anyone have a mikita chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita bought Dolmar. Dolmar makes their chainsaws. Good quality saws. Biggest problem is typically lack of dealers and support.

I have the 64cc and I really runs.
Little hard to start when it's hot and you run it dry but I think I may need a new plug or wire.

It's a little heavy for the small stuff but great in the big stuff.
Chad

I love my 6400. Got it for $275 as a used rental from Depot. Very strong saw

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

have dollies since 2000- 116si and 112, the stable grew over time with a pair of 79xx and pair of 64xx And one of the 64xx wears the blue coat- another HD cast off. I try to keep a bit of redundancy just in case. Like when the older 7900 popped a base gasket about 6 years ago. That was real strange as you hit the kill switch and it would start running faster instead of stopping - wouldn't stop till ya put to a log. Then it would bog out. New updated base gasket good as new.

Love my Dolmars. Have a 421 and a 5100s. First 2 grabs - before the other orange ones I have. Eventually I will probably switch over to all Dolmars.

Sawing with three now, traded/sold the PS 32 I had been using sparingly in the bucket truck for a PS 421 for limbing. Love my three saw family:
P1080111.JPG

Personally hate to see them turn Teal, but that is a personal preference. And, seems I won't likely be needing another saw anytime soon.
My local dealer has stopped selling them, but maintains his service certification or whatever it's called. Fact of the matter, I've never needed any service on any. The 510 is about 6 years old and served as my firewood saw through that time. Bought the 6100 from dealer going out of business on his last day at a great price. Then more accurately just wanted a 421, so I sold the 32 and added cash for the 421 from a member here who is a pleasure to work with.

The only thing different with these babies is the scrench. requires a 1/2" scrench, which are different than my other orange saws.

My 6421 (Makita dressed) is my go-to saw for the larger wood around here. I just finished cutting up a large fallen branch off of a friends large red oak. I got nearly 2 full cords of cut, spit, stacked firewood out of that branch. The 6421 had some good use for about half that branch, as the butt end was 32" in diameter, and I had to noodle down the large rounds to manageable pieces to get it out of his woods.

Two full cords from one fallen branch? That oak must be huge. The firewood guys upstairs would love to see a Pic of that puppy. So would I. We have a 105 ft tall pin oak still standing in north Omaha. The first branch is 35 ft up. I believe it holds the state pin oak record. Somehow the big storms have avoided it. Here is a cross section of the biggest branch I have ever cut and I used a Makita to do it:

That's from a 110 year-old ginkgo tree, first branch up. The tree is still standing. I will never load another round that big. It bent the truck's tailgate.

Two full cords from one fallen branch? That oak must be huge. The firewood guys upstairs would love to see a Pic of that puppy. So would I. We have a 105 ft tall pin oak still standing in north Omaha. The first branch is 35 ft up. I believe it holds the state pin oak record. Somehow the big storms have avoided it. Here is a cross section of the biggest branch I have ever cut and I used a Makita to do it:
That's from a 110 year-old ginkgo tree, first branch up. The tree is still standing. I will never load another round that big. It bent the truck's tailgate.

The oak is an old pasture tree, from what I can tell, as some of the other trees around it and in the area are maybe 40 years old. So, this big oak is not hugely tall, but branched out. It most definitely had no competition for at least half it's years. On the last cross-cut of the fallen branch, I counted roughly 80 rings/years old. This branch was the lowest on the tree, about 20 feet up. I didn't take any pictures, but I can get one of the tree sometime.

Huge trees are awesome. Very tall pin oak you mention.
Hey, that's a huge ginkgo biloba. I've never seen one that big around here. Maybe 1/3 that big.

Latest posts

Back