Attracts moisture!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlrookie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just returned from the Stihl dealer, bought an FC 95 Edger. Anyway, talking to the sales guy he tells me that the red Stabil attracts moisture and I should be using the marine grade Stabil. I have never heard this before. I add stabil to my mixed gas and straight gas in the fall to store through the winter and that is the only time. I also am able to purchase ethanol free gas. Sales guy also proceeded to tell me that with good gas I should be able to store engines fully fueled for at least 6 months without problems. Mainly just wondering if anyone has experience with the red Stabil causing moisture issues?

View attachment 298638

As far as I know, there isn't anything in stabil that would attract moisture. The ethanol in gas will.

Someone once told me Stabil contained alcohols in it. They said why go to the trouble of buying ethanol free gas and then add alcohol to it with Stabil. Don't know if this is gospel or not; I haven't read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Stabil. Based on this hearsay, I go with Startron or Sea Foam.

I have a coworker who claims the marine formula stabil is better. Not sure what he bases this upon.

I grew tired of searching yesterday. From what I could find there does not appear to be any indication that Stabil will attract moisture. As I said before, I can find good gas so not to concerned with storing for a few months without additives. I do like to add Stabil before winter to all my engines. Yet to have a fuel related issue doing it this way for years.

Few years ago I emailed Stabil to ask about the Red and ethanol. They told me the Green Marine is basically double strength Red. I dunno..

I do know that since I started running it I have almost eliminated all of my fuel issues. Worth it or not? For me I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It makes me happy.

No alcohol in Stabil; from the Stabil web site: Stabil Myths Busted

Seafoam is 10 to 20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol): http://seafoamsales.com.previewc40.carrierzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MSDS_seafoam_EN.pdf

I have used regular red Stabil with MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in all my OPE for years with ethanol polluted fuel and it has worked great for me.

I have just used MMO at the rcommended 4oz/10 gallons the last 4 years. No problems, but i also run everything dry if it is going to sit more tha a week or two:dunno:

The issue with regular Stabil, is the fact it does nothing to prevent phase separation, or the other issues associated with ethanol laced fuels. I know Stabil offers ethanol and marine versions that are said to work just fine. However if I were going to use a treatment it would be Startron, or Ethonal Shield. Based upon it's base ingredients I don't see Sea Foam doing anything for ethanol laced fuels.

Honestly most issues with fuel can be avoided by simply keeping the fuel fresh, and never storing any equipment with fuel in the system. I don't care what type of fuel or fuel treatment is used, it's never a good idea.

It's always a good idea to treat your fuel whether you use it up quick or not. Even when you get gas from the pump, it could be contaminated with traces of water. You don't know how long the gas has been sitting in their tanks. Avoid cheap discount type gas stations. Use top tier fuels, 89 or higher with Ethanol Shield and HP Ultra. You will be set!

Back