up behind his stove and they shed glass fibers horribly, I wouldn't want them in my house.

My blankets look like what he hung up behind his stove and they shed glass fibers horribly, I wouldn't want them in my house.
I agree. I am a pretty simple man and I just figure if you install it right the first time you do not have to fix it later.....opinions differ. No doubt brick and mortar will "burn" but when was the last time a volcano erupted in a house..................

Back